PDA

View Full Version : Running Lean/Pipes blueing

mvhgraphics
20th May 2008, 14:39
I've just picked up a 07 Nightster with 800 miles on her. and I've noticed the exhaust header is blueing under the heat shields (not bad but around the cylinder heads)

1. Will i be doing any damage to engine till I make my first service?
2. Is this because the previous owner had Screaming Eagle slip-ons installed?
3. Will this be adjusted and corrected when I take her in for Service?

All help and Info appreciated.

MVH

blakjak
20th May 2008, 14:54
They'll adjust it if it needs it but some blue on the pipes around the exhaust port is normal. It's just because it gets so hot and the factory sets them lean to begin with. I wouldn't worry about it.

shotgun46
20th May 2008, 14:56
They'll adjust it if it needs it but some blue on the pipes around the exhaust port is normal. It's just because it gets so hot and the factory sets them lean to begin with. I wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed ! Its about how it runs and did you check your plugs !

jrossty
20th May 2008, 15:05
Most all pipes are going to blue with some mileage... especially if the bikes a bit on the lean order... My old drags were somewhat blue & its ran great since I got it.

Shu
20th May 2008, 15:26
All chrome pipes will blue or golden. Nothing to worry about based solely on the pipes. You can do slipons on the EFI bikes without changing the EFI provided you leave the A/C enclosed. If you do open the A/C then chances are good you will need to get the EFI reprogrammed or buy an aftermarket fuel program.

mvhgraphics
20th May 2008, 15:29
Thanks!

This is my first Harley, I had an 86 Virago 1100 and had to have the nightster as soon as I saw one. The ride and power is a totally different experience here and I love it. I love the the sound and feeling of those 1200cc's rumbling.

I'm hoping the SE slip-ons won't effect my warranty, being that I'm bringing in a pre-owned HD for first service.

Any thoughts?

MVH

Moved On / My Own Choice
20th May 2008, 15:51
All chrome pipes will blue or golden. Nothing to worry about based solely on the pipes.

BINGO that's one of the reasons those CHROMED heat shields are there in the first place.

here's the first day I rode my new Breva, maybe there were 100 or 200 miles on by the time I took this pic - if you look closely you can already see the pipe turning colors just in front of the cylinder head.

http://www.gigabikes.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10081/IMG_7995smll.jpg

I'm hoping the SE slip-ons won't effect my warranty, being that I'm bringing in a pre-owned HD for first service.

Any thoughts?

Not in the slightest

1. Google "Magnusun-Moss Warranty Act"

and

2. Harley sells the SE slip-ons for these models and SAYS they don't require any recalibration of the ECM when used alone (i.e. without a low restriction air cleaner).

blakjak
20th May 2008, 17:17
OMG - Kev, get that hideous thing outta here!!! :laugh

mvhgraphics
20th May 2008, 17:38
Why do they tune them lean? That means it's running hot right? and the bike is air cooled... This doesn't make sense to me. I had these issues with my Virago, I didn't expect to have this issue with EFI. I just don't want to do any damage.

Thanks!

MVH

jharback
20th May 2008, 17:51
Why do they tune them lean? That means it's running hot right? and the bike is air cooled... This doesn't make sense to me. I had these issues with my Virago, I didn't expect to have this issue with EFI. I just don't want to do any damage.

Thanks!

MVH

I think it's probably to help them meet EPA Emission standards.

Moved On / My Own Choice
20th May 2008, 18:19
OMG - Kev, get that hideous thing outta here!!! :laugh

Hata :p

Why do they tune them lean? That means it's running hot right? and the bike is air cooled...

EPA and EU emission standards... the EPA starting getting stricter on motorcycles a few years ago with the first new standards in something like 20 years. The Eurpean Union has also been phasing in new standards in tiers, I think they're up to Tier III now if I remember correctly.

Shu
20th May 2008, 18:20
They are not tuned too lean from the factory. They are tuned ideally to meet EPA regulations just like any gasoline burning mass produced vehicle in the US. When you open up the exhaust you do lean it out a bit more, but not enough that the EFI can not compensate for the increased flow. You are not going to do any damage. If you want more power, then open up the air cleaner and add a fuel programmer/EFI manager, etc.

Moved On / My Own Choice
20th May 2008, 18:21
They are not tuned too lean from the factory. They are tuned ideally to meet EPA regulations just like any gasoline burning mass produced vehicle in the US. When you open up the exhaust you do lean it out a bit more, but not enough that the EFI can not compensate for the increased flow. You are not going to do any damage. If you want more power, then open up the air cleaner and add a fuel programmer/EFI manager, etc.

No, I think they are tuned too lean from the factory finally.

They are certainly much leaner than they were a few short years ago - just see some bone stock operating temperatures...

Shu
20th May 2008, 18:27

They are certainly much leaner than they were a few short years ago - just see some bone stock operating temperatures...

Leaner yes, but too lean would mean it would cause internal engine damage and that is not happening as a result of the AFR. Yes the oil temps have increased, however again not to the point of causing damage....at least not that I have read any reports of damages being linked back to lean conditions or high oil temps. They by no stretched are tuned for best performance though.

Not to hijack the thread, but is anyone with EFI getting the intake belch?

honkytnkmn
20th May 2008, 18:29

they are tuned too lean from the factory, its a narrow band O2 range and is pushed lean to meet Cali standards.

Shu
20th May 2008, 18:36
they are tuned too lean from the factory, its a narrow band O2 range and is pushed lean to meet Cali standards.
Is HD now building all bikes to meet California Standards? Or just the ones shipped to California as they had in the past?

Moved On / My Own Choice
20th May 2008, 18:55
Well, we're not getting the intake belch, but that doesn't really surprise me as the better fuel delivery of the downstream injectors goes a long way to preventing that.

And we can agree to disagree about the definition of "too lean" all day, but I'll say that some temperatures we're measuring seem frighteningly lean. 350F cylinder head temps and what not.

As for standards, I don't know that California has a different tailpipe emission's standard, I THINK a Cali-spec bike differs in the use of an EVAP canister system.

But only the people inside Harley know what standards they are meeting.

Keep in mind that the new EPA rules allow some sort of corporate averaging of products.

For every cleaner than a set limit bike they sell, they can sell a dirtier one.

Every Vrod sale for instance helps a Sporty or TC that doesn't meet the standards.

IF the Sportys are all cleaner than the standards, that would allow say the TCBs to be dirtier possibly or vice versa.

They can also apply credits from previous years if they met the standards earlier to future bikes.

The marine industry is doing the same thing, that's how some manufacturers are still selling some 2-stroke motors that don't meet newer standards.

So who knows truly where our Sportys fall in the scheme of things.

I do know that some are running hot enough to catch my attention.

Kev