PDA

View Full Version : HD parts in UK

FoxsterUK
26th May 2008, 12:58
Where do people get their HD parts from in the UK?

The local stealer (Black Bear, Newmarket) takes about a week to 10 days to get bits in, Jersey and Guernsey HD takes a couple of weeks. Is there anyone delivers parts over-night?

Bob F
26th May 2008, 13:11
It takes me at least a week to get HD parts and I live in Pennsylvania.

Folkie
26th May 2008, 13:25
I use Guernsey H-D sometimes, but most of my stuff I get from Zanotti (http://www.zanottimotor.com). Shipping by USPS is cheap, but takes a week or so then there's a further delay getting through Customs. If you're prepared to pay for it, shipping by UPS will have it at your door in a couple of days.

UKXL
26th May 2008, 14:31
Mate, I have a bike business in the midlands (UK) and have given up on HD UK stealerships! they are useless - get all my bits from the states, theyre cheaper, know what theyre selling and in all my experiences so far are much nicer folks to deal with! and of course the exchange rate is great at the moment!
Paul

FoxsterUK
28th May 2008, 10:15
I use Guernsey H-D sometimes...I used them a few times but I have been charged the VAT and an 8 handling fee everytime by the Post Office. I have tried to get this refunded by them as per their policy but they never do it.

The local stealer can get bits cheaper and quicker.

Folkie
28th May 2008, 10:56
I used them a few times but I have been charged the VAT and an 8 handling fee everytime by the Post Office. I have tried to get this refunded by them as per their policy but they never do it.

The local stealer can get bits cheaper and quicker.I've bought 100s of s worth of stuff there, dozens of orders, and never been charged VAT or a handling fee. This is going back over the last 4 years.

If you've got a local $tealer you're very lucky. Mine went to the wall because they were absolute cr@p! They'd take months to get anything in.

FoxsterUK
28th May 2008, 11:00
I've bought 100s of s worth of stuff there, dozens of orders, and never been charged VAT or a handling fee. This is going back over the last 4 years.Maybe its my local PO or policy has changed recently but my last three orders have all been charged VAT plus an 8 handling fee. Which wouldn't be the end of the world if they would honor their policy of refunding this - but they don't.

hobbituk
28th May 2008, 11:06
should not be charged as they are EU more to the point UK company so no vat charges or handling never heard of that happening is that guernsey or Jersey were you ordered as i have never had issue with guernsey including a 600 order

hobbituk
28th May 2008, 11:07
Mate, I have a bike business in the midlands (UK) and have given up on HD UK stealerships! they are useless - get all my bits from the states, theyre cheaper, know what theyre selling and in all my experiences so far are much nicer folks to deal with! and of course the exchange rate is great at the moment!
Paul

were in the midlands?

Folkie
28th May 2008, 11:31
Maybe its my local PO or policy has changed recently but my last three orders have all been charged VAT plus an 8 handling fee. Which wouldn't be the end of the world if they would honor their policy of refunding this - but they don't.I had an order from them that arrived at the end of last week: no shipping, no VAT, no contribution to the Parcelforce coffee and doughnut fund (sorry; I mean: handling fee).

This is Guernsey H-D you're talking about? Not those Johnny come lately shysters in Jersey? Loads of people in the HDRCGB use Guernsey, never heard of anyone havng a problem before.

FoxsterUK
28th May 2008, 12:05
http://uk.geocities.com/rmoulding@btinternet.com/package2.jpg

Urrell
28th May 2008, 12:11
I've bought 100s of s worth of stuff there, dozens of orders, and never been charged VAT or a handling fee. This is going back over the last 4 years.

Same for me with Guernsey HD and OMP. Parcel and letter post and have never been charged any extra.

Is there a way the duty on parts from the USA can be paid with the order to save the release fee being paid and the delay this causes?

FoxsterUK
28th May 2008, 12:28
Same for me with Guernsey HD and OMP. Parcel and letter post and have never been charged any extra.

Is there a way the duty on parts from the USA can be paid with the order to save the release fee being paid and the delay this causes?One of the postal options offered by ridegear.com is: "USPS Global Express Guaranteed; 1-3 business days, date certain, door to door with no additional duties or taxes owed. Your cost in checkout is your true delivered cost." Its pretty expensive though.

Folkie
28th May 2008, 12:34

Is there a way the duty on parts from the USA can be paid with the order to save the release fee being paid and the delay this causes?Get stuff shipped UPS and you can pay the guy when he comes to the door (cheque preferred), or if you're out you can ring up and pay by credit card over the phone. You don't get the delays in Customs and at Parcelforce. It's often as little as a couple of days door to door. It costs a lot though.

hobbituk
28th May 2008, 12:43
i have noticed the shipping from the US has more than doubled recently a set of Pipes from Bub shipped with taxes and customs was going to cost more than buying them from Battastinis the shipping was almost $300 and this was USPS not those robbers UPS

Folkie
28th May 2008, 12:59
It depends entirely on what class of USPS shipping the vendor uses. Global Priority (or whatever they call it) is going to cost a lot more than ordinary Air Parcel Post.

hobbituk
28th May 2008, 13:06
was ordinary snail mail :frownone priority was $200 more

Folkie
28th May 2008, 13:11
Pipes are goping to cost a lot to ship. I had a set of Double Barrels shipped from J&P using UPS Saver; shipping was about $200.

hobbituk
28th May 2008, 13:22
now $200 i could live with as thats only $50 more than i previously paid for shipping pipes but $300/$500 is steep

Johnny the fox
29th May 2008, 00:38
I've used Guernsey in the past & had no probs as have a fair few friends. One of them just used Jersey & got hit wth all the charges that you're not supposed to get hit with.

I recently used Zanottis and managed to escape having to pay loads of money. Was expecting the nice Parcelforce man to ask me for money instead he just delivered it to my neighbour - weird. I have heard though that Zanotti's are no longer shipping outwith the USA as they're too busy & have stopped until they decide whether to take on more staff.

Frankly the two Scottish Dealers are less than brilliant. Most useful one's in the UK mainland that my friends have found have been Warr's or Manchester. Manchester especially were very helpful & quick delivering parts to my mate.

Good luck

Johnny the fox
29th May 2008, 00:46
If you can get stuff delivered to an address in the USA apparently you can miss out on paying some of the US tax element. There are compay's in the states that will set you up with an address just for that purpose.

Another option badger friends/relatives/people at work etc to by the parts i the US, stick them in their luggage & hope they don't look too guilty when they walk through the green channel in customs. I have a friend who has gone as far as to pack a set of pipes in his Ski bag.

OOps hope no customs officers are reading this

Folkie
29th May 2008, 00:58
I recently used Zanottis and managed to escape having to pay loads of money. Was expecting the nice Parcelforce man to ask me for money instead he just delivered it to my neighbour - weird.How big an order was it? I've found that for orders under about 100 value they don't usually bother with collecting the VAT.

I have heard though that Zanotti's are no longer shipping outwith the USA as they're too busy & have stopped until they decide whether to take on more staff.That's a shame. I've bought loads of stuff from Zanotti, and always had good service.

FoxsterUK
29th May 2008, 10:27
Just got a reply from Guernsey and they have agreed to refund the VAT and PO charge for my most recent order. Here is their reply...

Up until last week we have only had 2 incidents of VAT being paid over the last 4 years. Royal Mail seem to be having a purge on both Guernsey and Jersey at the moment. We are hoping its only a phase and would like to resume normal service sooner rather than later. We do stand by our VAT free offer so have reimbursed you for the 14.30 you have paid.

Kind regards

Roger

So you may expect a delay at customs, have to collect the parcel from the PO, pay the charges and claim a refund when dealing with Guernsey and Jersey in at least the short term.

williamv1203
29th May 2008, 11:51
Vtwin-Mania in Edinburgh is a great place to get the aftermarket parts from. They deal with all the top manufacturers. Custom Chrome, Zodiac etc...
Also can get Genuine H-D parts if needed... :wonderlan

Folkie
29th May 2008, 11:58
What are their prices like?

DEEP DIVER
19th June 2008, 23:10
Hi there FoxsterUK I get most of bits from Krazy Horse at Bury St Edmunds.
They do Zodiac, Custom Chrome, Motor Cycle Storehouse etc.
Also AngloAmarican at Woolpit.
Pm me for his number he is V-twin agent.

Roadhawg
29th July 2008, 20:09
The VAT man seems to be getting more greedy ...used to get away with murder bringing parts in from the states and no charges:banana
The way of getting off with parcelfarce charges seems to be sweet talking seller into marking down shipping as used parts or industrial samples:banadanc
Worth a try...some do some dont

williamv1203
31st July 2008, 10:57
What are their prices like?

So sorry I didn't reply sooner. :frownthre Had been really busy organising a charity event that happened July 26 in town where I live. Got to meet Roadhawg. (Hi Davie) As he showed up there for it and even got his sickle in the bike show! Didn't win, but came a close runner up in the custom class. Guess the voters didn't appreciate springer Sporties! :frownthre

Back to the subject;
Their prices are fair. I get most of my parts from him. Alastair Robertson used to run West Coast H-D in Glasgow and was 1/2 of the partnership of Alvin's H-D in Edinburgh way back when, so he knows his business...

FoxsterUK
31st July 2008, 11:11
Their prices are fair.Depends what you call fair. I have yet to find anyone in the UK selling HD parts for a fair price. Most simply sell at /$ i.e. whatever the price is in the US they sell for the same number in pounds in the UK.

This is a doubling in price. Not forgetting that that they are also buying cheaper from wholesalers. Even allowing for shipping, which is reduced by doing just one bulk order a week, and VAT this is a huge rip-off.

Very few sellers, such as Guensey HD, hold much stock so you have to wait a week for them to import the items then another week for delivery to you. So I see little advantage in buying from UK shops. Its cheaper and no slower to buy direct from the US.

Folkie
31st July 2008, 13:05
It's often been suggested on the HDRCGB forum (by guys who run parts businesses, LOL), that you should buy your parts from a local, or at least UK, parts shop. This on the basis that when you need someone to go the extra mile to source an obscure part, or for sorting out problems in fitment, or returns to the manufacturer, the guy who you've done business with, and built up a relationship with, will be there for you.

This sounds good in theory, but very often in practice the guy won't answer emails, when you ring up you just get an answerphone and he never rings back, and if you ever do get to place an order it can take weeks, or even months sometimes, to get the stuff you're after. Not true of all, I know, but it is true of too many. By contrast the standard of service in the States is far, far, better (with a few notable exceptions).

FrankBlack
31st July 2008, 14:04
i have noticed the shipping from the US has more than doubled recently a set of Pipes from Bub shipped with taxes and customs was going to cost more than buying them from Battastinis the shipping was almost $300 and this was USPS not those robbers UPS

I agree. Shipping does seem to have gone up, or at least US businesses appear not to be offering low-rate shipping options any more. Several years ago I used to order a lot from the US, and sellers would ship at very low cost if you didn't mind the wait. Now there isn't an option.

Frankly the two Scottish Dealers are less than brilliant.

I got that impression too. Not to mention much of their stock appears to be 150% more than what you'd pay in the US.

Vtwin-Mania in Edinburgh is a great place to get the aftermarket parts from. They deal with all the top manufacturers. Custom Chrome, Zodiac etc...
Also can get Genuine H-D parts if needed... :wonderlan

I've used them too. i think their prices aren't too bad.

The way of getting off with parcelfarce charges seems to be sweet talking seller into marking down shipping as used parts or industrial samples:banadanc
Worth a try...some do some dont

Some sellers don't mind marking low values on customs forms others get offended if you ask. I recently had a parcel sent and the seller marked the value on wholesale prices rather than retail. It helped. Even if customs duty is low the Royal Mail still adds its rather scandalous "handling fee" though.

It's often been suggested on the HDRCGB forum (by guys who run parts businesses, LOL), that you should buy your parts from a local, or at least UK, parts shop. This on the basis that when you need someone to go the extra mile to source an obscure part, or for sorting out problems in fitment, or returns to the manufacturer, the guy who you've done business with and built up a relationship with will be there for you.

This sounds good in theory, but very often in practice the guy won't answer emails, when you ring up you just get an answerphone and he never rings back, and if you ever do get to place an order it can take weeks, or even months sometimes, to get the stuff you're after. Not true of all, I know, but it is true of too many. By contrast the standard of service in the States is far, far, better (with a few notable exceptions).

I just refuse to order from UK dealers now. Occasionally I'll order from UK aftermarket parts sellers but only if I'm stuck. The PCIII in the UK, for example, costs $560/ 279 pounds. In the US you can get it for $260/ 130 pounds. UK sellers tend to be prohibitively expensive and inefficient, and I speak from experience of both Triumph and HD sellers. But in fairness, apart from obvious greed, I think UK businesses can also be under the thumb of the UK government's economists just as we all are. The whole country is over-priced as a result, except if you want to buy a Chinese microwave or a Big Mac.

In the end, my best solution has been to ask US friends to forward items to me and mark the value low and as a 'GIFT' on the form. I dislike being dishonest or having to wait a few weeks, but I dislike being endlessly ripped off by those who are remorselessly running the show over here.

gomorley
31st July 2008, 14:23
In the end, my best solution has been to ask US friends to forward items to me and mark the value low and as a 'GIFT' on the form. I dislike being dishonest or having to wait a few weeks, but I dislike being endlessly ripped off by those who are remorselessly running the show over here.

That sounds like good advice, I've also heard of parts from dealers being marked as samples to get round paying the import fees

Folkie
31st July 2008, 14:37
I've never asked a supplier to mark down the value of goods, but some have done it of their own accord. :)

FrankBlack
31st July 2008, 19:33
That sounds like good advice, I've also heard of parts from dealers being marked as samples to get round paying the import fees

I've never asked a supplier to mark down the value of goods, but some have done it of their own accord. :)

It might be useful for any forum members who are also US sellers to take a note of this thread. It's a simple thing. The US economy needs to pick up [sell more] and the UK economy penalises the public with jacked up prices. The common need for the working man: US sellers sell more at decent prices and UK buyers buy from them, unhindered by greedy governments.

My own sentiment is that - as a UK customer - I'd be much more inclined to buy more products if 1. lower cost shipping was an option; 2. some sympathy was given when it comes to filling out the customs forms; 3. some combination of low shipping and despatching bigger orders split into low-cost packages that fall within customs allowances [which I think are a mere 18/ $36 at the moment before you then start to pay VAT, duty and the dreaded Royal Mail handling fee].

Folkie
31st July 2008, 19:52
customs allowances [which I think are a mere 18/ $36 at the moment before you then start to pay VAT, duty and the dreaded Royal Mail handling fee].That may be the theoretical allowance, but I've found that I often don't pay any duty on shipments up to 100 value.

FrankBlack
1st August 2008, 00:09
That may be the theoretical allowance, but I've found that I often don't pay any duty on shipments up to 100 value.

Yeah, me too. I think it's a bit of a lottery Folkie. There must be a huge volume of parcels coming into the country every day and it's just your luck if yours gets through the leaching machine intact!

Folkie
1st August 2008, 00:21
There are two things that I particularly begrudge paying. One is the VAT that you have to pay on the shipping from the States to the UK. WTF is that about?

The other is the enforced contribution to the Parcelforce coffee and doughnut fund, er, sorry, I mean the handling fee.

FrankBlack
2nd August 2008, 01:50
I agree. I noticed that they charge VAT on postage as a matter of routine in the UK. Look at your next invoice, the sneaky f'kers. As for the handling fee, I've often meant to phone that number on the dreaded sticker that lists all the charges, to tell them what a rip-off it is and generally 'vent' my weary feelings, under the Edmund Burke principle of "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". The Royal Mail is, after all, quite unashamedly evil. SAY :not to the Royal Mail!

By the way, if you want to send anything cheaply try these guys http://www.payperparcel.co.uk/. Excellent, cheap service for bigger items.

Johnny the fox
14th August 2008, 01:37
How big an order was it? I've found that for orders under about 100 value they don't usually bother with collecting the VAT.

That's a shame. I've bought loads of stuff from Zanotti, and always had good service.

Hi Folkie sorry for the delay in replying - laptop wet down big style.
Order for various bits & pieces including seat etc would have cost over 700 quid in the UK. Shipping from Zanottis saved serious amounts of cash. I'm talking hundreds of quid.

The good news is that I understand with a far bigger penchant for chrome (and more money than me) that they are back in the business of exporting to us poor saps in the over priced UK!!:banana:banadanc:banana:banana:banadanc

Folkie
14th August 2008, 02:04
Good news Johnny! Mind you, if it wasn't for you posting about it on here, I wouldn't have known about them stopping anyway, as it's a while since I ordered anything from them.

Talking of high tax charges, how about this: I've ordered some parts from the States; the total value (including shipping, which was quite a lot, proportionately) is about 45. I'm being charged over 80 VAT and import duty! :yikes.

Obviously something's gone wrong: they've misread the value on the Customs Declaration. or something. But you have to pay whatever they (Parcelforce) say, then argue with HMRC about it afterwards. :frownthre

FrankBlack
2nd September 2008, 18:12
:clap Just wanted to give a friendly plug to www.V-twinmania.co.uk based in Edinburgh. I ordered a brake hose that took them a week to order from Goodridge and deliver to me at a decent price. Complete with personalised emails and follow up letter.

I ordered the same brake line from http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/ (allegedly a Goodridge retailer) and six weeks later they still hadn't delivered. I cancelled the order, then two days later they delivered an incomplete brake hose that was nothing like what I'd ordered. I then spent 20 minutes on the phone to them, had to write a covering letter, go to the post office to return the thing (because they refused to collect it) and I'm still waiting on a refund!:headbang

Folkie
2nd September 2008, 18:26
I've ordered stuff through Pro Street Cycles (http://www.pro-streetcycles.com/) with no complaints. I've got something on order with them at the moment which is on 6 - 8 weeks back order, but this is due to the supplier in Italy (Alessandro Pacelli).

Got an order in with Grizzly's (http://www.grizzlyscustombikes.co.uk/), so I'll see how they do.

Folkie
6th September 2008, 00:15
Got an order in with Grizzly's (http://www.grizzlyscustombikes.co.uk/), so I'll see how they do.Order arrived today, which was pretty quick (order placed last Friday).

Their prices seem pretty good too. If you look something up in the Motorcycle Storehouse or Custom Chrome Europe catalogues, and convert the € price there to s, then look the same part up on Grizzly's site (ordering through the same catalogues), his prices are quite a bit less.

casting dice
6th September 2008, 00:25
im in ireland at the mo but sometimes use harley dealer in newcastle upon tyne north east england there pretty quick to order and deliver but at the usual stealer prices.
cant remember the address but the number is (0191)2327174.

FrankBlack
6th September 2008, 01:01
Order arrived today, which was pretty quick (order placed last Friday).

Their prices seem pretty good too. If you look something up in the Motorcycle Storehouse or Custom Chrome Europe catalogues, and convert the price there to s, then look the same part up on Grizzly's site (ordering through the same catalogues), his prices are quite a bit less.

Good to know Folkie. I'll check them out.

waiteitei
6th September 2008, 08:46
possibly the best mail order place in the UK is THS in castleford

they actually have parts in stock unlike the harley dealers

Heidi knows bikes inside out and is a wealth of information

USAtwins.com is great for mail order form the states best prices I have found to date and about 2 week delivery on average

re vAT and duty, there is a limit below which items escape vat and duty, above that you get hammered

to answer folkies question on paying vat on freight - that is correct vat is applied to the cost of the goods landed in this country

best answer is to find a friendly shipper who puts a more realistic valuation (false) on the customs declaration or will ship the parts marked as birthday present christmas present or the like

Folkie
6th September 2008, 19:03
re vAT and duty, there is a limit below which items escape vat and duty, above that you get hammeredNot always. I've just got a new Le Pera seat, about $500 worth, including shipping from California. Didn't pay a penny of import duty, VAT, or anything! :shhhh

FoxsterUK
6th September 2008, 22:04
I seem to have settled with ordering just about always from Licks these days. They have a huge range, its in stock, its reasonably priced and you get a good range of shipping price/speeds to choose from.

I've given up on all UK & just-offshore companies cos they are at least 50% more expensive even including P&P. They carry practically no stock meaning you wait while they get it from the states, wait while they check it and wait again while they deliver it. Its quicker and cheaper to just order it direct yourself.

Fox

BigMark
6th September 2008, 22:09
Learning this the hard way, waiting 10 days now for a bloody screw from HD Jersey
USA direct supply only from now on (need to get some slip ons soon so time to shop about)

FoxsterUK
6th September 2008, 22:14
Learning this the hard way, waiting 10 days now for a bloody screw from HD Jersey
USA direct supply only from now on (need to get some slip ons soon so time to shop about)What screw you need, mate? I got boxes and boxes of them - I NEVER throw anything for bikes away :tour

Fox

BigMark
6th September 2008, 22:16
What screw you need, mate? I got boxes and boxes of them - I NEVER throw anything for bikes away :tour

Fox

got a fancy HD ebossed bolt to fill the gep when I switch to a solo seat (when it arrives from LePera!)
May plunder your stocks if it does not arrive before the seat :smoke

FoxsterUK
6th September 2008, 22:21
got a fancy HD ebossed bolt to fill the gep when I switch to a solo seat (when it arrives from LePera!)
May plunder your stocks if it does not arrive before the seat :smokeOh, I put a small stainless rack in to cover that gap and it came with some OK stainless screws. If you mean you are getting the HD thumb-screw thingy then I thought of using them but it seemed just a little too easy for light-fingered buggers to mess with.
Fox

BigMark
6th September 2008, 22:23
Yeah, its the thumb screw thing but fingers crossed no one will half inch it. Anyone touches my bike they have issues!!

Folkie
6th September 2008, 23:04
I seem to have settled with ordering just about always from Licks these days. They have a huge range, its in stock, its reasonably priced and you get a good range of shipping price/speeds to choose from.Have you sseen the J&P Cycles (http://www.jpcycles.com/) website and catalogue?

FoxsterUK
6th September 2008, 23:13
Have you sseen the J&P Cycles (http://www.jpcycles.com/) website and catalogue?Yup, I've had stuff from them. I got some of their front indicator relocators recently.

I got put off them a bit though because recently they started to be funny about international credit card orders where you had to fax them a copy of your lastest credit card bill or somesuch.

Fox

Folkie
6th September 2008, 23:20
They do that the first time you order, to protect themselves against fraud. If they ask you for it a second time just refer them to the one you've already sent. I've found their customer service to be excellent.

casting dice
7th September 2008, 01:08
i had the same trouble with j&p they will not send to me as i travel around my credit card is registered in england but iv been in ireland nearly a year at this stage but with different addresses they will only send to the address on the card even after i phoned to explain.
iv been using w&w in germany recently with no problems they verified my address and phone number because of the card thing then no problem.
quick and friendly service.
some things are a bit pricey but hey they sent me a set of drags and on one the chrome blistered when it got hot.
i rang them to return them and they just said fax us a pic,and if we agree we will send you a new set.
which they did 2 new pipes arrived in ireland 24hrs after they got the pic and they just said keep the other set as spare.
i get my 45 parts from a guy called jan boon in the netherlands he stocks enough new and nos to build complete 45s.

kiltbill
7th September 2008, 02:27
Shop around,

Use ebay, use Sorgy's, use whatever it takes...!

Best buy? True duals direct from the states. Best UK price $600.00. Direct form the USA (an ebay seller with 99.9% feedback and over 10,000 items sold...) $230.000

I buy from wherever is cheapest. No matter what you are buying, you HAVE to shop around. This does depend on how desperate you are though! I have paid over the top for things I needed really quickly.

kb

FrankBlack
22nd November 2008, 13:36
Hogparts UK seems competitive. Their website is a nightmare though. I called them on the phone and spoke to Dave, who was very helpful and seemed to be aware that customers have problems with their website. They also have a price promise, so if you find anything cheaper elsewhere they'll try to beat it.

FoxsterUK
22nd November 2008, 13:52
The website aint great. What I do is use the downloadable VTMania catalogue to get the part numbers then I just use the site to look up prices.

I'm not sure about price though. They tend to do a straight $/ price swap. Its still often cheaper and as quick to buy direct from the US - Licks, etc.

Dave is a good guy, very helpful.

Fox

mrlowlight
22nd November 2008, 13:56
Does everyone else in the EU experience getting slugged import duty on any item sent from a non-EU country? I have given up getting stuff sent after I got slugged on something I sent for repair to the US, my item and nothing to pay, marked as such but still got hit for 260 euro....so I got charged for importing my own item wtf! I made enquiries and this even applies to gifts, Italian Customs :censor

Folkie
22nd November 2008, 15:05
No, I very rarely have to pay import duty. I usually have to pay VAT, except that on shipments less than about 100, I don't usually pay anything at all.

Folkie
22nd November 2008, 15:06
Its still often cheaper and as quick to buy direct from the US - Licks, etc. It used to be, but since the took a nose dive, I don't think that's true any more.

Nobby
23rd November 2008, 21:16
Do Licks ship to the UK? Im thinking of buying a couple of bits Ive seen but never used the internet to purchase from abroad before, Im a newbie at all this and have only got stuff from HD Guernsey.

Ive been told you get stung for import tax and VAT.

Is there any way of finding out what kind of charge would be involved eg a %?

I have an XL1200c sat in the dining room and Im itching to take an angle grinder and the trusty old axe at it but money could be an issue in these uncertain times.....

Cheers

Nobby:)

Folkie
23rd November 2008, 23:49
Do Licks ship to the UK? Im thinking of buying a couple of bits Ive seen but never used the internet to purchase from abroad before, Im a newbie at all this and have only got stuff from HD Guernsey.

Ive been told you get stung for import tax and VAT.

Is there any way of finding out what kind of charge would be involved eg a %?

I have an XL1200c sat in the dining room and Im itching to take an angle grinder and the trusty old axe at it but money could be an issue in these uncertain times.....

Cheers

Nobby:)You have to pay VAT, that includes on the cost of postage too. I've very rarely had to pay import duty. I don't know how they decide whether to charge import duty, but believe it has something to do with slaughtering chickens. I've usually not had to pay any tax on amounts less than about 100.

Watch how much you're being asked to pay for shipping too. Something like, say USPS ordinary air parcel post is a lot cheaper than UPS super duper whizzo global priority, or whatever they call it. That could easily cost more than whatever you're buying.

AB,Frank
24th November 2008, 00:25
What is VAT? are co-ops possible in the UK? that could be an option for buying bulk.

Folkie
24th November 2008, 01:06
What is VAT?Purchase tax.

wolfpack
24th November 2008, 15:42
best plan is to become friends with one of the thousands of u.s servicemen or u.s contractors stationed over here in the uk. they get free shipping and no tax to pay, us or uk. also the military get up to 25% discount from some of their more patriotic retailers, makes for cheap parts for us ripped off brits, as long as no one finds out

Folkie
24th November 2008, 16:09
as long as no one finds outThat's OK; only about 28,462 people just found out! :p

FrankBlack
24th November 2008, 23:48
best plan is to become friends with one of the thousands of u.s servicemen or u.s contractors stationed over here in the uk. they get free shipping and no tax to pay, us or uk. also the military get up to 25% discount from some of their more patriotic retailers, makes for cheap parts for us ripped off brits, as long as no one finds out

I'm single, decent looking, smart as a whip and in search of a good looking, intelligent, morally intact, existentially concerned but wayward and interesting female US grunt stationed in Facist Britain with child-bearing hips and load-bearing thighs and a willingness to take receipt of various VAT-free bike parts here in the UK. Once I fix my bike up you'd have to be willing to go AWOL and ride into the sunset with me. First order would be a comfy double seat and rear footpegs.