PDA

View Full Version : New top end going on my 79 Ironhead...

Pay Toilet
30th January 2005, 13:24
well....after doing a leakdown check on my motor, it became painfully apparent that despite all my efforts to address the oil burning rear cylinder, something had taken big shit....

This is an original two owner 79 Sporty with just 8k on the clock...I think the last owner truly F'd this bike up trying to get an ancient Lectron carb to work on it. So anyway, I went to the liqour store to get started on the rebuild...

Heres a few quick pics of the tear-down....

Pay Toilet
30th January 2005, 13:24
here is a pick of the suspect piston....looks like a limp dick....the rings looked almost "polished"...they were pretty worn...and the piston had a little more than the usual scuffing...time to start a new life as an ashtray....

Pay Toilet
30th January 2005, 13:26
heres the rear jug....stock bore..not bad shape, but has a decent taper to it....it will get a visit from mister boring bar....

Pay Toilet
30th January 2005, 13:28
heres a shot of the rear head...not bad, but its hard to tell by the pic, but there is a ton of carbon on there....musthave been glowing quite niceley when hot....a valvejob and new springs will give it a fresh start in life...

Pay Toilet
30th January 2005, 13:30
I think at sometime, all sportys top end's get to hangout on a workbench and watch us run around trying to find shit we lost or misplaced! :)

Pay Toilet
30th January 2005, 13:32
we will be getting the cylinders cleaned and maybe powdercoated black and get the rocker boxes redone and polished...should be a nice top end when its done..i'll keep a few pics going as I progress....Cheers :tour

IronMick
31st January 2005, 02:14
Compare with the pics in message #8 of "First Time Cylinders Out" in this IronHead section.