PDA

View Full Version : Chevy PU took me down this morning

nc5p
30th January 2005, 02:00
Went to breakfast this morning with the wife on the back, a white chevy pu was in front and he crossed over the double yellow into the opposite lane and slowed a bit, then he made a RIGHT turn into his driveway right in front of me. I dropped the bike and slid under his back wheel, just missed getting crushed by him. They took us to the hospital and the bike is banged up but my son rode it home later. Now we get to fight with the insurance, etc. to get it fixed. The real pain (yea, the bruises and sprains hurt) is my son now doesn't have a way to get to night school this week. It can be rode but things are pretty bent up and I don't think it's really safe.

I have had hundreds of near misses but I guess it was my time to have it happen. I'm just glad we were both wearing all our gear. The leathers are gouged up and my helmet has a big gash in it but we are home tonight!

Doug
2004 883>1200 Custom

Broncodog
30th January 2005, 02:03
Better the leathers than your skin! Glad your OK and were able to walk away from it.

alleydude
30th January 2005, 02:08
I can sympathize. Hope you feel better soon! And glad it wasn't worse.

PlanB
30th January 2005, 02:08
Doug, good to hear you and the wife aren't seriously hurt...my brother had a similar situation, but he didn't fare as well as you (not fatal, but real serious)...be assertive with the insurance company...maybe you can work out getting a rental until yours is fixed...tell them it's going to be a real inconvenience being down one piece of transportation...good luck, and keep us updated! Mike

txsporty
30th January 2005, 02:16
Sorry to hear about it your Mishap!!! Thank God, just the Scoot is worse then the two of you!!

vetthed
30th January 2005, 02:21
glad to hear no one was hurt bad. good luck with the scooter.

pquirk
30th January 2005, 02:28
Glad to hear your okay. I had the same thing happen to me and I'll never figure out what posesses people to swing so far out to make a right turn. In my case the dumb-a$$ was driving a garbage truck. Fortunately for me I was in my Jeep and not on the bike. The guy tried to fight it in court and his (the garbage company's) insurance didn't want to pay. The judge pretty much laughed at the stupid SOB and scolded him for wasting the court's time. That resulted in the insurance company coughin' up the cash. Same should happen for you, good luck.

Wardog
30th January 2005, 02:36
Glad to hear you are ok. Hope that the insurance company doesn't give you to much grief.

Darhawk
30th January 2005, 02:44
Glad to hear it wasn't worse than it was. It's you and your wife that's important, the steel and plastic of the bike can be fixed, life and limb is another matter however. It's smart not letting your son use the bike if there is any question whatsoever about its safe operation.

Around these parts, you described a typical right hand turn......it's called the farm tractor pulling honey wagon turn.........that experience teaches one to avoid. It's also taught as part of the MSF course here abouts........both in class and in riding course by the instructor (following the instructor on his bike, we had to make various stops, lane changes, etc. based on his actions).......anticipating what the driver in front may do, not what you think he is doing. 39 years of experience and I still learn in MSF classes and in these threads by folks sharing experiences such as yours.

Gyahmers
30th January 2005, 02:45
Thank God you and your wife are alright and are home safe. Hopefully the person driving the car is insured.

Here in California uninsured motorist figures are estimated at 22% while the San Fransisco Bay area and Los Angeles estimated figure is 50%. Can you believe that, 50%? And I live in that 50% catagory...

Excerpt from the Insurance Journal:

California's big city problems
California has around 26 million registered drivers and the IRC estimates that 22 percent of them are uninsured. Moraga said the IINC, using figures from the Department of Motor Vehicles as well as the IRC, estimates that in Los Angeles and in the San Francisco Bay area, the numbers of uninsured motorists can be as high as 50 percent. Meanwhile, another insurer group, the Personal Insurance Federation of California (PIFC) believes overall around 25 percent of the state's drivers are uninsured and that in certain pockets of Los Angeles the uninsured driver population can reach as high as 75 percent.

Mountainrun
30th January 2005, 03:29
I'm glad you and the wife are ok nc5p.

willprevale
30th January 2005, 04:18
A really unfortunate incident. Glad you two are Ok.

cantolina
30th January 2005, 04:59
Went to breakfast this morning with the wife on the back, a white chevy pu was in front and he crossed over the double yellow into the opposite lane and slowed a bit, then he made a RIGHT turn into his driveway right in front of me. I dropped the bike and slid under his back wheel, just missed getting crushed by him. They took us to the hospital and the bike is banged up but my son rode it home later. Now we get to fight with the insurance, etc. to get it fixed. The real pain (yea, the bruises and sprains hurt) is my son now doesn't have a way to get to night school this week. It can be rode but things are pretty bent up and I don't think it's really safe.

I have had hundreds of near misses but I guess it was my time to have it happen. I'm just glad we were both wearing all our gear. The leathers are gouged up and my helmet has a big gash in it but we are home tonight!

Doug
2004 883>1200 Custom

With all due respect, I have a few questions...

Did he signal in an appropriate manner?
What were the approx speeds?
How close were you?
Did you, at any time, make an assumption about his intentions, and was it?

I only ask to learn...

Thanx!

cantolina
30th January 2005, 05:02
I'm sorry, where are my manners?

I'm VERY glad you two are ok. The wife and I love to ride butI am constantly worried when she is onboard....

Shark Doctor
30th January 2005, 05:17
I'm VERY glad you two are ok. The wife and I love to ride but I am constantly worried when she is onboard....

I agree on both counts, and am certainly glad you're both alright. I never believe it's safe to pass on the right until I see the vehicle turn to the left. A bit slower. A lot safer! Ya just never know... :yikes

stevo
30th January 2005, 05:32
Good ta hear it's only bumps and bruises.... bikes can be fixed easier than bodies..

Had a close call myself today with a new Pajero

I'd been out at the drag strip all mornin doin wheelies and stoppies, so I've got FULL gear on..
Decided to go for a cruise down the waterfront on the way home..

Comin up to a set of lights they went to amber and I thought "clear run I'll go thru"
Just as well I did as this clown in said Pajero turned into my lane to get around the car in front of him that had decided to slam his brakes on, and I had to swerve, If I had of been brakin I woulda been hit.... and I was only doin about 45kays.

The safest place is the race track and the most dangerous place is the road...

collinsb
30th January 2005, 05:47
NC5P,
That is one scary incident! I'm glad your fingers are still working to tell us about it. It reminds me to be careful. I'm glad you all are not hurt!
Billy

Mountainrun
30th January 2005, 13:40
With all due respect, I have a few questions...

Did he signal in an appropriate manner?
What were the approx speeds?
How close were you?
Did you, at any time, make an assumption about his intentions, and was it?

I only ask to learn...

Thanx! I'm also in Albuquerque and I can tell you turn signals are rarely used and even then often are used only at the exact moment of the turn. Stop signs are only a suggestion, and it's not too unusual to see someone make sudden turns from the wrong lanes. The only assumption I make when riding is that I'm completley invisible. I'm just thankful the city wants to crack down on jaywalking. :rolleyes:

GRAYFEATHER
30th January 2005, 13:53
Sorry you had a drop nice to hear all are well.

Regards Grayfeather.

thunderpaw
30th January 2005, 16:39
nc5p-very glad to hear you and your wife are okay.

turn signals are rarely used and even then often are used only at the exact moment of the turn.

Exactly what brought me down on September 21, 1989. Naively, I like to think that by maintaining my vigil and distance, accidents can be avoided. Minimized yes, totally avoided, no. As long as I ride, I accept that I will be somewhat at risk from the actions of others. I choose to accept that risk. I see leathers on the horizon at some point, too. Your testimony (and others) bring that home.

Good luck with the insurance company.

Kim

nc5p
30th January 2005, 16:44
To answer some questions: No, he didn't signal at all. He was completely in the opposite traffic lane (wrong side of road) for several hundred feet. I did think he was going to make a left turn into Bobby Unser Jr's driveway (yes, son of famous indy driver). It is another (illegal yes) New Mexico driving habit to pull into the oncoming lane to make a left turn. Instead he quickly turns right. Yes, I am well aware of people pulling out some to make a right (or left) turn, but this was totally rediculous. He was in a plain Chevy Pickup, not a tandem semi.

Doug

xllent01
30th January 2005, 17:02
To answer some questions: No, he didn't signal at all. He was completely in the opposite traffic lane (wrong side of road) for several hundred feet. I did think he was going to make a left turn into Bobby Unser Jr's driveway (yes, son of famous indy driver). It is another (illegal yes) New Mexico driving habit to pull into the oncoming lane to make a left turn. Instead he quickly turns right. Yes, I am well aware of people pulling out some to make a right (or left) turn, but this was totally rediculous. He was in a plain Chevy Pickup, not a tandem semi.

Doug
Always look down the road further than you need too. You can almost
predict what people are going to do before you get yourself into a unwanted
situation. If you look 2-5 cars ahead while driving in traffic you will certainly
avoid most situations. Always be aware of your surroundings, and constantly
scan your area of unwanted trouable from unwery cage drivers that drop
there stupid f$%king cell phones and drive on the wrong side of the road and
decide at the last second to turn in front of you.

Glad you are ok, wounds will heal but pride is forever :yikes

Mountainrun
30th January 2005, 17:37

Doug Even though I gripe a lot about drivers around here, most do fairly well. The bad ones do their best(or worst) to make up for it. A lot of folks don't bother paying attention to traffic behind them. I'd bet the guy didn't even check his rear view mirrors or look behind him at all. I won't even ride on Paseo del Norte during rush hour. I've seen more insane driving there, than anywhere else in the city :yikes . Well I hope you two are in the wind again soon. I'll treat you to a hotdog and coke at Chicks some saturday. :D

rider1951
30th January 2005, 18:34

Doug

Doug glad to hear both of you are okay. Also glad to hear you were wearing protective gear. Sometimes accidents just happen and there is not much you can do about them. Sounds like that is what happened and go to show you never know when it will happen so wear the protective gear. They and the bike can be replace but lives can not. The insurance should pay for everything good luck.

Chuck
31st January 2005, 23:52
Glad it wasn't worse. Hope things get back together for ya soon.

jeebus
1st February 2005, 22:41
glad you 2 are ok. good luck with the ins. co.

dabronco
1st February 2005, 22:55
Glad to know you're OK! Brings some very scary memories to mind however!