PDA

View Full Version : HD SuperPremium Oil Filter

StrokeII
19th February 2006, 23:19
Hi,
New to the forum. I did a quick check and didn't see my question asked at all. I was getting ready to change my oil and went to the dealer to get a filter. The parts guy said they have a new superpremium filter (filters better than the original). It was a buck more than the regular filter, so I got it.

I have heard you should not use the TC88 filters (which also filters better) because the filter will not pass oil fast enough on the EVO engine and could cause the engine to starve for oil. The new one states it has an integral pressure relief. I would assume this means at idle and low rpms enough oil passes to be fine. At higher rpms, the IPR lets oil bypass the filter to keep the oil flow going.

Any thoughts on these newer filters? Thanks for any advice.

Paulie420
20th February 2006, 00:28
.bump.bump.

olderthandirt
20th February 2006, 00:51
Who makes the filters for HD? The only filters I've used are amsoil filters and been using them on evo and TC88 since the 80s

Bow6
20th February 2006, 01:07
Sounds like a couple of more folds in the filter medium and diff part number for a buck... Any way you cut it they are making money...

Shu
20th February 2006, 01:26
The super premium filter is a 10 micron filter. It is fine for your Sportster.

MRK585
20th February 2006, 01:30
I worked for a stealer for a while I have head of the engine starving for oil b/c of the "better filters" I use a extra long one on my sporty it holds more oil less pressuer to be backed up so a better job of filtering

tumshie
20th February 2006, 01:35
"The new one states it has an integral pressure relief. I would assume this means at idle and low rpms enough oil passes to be fine. At higher rpms, the IPR lets oil bypass the filter to keep the oil flow going."

A bypass valve is only for when the filter gets plugged. Instead of cooking your engine it allows oil to pass through, unfiltered of course.

skratch
20th February 2006, 08:12
The super premium filter is a 10 micron filter. It is fine for your Sportster.

you sure about that? cant remember the guys name, but he has a shop in canada, and writes for hot bike... did a test where he cut open the 10 micron filter and the element was dry.. didn't allow oil to pass through at all.

oh yeah, guys name is donny. he strongly urged sporty owners NOT to use that filter.

gronk62
20th February 2006, 08:27
you sure about that? cant remember the guys name, but he has a shop in canada, and writes for hot bike... did a test where he cut open the 10 micron filter and the element was dry.. didn't allow oil to pass through at all.

oh yeah, guys name is donny. he strongly urged sporty owners NOT to use that filter.
I think I've read about this issue a cuppla times but I can't remember where. Maybe it was the same article.

I just stick with the standard filters.
They work and I know they are the right part for the job.

Shu
20th February 2006, 18:39

This might be correct. On the HD site, it claims the filter can ne used as an upgrade to the three Sportster Filters, 63796-77A (long chrome), 63805-80A (long black) and 63810-80A (short black). But if someone tested this filter on a Sportster and found it to not work, please post that link. I will then post a WARNING in the oil section to help make sure we aren't using this filter.

Shu
20th February 2006, 18:43
Interesting...from the HD website:
63798-99A

SuperPremium5™ Oil Filter

Fits all '99-later Twin Cam and Evolution® 1340-equipped models and available as an upgrade for any motorcycle that requires Oil Filter P/N 63796-77A, 63805-80A, 63812-90 or 63813-90.

Chrome

But when you follow the links to Sportster Maintenance parts, this super premium filter is not a listed choice. Even though they claim it can be substituted in their quote above, they do not list it specifically for a Sportster.....I'd stay clear of it.

883 custom
20th February 2006, 22:50
I've heard the same, not to use the 10 micron filter.

skratch
22nd February 2006, 15:01
i have sent off an email to donny petersen of heavy duty cycles asking where i can find this information (if it is even correct). i'll post what/if he replies.