PDA

View Full Version : Neons on a Sporty ???

Pages : [1] 2

LordVngr
21st February 2006, 04:18
Soooo, anybody out there got those little neon lights on their ride.
H*ll, Even Harley sells the kits Now. Anybody out there got them and were they hard to install. What do ya think.
Cool, Not Cool, Too Tacky. Are they even Legal to use while riding the bike. Your thoughts, comments please.....

LV
1200RS phantom

lagerdrinker
21st February 2006, 04:23
H*ll, Even Harley sells the kits Now. Anybody out there got them and were they hard to install. What do ya think. Cool, Not Cool, Too Tacky. Are they even Legal to use while riding the bike. Your thoughts, comments please.....

LV
1200RS phantom

do you get a free afterburner lighted exhaust tip with purchase? looks very nice on someone elses bike:roflblack

Paulie420
21st February 2006, 04:27
My buddy has a set of blue ones on a 03 Lowrider... All over the engine - I think it looks great!

If I could get a set installed clean and bright I would definatly go for them.

I would hate it if the install looked tacky or you could really see the lights/wiring... otherwise its a GO in my book!

Shu
21st February 2006, 04:32
I'll pass. I never liked them on the import rice tuner cars, let alone a piece of American Iron.

cantolina
21st February 2006, 04:37
H*ll, Even Harley sells the kits Now. Anybody out there got them and were they hard to install. What do ya think.
Cool, Not Cool, Too Tacky. Are they even Legal to use while riding the bike. Your thoughts, comments please.....

LV
1200RS phantom

I had one on Sophie...

It was a small blue light (3" tube) positioned behind the rear cylinder...

You could only see it if you were coming at the bike from the side...

(not entirely legal, either, BTW..)

I took it off when it stopped working (I assume it was vibration)

I liked it a lot...took a buch of s:censort for it too, but since when do I give a f:censork what anyone thinks about my bike? Hell, don't listen to me, I have a chrome Walmart skull on my bitch-bar with working taillight/brakelights for eyes...:p

In hindsight, it was a phase for me....I think it can be done well, but its easy to overdo it...

While we're on the subject of lights, a reminder that if you put those stupid lights on your tire-stem, you'll break the tire stem on the first rotation of the rear wheel...:roflblack

Moved On
21st February 2006, 04:42
Ummmm

No

Besides in one village near me that I drive through all the time the cops will ticket you for any funny colored lights on your car or bike, I don't need that aggrevation.

Gazza

XLFREAK
21st February 2006, 04:47
looks very nice on someone elses bike:roflblack

That's how I feel. They look OK on other bikes, but not on the one I hafta ride every day.

Irondrake77
21st February 2006, 04:47
I've been looking at those LEd's and start thinking about them lighting up my engine...But I've been painting today so it could be the fumes

lagerdrinker
21st February 2006, 04:55
neon ignition wires anyone?
if your buiding a show bike ok, everyday street use neons look plain stupid to me. save your money for a nice paintjob or a custom made seat. just my opinion

wowee1
21st February 2006, 04:58
I think it kinda ruins the minimalist image of the Sporty...Vrod or Fatboy, maybe, but too much flash for a Sporty....

cantolina
21st February 2006, 05:01
I think its interesting that its a 50-50 split right now between "no fu:censorking way" and "I'm thinking about it", yet the most vocal are the former....

Not bagging on the vocal half, I just think its interesting....

Takingabreak
21st February 2006, 05:05
LED's yes, Neon No, the vibration will kill it in short order.

With that said, the only color you can get away with is Amber.
Red can only be displayed to the rear on a vehicle.
White can only be done from the front. (Unless your in reverse)
Blue is reserved for Law enforcement and Federal vehicles.
And green will just get you run over by a drunk.

So if you want Amber, then it's sounds like a way to go.

Bow6
21st February 2006, 05:11
Not my style...

Moved On
21st February 2006, 05:16
I think its interesting that its a 50-50 split right now between "no fu:censorking way" and "I'm thinking about it", yet the most vocal are the former....

Not bagging on the vocal half, I just think its interesting....Oh great now Chuck's starting psycho analysis... I know I've got some screws loose though :D

It is kinda interesting that no one says they have them... I wonder if everybody comes to the same conclusion after thinking about them long enough. I gotta admit the first time I saw a bike with them I thought wow that's cool... then I saw a few more bikes with them and thats when the novelty wore off real fast. The first bike I saw with them had a dimmer circuit though so they faded in and out like the bike was breathing while it was just sitting there parked on the side of the road at a block party at the high falls in Rochester.

Gazza

LordVngr
21st February 2006, 05:18
LED's yes, Neon No, the vibration will kill it in short order.

With that said, the only color you can get away with is Amber.
Red can only be displayed to the rear on a vehicle.
White can only be done from the front. (Unless your in reverse)
Blue is reserved for Law enforcement and Federal vehicles.
And green will just get you run over by a drunk.

So if you want Amber, then it's sounds like a way to go.

Well I've thought about it But wanted to get other opnions. ;)

Part of me says it might look pretty cool and the other part of me say's It's laughable and Totally Unkool. Since I run a blue bike I'd have to go with blue. I understand what you say which comes back to the question of are they legal while riding, My guess for most states probably No.

So If you can only use them while the bike is parked then you can probably use any color But for Me Personnaly it defeats the whole purpose because I dont really have situations where the bike would be parked and I'd just be hanging around it. I'm either riding or its parked in the Garage...

LV
1200RS phantom

H@mbone!
21st February 2006, 06:12
I don't know, guess if when I repaint my bike a diffrent color I might go with a few. Depends on the color I go with and if neons would contrast the color good. But if I get them and don't like them, I will take them off and probbley try to make some money back off them and re-sell them on the bay.

H@mbone!
21st February 2006, 06:12
My cars usually have all had neons on the outside and in the interior. But I guess a bike may be diffrent.

tim4hire
21st February 2006, 06:13
Ive got a set!:shhhh I just havn't installed them yet.There the kind that can do mutiple colors.was thinking they be good for makin sure peeps see me and the white ones might come in handy if I gotta do some thing to the bike at night.:tour

olderthandirt
21st February 2006, 06:16
Yep I have them on 2 bikes, My sporty and my eglide. there the Kuraykan led spider light and they both have the rehostate so they have a strobe feature or constant on. Red on the eglide and a combo of red and amber on the sporty. I have never been bothered by a cop and I would never be with out them unless forced to. I think there a great safty feature as well as looking great. In the strobe mode its hard to miss seeing the bike from the side, and I'm not into getting T-Boned by a cager.

So now you have the 1st to say they have them and love them :p

Turbota
21st February 2006, 06:34
Neons ...... NOT on your life!

Do them come with a fake gold tooth with a diamond implated in them?

http://images.picpile.com/uploads/173120061.jpg

AZFlyingDiver
21st February 2006, 06:52
remember spinners?

i think neons on anything will go the way of tacky spinnin' rims on escalades...

santansporty
21st February 2006, 07:10
Could be a lot of fun around Christmas time...

CapMorganXL
21st February 2006, 07:53
I have l.e.d.s, not neons, but I love having the lights on the bike. I went away from the usual colors though, as I have the UV purple on my Vivid Black 1200C. The combo is pretty tough looking. They are subtle, not overly bright, give off a trippy blacklight glow, and make all the chrome look like you could reach right into the engine up to your elbow. Everyone that has seen them, of all ages, seems to really like them. A friend has blue on his blue Heritage and it looks great with the blue bike. Another has amber on his metallic gold Screamin' Eagle Deuce, which is another good combo. I've seen a couple that look a little "Fast and the Furious" cheesy, but it seems to depend on what color lights, what color bike, how bright you run 'em etc. Too bright looks bad to me. One benefit besides visiblity to others on the road is when it's parked at night. It's MUCH easier to see the bike parked in a poorly lit area, hopefully helping prevent some cager from plowing into it.

Mr. Mojo Risin
21st February 2006, 07:59
don't do it.

bshadbolt
21st February 2006, 09:09
extra weight (albeit small), no additional performance - no way

pquirk
21st February 2006, 13:21
Not my cup o' Joe at all. But as is always the case with these things, it's your ride. Close your eyes and picture it, if you like what you see put the damn things on there.

(Just don't be surprised if you hear a belly laugh when you drive past my house):sofa

smoke
21st February 2006, 14:05
JMO, I think it is a fad that was started with rice running street racers. (Hondas, Mitchbitchies, etc.) I wouldn't do it to my Sporty, but that is just me. If you like them on your bike, do it to it. I have seem some bikes that they look ok on.

f77
21st February 2006, 14:14
no way brņ
the neon fits good only on the touring

imho

Casper
21st February 2006, 14:24
A friend of mine has a whackload of LED's on his VTX1800, and I've got to admit, it looks pretty sweet. However, he's also changed the fenders (larger fenders) and added his own custom-made parts, so it's far from stock anyway. Personally, since I'm moulding my ride into more of an old-school chopper (apes, raked, and ...dare I dream...springer?:D), I wouldn't put extra lights on. But it all really comes down to one thing: what puts a biga:censors grin on your face?

Edit: since I do like them, just not on all bikes, I had to vote neutral; there's no option for "I like them, but it's not the look I want for my Sporty".

lofathd
21st February 2006, 14:27
they look cool in that brokeback mountain kinda way,and 100% illegal while riding in nj

acenorm
21st February 2006, 15:01
I have LED's on mine, and I like them. Also, I have never had problems with police.

Best Regards,
Norm

raysheen
21st February 2006, 15:23
I put some purplel neon lights under the tank of my wife's bike when it was purple...since then they have come off...I'm not a fan of neon on a harley myself but I've also seen a few that I've liked so....

Randum77
21st February 2006, 15:41
Potatoe or Patatoe

My personal opinion: It's a waste of money that you could put else where. Plus it's only really nice looking on custom choppers like OCC and Martin Brothers type stuff. The only place I put LED / Neon's is in the trunk of my car w/ my stereo. They are wired into the speakers and glow w/ intensity bassed on what's playing.

In all reality, it's your decision. No where near as permanent as a tattoo. Heck, if you don't know if you'd like it, just get a small one and pop it on the bike. Give it a couple weeks of riding and see if you still do. If not, turn around, sell it for 1/2 what you payed. Live and learn. :smoke

All in all, I'd say give it a shot, what can you loose?

Sportster Girl
21st February 2006, 16:10
Not on my bike.

Nope, nada, no way.

SportsterBart
21st February 2006, 16:30
No -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!-ing way.

Bart

BWP 5p
21st February 2006, 23:28
I was going to use some 6 Volt LED's..........but I'm waiting for the 12 Volt upgrade:smoke :roflblack :smoke :roflblack :smoke

Preacher
21st February 2006, 23:54
Since you asked.....

I think they are the stupidest thing to come down the pike in a looooonnnggg time.

Leave them to the ricers and their fantasy world.

skratch
22nd February 2006, 00:26
While we're on the subject of lights, a reminder that if you put those stupid lights on your tire-stem, you'll break the tire stem on the first rotation of the rear wheel...:roflblack

sounds like you're speaking from experience, yes? :wonderlan

hobo
22nd February 2006, 02:43
Not in this life time and not in the next (hopefully not anyway...assuming there is a next)

cantolina
22nd February 2006, 03:19
sounds like you're speaking from experience, yes? :wonderlan

Hey man....s:censort happens...I have daughters.....lol

Hogwylde
22nd February 2006, 03:20
IMO, I think they are tacky looking. Might be kinda ok, if there were only a few lights and on a Goldwing - but besides that? Not me. Nope. Sorry.

cantolina
22nd February 2006, 03:58
IMO, I think they are tacky looking. Might be kinda ok, if there were only a few lights and on a Goldwing - but besides that? Not me. Nope. Sorry.

Another dichotomy....

Check the post against the sig line.... :laugh

tonyhds
22nd February 2006, 06:50
Neons No, but some blue LED's on my my vivid black, yes
But you think I'm worried about what people think.
I don't ride with the LED's on.
I ride a a Sportster
Its a 883
nuff said.

LordVngr
22nd February 2006, 17:07
Neons No, but some blue LED's on my my vivid black, yes
But you think I'm worried about what people think.
I don't ride with the LED's on.
I ride a a Sportster
Its a 883
nuff said.

Ya I actually messed up when I did the original post and poll. I ment the New led light kits they make and Not Just Noen lights. I think Most people understood where I was coming from.

H@mbone!
22nd February 2006, 17:12
Don't see why some people are makeing such a big deal on neons on Harleys. I have seen them on a few and they look great. At night depending the color you go with just makes the chrome glow like something furious. I say its your bike do what you like. I probbley am going to go with blue or red depending on the color I paint my bike.

cantolina
22nd February 2006, 17:45
Don't see why some people are makeing such a big deal on neons on Harleys. I have seen them on a few and they look great. At night depending the color you go with just makes the chrome glow like something furious. I say its your bike do what you like. I probbley am going to go with blue or red depending on the color I paint my bike.

Thanx for having the b:censorls to say this...

I have a suspicion that there are others who secretly think it can be done well, but its an unpopular opinion....

LordVngr
22nd February 2006, 20:17
Thanx for having the b:censorls to say this...

I have a suspicion that there are others who secretly think it can be done well, but its an unpopular opinion....

That's Exactly why I asked the question Because I was almost certain I was going to hear " Oh Nooooo Way am I putting those on My Bike " I'm still wondering how hard are they to hook up. The kit Harley sells is suppose to plug right into your wiring harness. Ideally I think you would want them on a switch so you could turn them on and off at will. Also some people have mentioned that they pulsate/blink which I didnt know. I'm still interested in putting them on my bike, I just would Never admit it. :shhhh

cantolina
22nd February 2006, 20:21
That's Exactly why I asked the question Because I was almost certain I was going to hear " Oh Nooooo Way am I putting those on My Bike " I'm still wondering how hard are they to hook up. The kit Harley sells is suppose to plug right into your wiring harness. Ideally I think you would want them on a switch so you could turn them on and off at will. Also some people have mentioned that they pulsate/blink which I didnt know. I'm still interested in putting them on my bike, I just would Never admit it. :shhhh

Led's can blink and such, but neon really has to be steady...

Its an easy hook-up...mine was powered by a cigarette lighter-type connection that I could plug or unplug at will...( I had a socket attached to my swing-arm)

They use so little power, that I left them on when I went somewhere....just for the WTF factor... :) Here on the forum, I took some s:censort, but in the real world...much like my skull, I got a lot of appreciative comments...

tcspannerwrench
22nd February 2006, 20:33
a little of the topic but i took a lot of sh*t for my home made flame pinstriping that i took it off now i am thinking WTF i liked it and thats all that matters, so i would say try it if you dont like it take it off if you do then great :)

LordVngr
22nd February 2006, 20:38
Led's can blink and such, but neon really has to be steady...

Its an easy hook-up...mine was powered by a cigarette lighter-type connection that I could plug or unplug at will...( I had a socket attached to my swing-arm)

They use so little power, that I left them on when I went somewhere....just for the WTF factor... :) Here on the forum, I took some s:censort, but in the real world...much like my skull, I got a lot of appreciative comments...

Perhaps someone that has Big Cahonies will post some pictures of what they actually look like on a sporty. I bet it's pretty good. Besides illimunating the motor I was thinking that a blue led Inside my chin spoiler would look really good. Give the bike a nice glow. It's a option for maybe down the road but not something I'm doing for sure. I certainly havent come to the " No Way, No How " Conclusion yet.

acenorm
22nd February 2006, 21:20
I have a switch on mine that I have attached on the side of my battery cover. It is w/in easy access while riding, but still hidden.

Best Regards,
Norm

tonydangerous
22nd February 2006, 22:01
For The love of God Noooo!!!!!!!!:frownthre
Not my thing but hey, whatever floats your boat or cranks your tractor:)

flskevin
26th February 2006, 14:21
It all depends on how it's done. Anything can look tacky if done with poor planning and execution and look super cool if done well.

If I were to put any neon near my motor it would be neon spark plug wires. At least the wires serve a function and enhance the looks at the same time.

roadogette
26th February 2006, 14:34
No way would I put those tacky things on Sassy. She'd have a fit. I don't want her looking like a rice burner.

jade44V
27th February 2006, 01:30
The first time I saw those lights on a bike, I was a passenger in a car in the left lane at night and something caught my eye in the lane on my right. It turned out to be a very quiet Sportster with white LED lights (not big, conspicuous, bright lights - subtle ones that lit the engine a little, and the road below the bike). It was cool, just enough to make you see the bike, and then wonder why it caught your eye, because the lights worked without being overdone.

JicJac
27th February 2006, 01:57
Neons ...... NOT on your life!

Do them come with a fake gold tooth with a diamond implated in them?

http://images.picpile.com/uploads/173120061.jpg

Come on bro, don't be harsh.....
No such thing as too much neon.....
http://img4.picsplace.to/img4/20/lights.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)

Casper
27th February 2006, 02:22
What, JicJac, nothing on the forks or bars? :D

JicJac
27th February 2006, 02:25
What, JicJac, nothing on the forks or bars? :D
^Didn't wanna push my luck.

tim4hire
27th February 2006, 07:06
Jicjac what did you to turboto's bike?does he know?!:eek:

CapMorganXL
27th February 2006, 09:27
Perhaps someone that has Big Cahonies will post some pictures of what they actually look like on a sporty. I bet it's pretty good.
I actually took a couple quick pics of my setup, but they didn't turn out too good. I intend on messing with settings a bit to try to capture a realistic picture, but since mine are the UV purples, it might be tough. If I get anything that is even close to accurate, I will definitely post the pics. Also, I ordered a set of the Harley lights. Though they seemed pretty well made, I had two problems with them. 1. The light pods are a bit long, making it difficult to find a way to mount them out of sight on a Sporty (not many places to stick em). 2. I ordered the purples, but Harley uses a combo of blue leds and red leds to try to make purple. They actually looked pink, which looked like crap. I sold 'em on ebay to a woman with a BT.

JicJac
27th February 2006, 14:31
Jicjac what did you to turboto's bike?does he know?!:eek:
I guess he'll know when he fires it up again. All them lights, bells, and whistles will give him a clue.

Seriously though, maybe I got a little too much old skool in me. I just ain't liking teh neon. I don't like them 17" wheels with skinny tires and spinners on lowered Chevy Impalas either. Just me.

http://img9.picsplace.to/img9/7/pimpmobile.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)

Sometimes, nuf's nuf. Dig?

JJ

Dubfire
27th February 2006, 22:32
Not my cup of tea!

vha27
28th February 2006, 19:42
to each his own, personally i dont like any flash

Predator
28th February 2006, 22:45
They look like SH :censor T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

merc
28th February 2006, 23:57
I thought about those neon lights a few times.
I thought they looked cool on the bikes I saw with the engines lit up.
I just didn't really think it was me plus there really was no need or use for them on my bike that I could see.

Greywolf
3rd March 2006, 18:16
Not here can't see lighting up "grey" powdercoat, maybe on a chromed out softail.

Dragonsoni
4th March 2006, 00:24
Does anyone have the Valve Stem Covers that Light Up when the tires spin around?

Cool or Not Cool.

acenorm
4th March 2006, 01:50
Cool or uncool is all up to you and what you want out of your bike. Some people have LED's and some don't, some went the chrome avenue, and some went the blacked out way and others went a mixture. It's your bike, so do what you want. Don't let others dictate to you and how your bike should look.

Best Regards,
Norm

raysheen
4th March 2006, 01:52
Does anyone have the Valve Stem Covers that Light Up when the tires spin around?

Cool or Not Cool.

See Chuck's (cantolina) response to this one...it seems that they may break your valve stems off :shhhh

tim4hire
4th March 2006, 02:23
See Chuck's (cantolina) response to this one...it seems that they may break your valve stems off :shhhh
I don't understand that at all doesn't seem to make sense:dunno

Moved On
4th March 2006, 22:32
I don't understand that at all doesn't seem to make sense:dunnoI'll try to clarify this... Chuck had them on his bike once... they broke his valve stems off :D

Gazza

BWP 5p
5th March 2006, 01:52
I don't know about the neons....but I've been thinking about a couple of those 500 watt work lights:roflblack
I'm sure people would see me at night that way:banana
Would I need an extra battery:rolleyes:
Actually....IF I ever rode at night....I actually think a couple small well placed LED's would be pretty cool if in the right spot.

It must be the wine talking because I'm actually in the process of De-chroming my ride so what good would LED's be for me:wonderlan

tim4hire
5th March 2006, 04:33
I'll try to clarify this... Chuck had them on his bike once... they broke his valve stems off :D

Gazza
I'm admitdly slow but I can't let this go.
So I continue to beat the horse:
I can't see how in the Fn world can one of those screw on led valve caps land up breaking the valve stem off?
lucy you gat som splainnin to do?(please I'm beggin for some enlightinment here! I'm losin sleep over this)

cantolina
5th March 2006, 04:37
I TOTALLY thought they were cool....(maybe it was a phase... :dunno)

But There is NO clearance at your rear caliper for anything but the small cap....(mag wheels, btw, not laced)

And yes, it DID shear off my valve stem... :laugh

Actually, it BENT the valve stem as it self-destructed, and caused a slow leak....took me a day to notice....

acenorm
5th March 2006, 07:19
I had bought these when they first came out, and for the rear, the guy gave me an adapter because it would hit, because of the size. So, Chuck is correct that it could possibly rip your valve stem

Best Regards,
Norm

Webmistress
15th March 2006, 19:06
Well, my buddy Reaper stole my bike last Saturday and rolled it down the alley to his Monster Garage, and when he gave it back Saturday night it GLOWED!!

Yep, he blue-lighted my bike with LEDs as a "Get Well" gift since I've been recovering from a neck problem and haven't been able to ride the last couple months. I rode it to our club meeting last night, and I've gotta tell you, the blue glow definitely made my bike more visible in traffic.

It also looked way cool. :D

Since then, Reaper added *FLAME* LEDs to his E-Glide, which is about the most eye-catching effect I've seen yet, and he added "Ocean" blue/green/turquoise LEDs to his wife's 1200XL. They all look great.

I've never much cared what anybody else thought about my bike (or me), so if anybody considers my glowing bike as "tacky", that's fine. I like it. It's a fun effect, and my bike is aaallll about fun. :)

Crash03
20th March 2006, 06:57
Perhaps someone that has Big Cahonies will post some pictures of what they actually look like on a sporty...
You MUST have meant me!
:smoke Actually I bought my bike used, and the young kid I got it from was SO proud of those lights, that I didn't have the heart to tell him that before the bike even made it into my garage that first night they'd be gone. But then he turned them on, (he had wired in a switch and everything), and I thought they looked GREAT! So I left 'em and they've been there ever since. I'll see if I can get a pic or two sometime this week...

By the way, in most states, at least in the East, its illegal to actually run with those lights on.

2wheeltodd
20th March 2006, 19:56
To me nothing says POSER like neon.
No offense to those who use them - just my opinion.

Crash03
21st March 2006, 07:46
No offense to those who use them - just my opinion.
Hey no problem, why would ANYONE take offense to someone saying, "Anyone who does what you did, CAN'T be a 'real' biker..."? LOL. (Just takin' a shot back at ya. ;) )

Webmistress
21st March 2006, 14:47

Oh yeah, I'm definitely a poser. :)

HDFirefighter
28th March 2006, 17:33
I installed a set on an '05 1200C last year. It is the dark blue bike and I put on the HD blue LED kit. I think it looked really good. I tried very very hard to hide all wires and tried to fit the wires into the stock wiring harness. You can't even tell they are there unless you are looking for them. I personally don't think they would look all that good on my bike being the there is not alot of chrome but, to each is their own.

DMW
28th March 2006, 17:57
Makes your bike look like a damn christmas tree,no way would i ruin a harley like that

jaws
28th March 2006, 20:08
I installed a set on an '05 1200C last year. It is the dark blue bike and I put on the HD blue LED kit. I think it looked really good. I tried very very hard to hide all wires and tried to fit the wires into the stock wiring harness. You can't even tell they are there unless you are looking for them. I personally don't think they would look all that good on my bike being the there is not alot of chrome but, to each is their own.

:laugh Never thought about running the blue light on my bike.

XL O.C.D.
29th March 2006, 01:43
Depends. They look good on some, bad on other. They sometimes make a great looking bike look better, but they always make a bad looking bike look worse. Me, I'll do what I want with my bike. It's my bike and I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks. Period. I personally don't run them, not because I don't like them, but because it's just not the look I want.

wagoneer12
29th June 2006, 02:44
I think they would only look good on a real 1200 RS. Real good.

Gone
29th June 2006, 03:13
Always liked neon I could always find my favorite bar no matter how drunk with all those neon lights shining. On my bike no thanks.

Crash03
29th June 2006, 06:28
Always liked neon I could always find my favorite bar no matter how drunk with all those neon lights shining. On my bike no thanks.

You must be the drunk guy that keeps following me up my driveway, hollering about "What's the drink special!?" :smoke

Gone
29th June 2006, 12:25
You must be the drunk guy that keeps following me up my driveway, hollering about "What's the drink special!?" :smoke
At one time I could definitely have been that guy and that would have been one of the tamer things. But I never got drunk enough to put neon on my bike.

Winberry Farms
29th June 2006, 15:22
:roflblack Not for me at all, but its your bike and you can do what ever you want. I always snicker when I see them on a croch rocket much less a Harley.:roflblack

wabiker
29th June 2006, 16:48
neons= ghey IMO

Snuffy
30th June 2006, 02:19
LED and Neon no thanks, but I am going to blow up some balloons and tie them to my forks for that added potatoe potatoe sound

wabiker
30th June 2006, 02:27
LED and Neon no thanks, but I am going to blow up some balloons and tie them to my forks for that added potatoe potatoe sound
....Dont forget the color streamers and sparkle handgrips:banana

Crash03
30th June 2006, 09:56
neons= ghey IMO

And here I always thought it was men having sex with men = ghey.

5oh
30th June 2006, 14:30
I installed 3 small blue LED's on my sporty. They are all tucked underneath the tank and just cast a blue light on the top of the engine. I don't think it looks tacky like having elevnty billion lights all over the thing. I'll try and get some pics when it's dark.

wabiker
30th June 2006, 14:40
And here I always thought it was men having sex with men = ghey.

....nope that would be gAy, Its a reference to an old Thread.

sicksporty
30th June 2006, 17:26
Neon lights on ANY bike is about as cool as riding around with a carebears sticker on your helmet and a rainbow sticker on your back fender.

acenorm
30th June 2006, 18:12
Well, than I am 2/3
cool, because I have the Care Bears sticker on the helmet.:roflblack

Best Regards,
Norm

tcspannerwrench
28th July 2006, 04:00
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/MVC-005S1.JPG

7 colors just happened to catch purple they fade from one color to the next, and my carebear sticker came from a dead concert

streetshooter
28th July 2006, 04:10
My friend Juan has crazy lights on his 1200....even has some kind of flourescent underneath......the bike glows at night.......just what ya need in North philly to be descrete.......

I laugh but he's loves it......me, I hate turn signals, any lights......use hands all the time....I'll try to make a pic and upload it here.....later

Webmistress
28th July 2006, 04:20
Neon lights on ANY bike is about as cool as riding around with a carebears sticker on your helmet and a rainbow sticker on your back fender.

Hey! Are you trash talking about MY bike?! I happen to think my Care Bears helmet sticker is very cool, and ditto for my glitter-rainbow paint job on my rear fender. :)

Gone
28th July 2006, 04:32
I have a couple of Care Bear collector cards in my spokes to make that big twin sound... I think it is RAD..

txsporty
6th August 2006, 22:49
I think they Look Great!!!!!

On Someone else's Scoot!!!!!;)

XLFREAK
24th August 2006, 05:08
nononononononnnnnoooooo not on my bike any way Idont care what you do to yours!:roflblack :tour

XLFREAK
24th August 2006, 05:11
I have a couple of Care Bear collector cards in my spokes to make that big twin sound... I think it is RAD..
That idea kicks a$$ thanks !:roflblack :roflblack :geek

sprtrjl
24th August 2006, 05:19
NO THANKS! Actualy the ones Harley sells are L.E.D. not neon. They may look ok on a show bike with the right display. But on my Bike NEVER! I don't even want to ride with someone running them.

tcspannerwrench
24th August 2006, 20:27
View Poll Results: Would You run Neon Trim Lights on Your Sporty
I run them and like them a Lot ( Their Cool ) 16 5.08%
I'm thinking of running them But havent decided yet 60 19.05%
I have No Opnion one way or the other on the subject 51 16.19%
I dont think they really look good ( Not Cool ) 26 8.25%
Aint No way in H*ll I'd run them ( Totally Tacky ) 162 51.43%

Myself and 15 others :banarock
it ain't easy being cheezy :)

burnout083
4th September 2006, 21:55
i installed some led's inside of my hypercharger. i hit the switch and its lights up inside bright red. i really like them here. i also had them over the engine and didn't care for them.

sfxtech
4th September 2006, 22:16
i installed some led's inside of my hypercharger. i hit the switch and its lights up inside bright red. i really like them here. i also had them over the engine and didn't care for them.

Inside the hypercharger sounds like it would look cool...

I don't really care for them usually, but that seems like it would look pretty cool.....
I personally would never put them on my bike, unless I had a hyperscharger.

burnout083
5th September 2006, 05:37
i'll try to get a pic up sometime. if i do it soon, i'll toss it up here.

Dweezil
11th September 2006, 18:36
I was bored and put some red led's over my engine last week. It's very subdued, and looks pretty good against all the chrome...I am keeping them because I like them. However, just for grins, I put a neon light under the bike, and it looked sorta cheezy. I HATE the way neon lights look under a car, I don't know why I thought they would look better under a bike. I guess the only good time to run lighting like that would be for a show or something.

Don't like 'em? Don't look at 'em. :lolsign They're not anymore silly than some of the silly helmets I see, like the "Colonel Klink" as seen here.
http://www.buymotorcyclehelmets.com/assets/images/products/thchromespike.gif

I added lights to my bike out of boredom and because I like them (except for the neon). If someone else wants neon under their bike, more power to you. If it makes you happy, do it and screw what everyone else thinks...do what makes YOU happy, not what makes everyone else happy. :wonderlan

Sean
18th September 2006, 22:13
Um, yea...put 'em on yesterday. The blue ones. I like the looks of it, even on my own scoot.:smoke
If anyone's thinking of trying it, you can save lots of $$ by getting the individual LED's from your local auto parts store. Mine cost about $9.00 for a pack of 4. Spent about $30 for lights, wiring, and the switch.

jamman
18th September 2006, 22:25
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/MVC-005S1.JPG

7 colors just happened to catch purple they fade from one color to the next, and my carebear sticker came from a dead concert
I didn't know you had those.. They are ok when not over used.

tcspannerwrench
18th September 2006, 22:53
thats the ticket i only run them at poser events LOL :)

gammaqueen
22nd September 2006, 06:59
I have them and I love em. If I don't want to burn them, I do something really wierd. I turn the switch off!!

Lunchbox
27th September 2006, 05:00
HELL NO!!!!!! i am not a yeppy!!!! look at my shinny bike that i only ride when the weather is nice...

Kentucky
27th September 2006, 14:25
I have no interest in being part of the annual Xmas parade or a member of the local Gold Wing association. If Harley wanted the bike to have them purdy lights they would have issued them. Them things just ain't right on a HOG......

supercharger
28th September 2006, 03:30
GAY!!!!!:roflblack

david
29th September 2006, 23:28
If ya like lights that is cool , but it is not my thang. Just donot say anything about my possum tails hanging off my hangrips.

tcspannerwrench
30th September 2006, 02:48
i deleted a post that after thinking about it was too rude but i still dont get calling people Gay becouse they put a little bling on there bike, i dont call people names for cutting up a good bike for no better reson than its popular to "bob" your bike

gammaqueen
30th September 2006, 04:15
It's my bike, I like em, ain't asking you to ride it. You won't EVER catch me telling you what to put on youe bike, nor will I put you down because of what you have on it. If it's your bike, it's your business. I just don't believe in cutting on a persons ride. I don't care if it's a Honda. I am just glad they ride.

XLXR
30th September 2006, 06:13
Hey - what do you mean "... if it's a Honda." I've got a Honda XR 650 R sleeping next to Sporty every night. It'll woop the Sporty on any dirt road.

Gold951
6th October 2006, 02:51

LV
1200RS phantom

You've got to be shitting me, Right?

Here's a mantra for you to chant: Neon is Rice. Neon is Rice. Ommmmm....

jamman
6th October 2006, 12:05
If ya like lights that is cool , but it is not my thang. Just donot say anything about my possum tails hanging off my hangrips.
Exactally..
deleted a post that after thinking about it was too rude but i still dont get calling people Gay becouse they put a little bling on there bike, i dont call people names for cutting up a good bike for no better reson than its popular to "bob" your bike
Werd..
It's my bike, I like em, ain't asking you to ride it. You won't EVER catch me telling you what to put on youe bike, nor will I put you down because of what you have on it. If it's your bike, it's your business. I just don't believe in cutting on a persons ride. I don't care if it's a Honda. I am just glad they ride
You tell em.

Gone
13th October 2006, 22:39
I ran 2 6" LED sections (Autozone LED for car grills) attached to the frame on the side with the pipes.
It adds a nice glow under the bike, and draws attention from motorists that are approaching from the side.

Ran all wires along the frame, switch is just forward of the seat. Fuse is under the seat, H3LL I like it, alse added a cigarette lighter to the 3way switch. It's located under the tank in towards the front of the frame.

As for being legal. What I was informed (in the state of Kansas) was that as long as you couldn't see the light elements/bulbs it's legal.

2wheeltodd
14th October 2006, 00:22
Nothing says bling like Neon. Absolutly not for me, ummm, err but I am sure they would look great on your bike.:not

Gone
14th October 2006, 05:11
It ain't bling it's about being seen, subtly. If it catches another motorists attention while I'm riding at night, all the better. Besides your right Harley's are all about making them your bike. Some decisions are style, others comfort, but all show something about the owner. Me I love technology, computers, and sportsters. Basically anything fast!

John1200
15th October 2006, 03:25
Neon lights are meant to say "Ice Cold Beer" or "Totally Nude Dancers". They aint for lighting up your chrome!

scott schu
20th October 2006, 02:25
I put 'em on my other bike Black FLHX so I can find it in the dark.

jrazo
20th October 2006, 03:33
neons or LEDs are fine, but to they make these for bikes? Sweet Rims (http://www.guzer.com/videos/light_rims.php):tour

flskevin
20th October 2006, 03:38
You could be very creative with this stuff....

Electro-Luminex Light Tape (http://www.lighttape.com/)

http://lighttape.com/images/gallery/img_auto_09.jpg

flskevin
28th November 2006, 18:03
A friend gave me some small LED lights he ha left over from his truck project and here's what I ended up doing. Mounting 2 behind the air cleaner to light the engine chrome. I have 2 more but havent figured out where I'll put them.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/LED_Lights.jpg

Bill2
10th December 2006, 02:40
I would'nt hang them on my bike but i saw a streetfighter at a rally that had all kinds of led's jumping to some dance music that looked and sounded good.

milmat1
22nd December 2006, 22:41
I Like my Blue lights coming out of the exhaust pipes !!!!

They are Cool Looking juat don't know if they belong on a Harley though !!!

milmat1
22nd December 2006, 23:09
Hey FlsKevin :
How about hiding the extra ones up under the rear fender ?

Or the under side of the frame ???

flskevin
23rd December 2006, 01:00
Hey FlsKevin :
How about hiding the extra ones up under the rear fender ?

Or the under side of the frame ???

Naw, the lights were given to me and I didn't want to have to route more wires all over the place. They would get in the way when I need to work on her.

4 is plenty 2 on each of the motor, just enough to give it a little color accent.

risotteria
14th January 2007, 05:47
like whipped cream on a hot dog

rharrison356
14th January 2007, 06:28
Now, if we could install black lights with some Peter Max graphics on my tank:hipgrl

superwarden
14th January 2007, 07:09
If you are trying to look like every hormone crazed 16 year old boy and his first datsun, then by all means go with the neon. Otherwise no, not for this dude.

Liam
14th January 2007, 07:31
People who dig colored lights on their bikes are like the man who fell into the lens-grinding machine... He made a spectacle of himself!

thespis
14th January 2007, 08:15
My '82 won't have anything attached that isn't need to make it run hard or remain relatively legal

Not a fan of bling.....:p

:chop

cheers
Thespis
W.A. south of the equator

Liam
14th January 2007, 08:39
"Bling" Is a ghetto term used to describe excess gold and diamonds. By my way of thinking, it has nothing to do with biker culture. Am I too "old school?".

thespis
14th January 2007, 09:43
"Bling" Is a ghetto term used to describe excess gold and diamonds. By my way of thinking, it has nothing to do with biker culture. Am I too "old school?".

Hmmm..not a bad point you make.

However, where I live we have no "ghetto". The term is generally used to describe anything shiny that is added for no reason other than it is shiny. If cable TV is any guage, it appears to mean this everywhere...but I am aware of it's origins.

The usage we give terms is an interesting issue. I personally truly dislike the term 'old school'. To me, this term is a totally meaningless idiom invented by the 'new school' of TV bike/hotrod builders and other denizens of the new Chopperdom....but that's my problem.

and how's that last one for a run-on sentence! geez Louise, I think I need sleep...:toungelau

If I've offended, please take this as an apology.

cheers
Thespis

sportster_don
18th January 2007, 13:47
I could make this long winded, but I wont
The majority of the responses sound so earily familiar.
Maybe you have heard this one "Sportsters are girls bikes"
All you guys dumpin on people who feel that led's might add a sense of uniqueness to thier rides, dont seem to understand the value of personal choice.
I know, I know.... flame on, go for it, i can take it.

thespis
18th January 2007, 13:53
All you guys dumpin on people who feel that led's might add a sense of uniqueness to thier rides, dont seem to understand the value of personal choice.

Hey, if it makes you love your bike more, go for it. All I said was ..not on mine.

:smoke

cheers
Thespis

Liam
18th January 2007, 15:55
"Unique", by definition, does not mean following the latest trend. I was recently accused of using a trendy term when I said I was "old school". TV bike builders did not invent that term. I don't even have cable. I am a mechanic at a HD dealer, and those "master builders" mean nothing to me. I started riding in the early '70s, and "old school" meant just that. Back then, a "chopper" was a stock bike that was stripped down and modified, with mostly 1 off, fabricated parts. Now what they call a "chopper" is a non-ride able piece of crap made out of parts ordered from catalogs. The fact that I'm arguing with "bikers" about colored lights on their bikes makes me want to puke!

GOTWA
18th January 2007, 16:04
"Unique", by definition, does not mean following the latest trend. I was recently accused of using a trendy term when I said I was "old school". TV bike builders did not invent that term. I don't even have cable. I am a mechanic at a HD dealer, and those "master builders" mean nothing to me. I started riding in the early '70s, and "old school" meant just that. Back then, a "chopper" was a stock bike that was stripped down and modified, with mostly 1 off, fabricated parts. Now what they call a "chopper" is a non-ride able piece of crap made out of parts ordered from catalogs. The fact that I'm arguing with "bikers" about colored lights on their bikes makes me want to puke!

You always make me laugh. :D

Liam
18th January 2007, 16:13
You always make me laugh. :D

Thank you very much... some people will not see the humor... Did you find my use of "quotation marks" funny? I hope so!

sportster_don
18th January 2007, 18:03
"Unique" is and always will be with the person attempting to attain it. I fault noone for finding something pleasing asthetically to themselves. Just remember there's always someone who will not "appreciate" what you do as well. Just because "you" think you are "cool" doesn't neccesarily make it "so"

NoTrace34
18th January 2007, 18:16
IMO they look kind of cheesy on anything ....including cars. They are listed in my book somewhere close to curb feelers....come to think of it...they had those with little lights on the ends too.Hmmmm.....im onto something....curb feelers on my bike....maybe some fuzzy balls hanging from my seat(the fringe ones ...not my personal set) and a hula bobblehead on my risers. Wonder if I can get hydraulics so I can jump up and down at the traffic lights?

xllent01
18th January 2007, 18:21
Neons???????? :laugh about as ghey as tassles and conchos on a bike. Either way all 3 make me LOL when i see them.:doh

cfl4rat
24th January 2007, 02:20
:wtf :eek: hell no

Sraponi
18th February 2007, 07:19
Just Ordered a wiring set of 10 peice LED wiring Set(each peice with 3 individual LED's) Im 18 with a XL883 2001 and put a ton of money into chrome on this....i am proud of what i got and i wanna show it off as much as i can. Im in Ontario Canada and if i was caught on the road with them on I would be in a ton of shit. I hang out with friends here n there with their bikes and cars so this will definetly turn alot of heads so im more or less using it for show :D Excitied gonna be a few days till they come in....also anyone got a link on how to wire them up? I got a good idea about it but just wanna make sure...2nd year mechanic apprentice just looking for a little advice and guidance :D Thanks guys! will post a pic up once its all good but for now its in peices doing my head gasket :P

rider29206
18th February 2007, 11:36
No

Looks great on someone elses bike traveling the same road as me in the opposite direction.

racerwill
18th February 2007, 13:52
I don't think so, Tim......

Hot Rod Sporty
5th March 2007, 23:48
I wouldn't do that to mine....I've always thought they looked stupid. No offense intended to those who like them.

It's your bike, dude.... (walk away snickering)

Weo
6th March 2007, 00:06
I've seen a lot of Harley's with the LED's around here at the bars. LED's aren't my thing for the Sportster, but to each their own.

I was one of those "stereo guys" when I was a teenager. My trunk was all green neon. I am a bit of a stereophile, and even had a second job at BAG End Audio for awhile. I'm planning on having one small red neon in the interior when I finish off the rear seats of my 928 (finished mids, need to add one sub; Diamond Audio all around)... as long as it doesnt reflect off the windows at night.

I think LED's and neons can get a bit overboard. Here's some LED wheels that (I think) cost $13,000 - $20,000. Wait until the wheels start spinning in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkBPQwxHupA&mode=related&search=

tcspannerwrench
6th March 2007, 01:02
Hate is an ugly thing

Gold951
6th March 2007, 01:40
Yeah, and some of us hate ugly things....

Simon
6th March 2007, 15:26
Neons, huh? While you're at it, why not install a disco ball and get yourself one of thoses John Travolta/Evel Knieval white leather suits with a spread collar and platform Harley boots? OK, all kidding aside, bike mods are a lot like tattoos ... what one person likes, another person's going to roll their eyes at, and at least in tattoo circles, it's not considered good etiquette to down someone else's tattoo. If you like the way neons look, hell, go for it, save if it's not legal in your area, (and I can't see why, there's a hell of an argument to be made for anything that makes your bike more visible). Making an illegal mod is only asking for trouble. Most cops aren't educated enough to tell, but once in a while, you run into someone who has good knowledge and it can result in trouble. My personal taste is to stay relatively close to stock, because I'm fairly old school. (I still remember Sprints and Pacers.) My parts manager bet me that I'd be switching out my pipes before too long, and he's still waiting to collect. (I don't see the point in ditching a perfectly good set of exhaust pipes that haven't worn out yet, and I like a quiet sounding bike.) But then, I'm getting measured for a lap robe soon.....

Notabiker
6th March 2007, 19:43
I see bikes with them and think...WTF. Then my husband tells me he wants'em on his Deluxe. (He always did like his suits just a tad too shiny).:rolleyes:

I say, "baby, ain't no :censor way I'm ridin with ya, with those things on your bike" (To hell with his personal choice! I gotta ride with him)

Hate to offend, but I think they look like some lowrider wannabe crap add-on. That being said...

I may disagree with your choice, but I will fight like hell for your freedom of choice!

Hot Rod Sporty
7th March 2007, 06:07
But then, I'm getting measured for a lap robe soon.....[/QUOTE]

WTF is a lap robe?:dunno

Hot Rod Sporty
7th March 2007, 06:08
I see bikes with them and think...WTF. Then my husband tells me he wants'em on his Deluxe. (He always did like his suits just a tad too shiny).:rolleyes:

I say, "baby, ain't no :censor way I'm ridin with ya, with those things on your bike" (To hell with his personal choice! I gotta ride with him)

Hate to offend, but I think they look like some lowrider wannabe crap add-on. That being said...

I may disagree with your choice, but I will fight like hell for your freedom of choice!

Hear - Hear. There's no accounting for taste!:D

ponti1
19th March 2007, 20:21
I have no interest in them, but can see that one might want them for a show bike. Can't hurt the "bling points", you know? However, I don't see them as very practical for a bike that is going to be ridden, especially since I'm pretty sure they'e illegal to have turned on while riding in most locations...

Where's the thread on 22" spinning rims for my sportster? How about 12" subwoofers in my saddlebags?

:sofa

cantolina
19th March 2007, 20:23
I don't think so, Tim......

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/567/larryface1.jpg

"I don't care who you are...that's FUNNY right there......"

:laugh :laugh :laugh

gammaqueen
11th April 2007, 04:28
I do alot of riding at night. I think my Blue LED's make me more visable to cages. Kinda like my loud pipes save lives mentality. I like them and I use mine often.

tcspannerwrench
16th April 2007, 04:30
I do alot of riding at night. I think my Blue LED's make me more visable to cages. Kinda like my loud pipes save lives mentality. I like them and I use mine often.

this is the same reson i turn mine on when i get off work in the morning cagers are going to work and normaly can not see past their coffee so any thing to stand out

Quadcab666
18th April 2007, 00:08
Looks like crap on those Jap Cagers too......:usaflag

jnlee3
20th April 2007, 18:54
If they are legal in some areas I can see how they would be useful as a safety feature especially if you ride at night a lot. I don't think I would put them on my bike but I have seem some that look pretty good with them installed, again, these are custom bikes that have a good amount of other work done to them as well.

FredrikK
20th April 2007, 19:23
Hmm I'm planning to put a row of red LEDs below the registring plate, to enhance the brake light. They will only be visual when I brake since they will be mounted in the red reflective material. I already have LED turning lights. I saw one of those guys on TV, Jesse James?, that had blue neon light on his ignition (spark plug) cables, they sparked with the same rate as the motor, it looked awesome. But I won't put them om my bike anyhow, my bike should be clean and functional mostly. But who knows, someday I may run into som nice LEDs for just decorative purpose that I will get. But not today...

Little_Dave
4th June 2007, 21:29
I put a wee set of red led's underneath the tank on both sides of my sporty. I have a switch on the handlebars. I use them when I'm parked up at a rally, I just look for the red lights as I come out of the bar tent and I can find my way back to my bike and tent! I found out that others use it who are parked adjacent to me as well. :p They come in handy! Never took a piccy though, will have to do it!:tour

unfiguroutable
4th June 2007, 22:12
only if its a cafe racer!

angel1200
2nd July 2007, 17:03
I'm on the fence. I've seen some bikes where it looks good. At the same time I've seen bikes where it looks tacky. I think it's a neat idea. But the application of the idea doesn't always come out correctly. So meanwhile I'll keep "thinking about it." In actuality I probably never will have them on my Sporty.

OutlawTexan67
2nd July 2007, 18:00
I think they are tacky and wouldnt put them on my bike,but opinions are like assholes everybody's got one!!!!

1STONE
2nd July 2007, 18:21
I think that running them on a nightster would be cool

LoadedDiablo
2nd July 2007, 21:34
I have'em on my '95 883 & I like them. They put a nice blue glow on my engine. I can control them with a reostat or just flip a switch and you can't even tell that they're there.

Other
11th July 2007, 04:26
A friend of mine had blue neon under his Fiero when I was in high school. It went with the kind of ultra-futuristic vibe of the car. On the right car with a very modern look I guess it can look pretty cool.

On a Harley, though, it just seems tacky. It feels like the opposite of Harley for me. I never thought about using them as a tent beacon at Ralies. I guess that kind of makes sense.

I do have a strip on 100 LEDs running down my back fender, though, that I use as a run/brake light. I thought that was pretty neat and kind of new school chopper-ish (i.e. tasteful) to balance an old school bike. It kind of looks like a neon, but I don't use it to light up the engine.

casting dice
11th July 2007, 05:00
i say keep em on the xmas tree unless you wana land planes:frownthre

smiley_79906
19th July 2007, 05:25
Considering them, seeing them on Sportsters here in Augusta, GA. I would prefer, though, that they come on bright when bike parked and go dim when on the road. Think that is possible?

u8mymeat
21st July 2007, 04:12
My buddy has a set of blue ones on a 03 Lowrider... All over the engine - I think it looks great!

If I could get a set installed clean and bright I would definatly go for them.

I would hate it if the install looked tacky or you could really see the lights/wiring... otherwise its a GO in my book!

Paulie420---I'm not sure about, what it is about your bike but that thing just looks killer. I'm a minmal chrome type but your ride is one of my favorites here.

biknut
13th August 2007, 18:41
Sooner or later I'm going to get some. Remote control too.

evil twin
24th September 2007, 21:39
I Have An 04 1200r That Is Impact Blue, I Have Blue Leds All Over The Engine, It Looks Amazing, As A Matter Of Fact I Have 2 Sets Of Them In The Xl Forums Classifieds That Are Brand New Still In The Boxes For Cheap..

Ameri-Deutsch
24th September 2007, 21:57
not for me...BUT.....to each his/her own

harleyhkd
29th September 2007, 04:13
It really doesn't make a bike look bad it just goes better with some bikes more then others. If that makes any sense.

racerwill
3rd October 2007, 06:56
:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

sorry, that's just me....

Ww

JayFL459
21st January 2008, 16:43
I've been looking at those LEd's and start thinking about them lighting up my engine...But I've been painting today so it could be the fumes

You need some good ventilation from those fumes quick...

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/500Sprt.JPG

screech69
21st January 2008, 19:24
To each thier own, but not on my own! No thanx on the LED.

Harley Sam
22nd January 2008, 08:04
I have been thinking about it. But i think it would look ridicolous. I dont want to have a ridicolous bike i wanna cool bike.:smoke

powellsanmiguel
23rd January 2008, 04:19
I would rather be eaten alive by bears than put goofy lights on Farley the Harley. And he would probably cruise me into a bridge abutment if I did so, with good reason.

On the other hand, as my mother used to say, "Everyone is entitled to their own taste, said the old lady as she kissed the cow."

Screwdriver
23rd January 2008, 04:36
Wow....

121 are thinking and 29 are actually running them....

I think I should sell my Sporty and get a Ducati or Guzzi...pretty sure it would be zero zero.

Unless Kev has them....then I'll just shut up.

Little_Dave
29th January 2008, 18:09
My two rows of LEDs run through a switch mounted on the handlebars: great for finding your bike and tent late at night at a rally!:D

paris15
2nd February 2008, 00:43
I wouldn't put them on my bike, but if ya like'em, hey.

SPURS-DarkRider
2nd February 2008, 00:53
Check Out the boogie lights website, they have pics and vids of bikes with them. They sell a kit especially made for sportsters, its ligts up the bike really nice without a lot of over kill. I will be putting either blue or uv purple on my black 1200.

idiggplants
4th February 2008, 22:42
i dont like them because they cause people behind me to crash when my puke hits them in the face/windshield. :D

i make fun of import cars that have em. let alone american bikes. my bike lights up the natural way. when im running to rich and the flames shoot out of the carb.

but hey. to each his own.

Kettelhead
4th February 2008, 22:43
I would never use them on any of my bikes. I don't mind them on other peoples bikes but they are not going near mine.

dtremaine
5th February 2008, 12:09
Unless your riding a lot at night, I don't see any reason to have em.

Geekster
5th February 2008, 16:29
The only non-standard lights I could tolerate on my bike are the ones on the ignition cables (as in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man). But that'd be it for pimping my ride.

DBaum
5th February 2008, 17:14
I know I well catch H:censorL for this but I put Red,White and Blue Leds on my bike (They fade from 1 color to the next). I only run them when it is parked or at a rally. Everyone that has seen them liked them. I installed them my self so I still have some work to hide some of the leds.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/DBAUM_photos/My%20Bike/DSC00668.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/DBAUM_photos/My%20Bike/DSC00671.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/DBAUM_photos/My%20Bike/DSC00656.jpg

SPURS-DarkRider
6th February 2008, 01:22
Hey thats sharp looking, they make your ride different. Dare to be different in any way you like.

biknut
6th February 2008, 02:03
[QUOTE=DBaum;1088926]I know I well catch H:censorL for this but I put Red,White and Blue Leds on my bike (They fade from 1 color to the next). I only run them when it is parked or at a rally. Everyone that has seen them liked them. I installed them my self so I still have some work to hide some of the leds.

I think that's the coolest of the cool. Anyone that doesn't like that is probably a no class biache.

Does it have remote control? Can you program it? I've seen some that you could do that to. What kind is it, and where can they be had?

Fernando Alday
6th February 2008, 09:06
DBaum i would usually not like the led's addition to a motorcycle... nevertheless your tank paint job and the colors of the leds work together for a nice ride!

DBaum
6th February 2008, 18:00
It has a 15 way remote that does some wild stuff. I got them from Joe Florida here is the site.
http://ledaccentlights.net/store/index.php?main_page=index
As for the tank it is not paint it is a reflective decal. I am new to riding and want to be seen so I taked to Bill at Sreetglo.net and he made these for me. I know most people say they would not put decals on there tank like this, but i have had people come up and look at my bike for and ask where I got it paint like that. I just tell them it is not paint and they have to take a second look. Here is the site for the decals http://www.streetglo.net/

slomo
10th February 2008, 01:35
I know I well catch H:censorL for this but I put Red,White and Blue Leds on my bike (They fade from 1 color to the next). I only run them when it is parked or at a rally. Everyone that has seen them liked them. I installed them my self so I still have some work to hide some of the leds.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/DBAUM_photos/My%20Bike/DSC00668.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/DBAUM_photos/My%20Bike/DSC00671.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/DBAUM_photos/My%20Bike/DSC00656.jpg

Where did you install these on you bike i just bought 10 bars with 3 lights on each im having a hard time on where to install them at Purple leds paint black cherry. Slomo

dejomo
10th February 2008, 06:15
I'm silly and I wouldn't run them...

well maybe if I could get one WHOLE side of my bike to blink when I throw on the turn signal and the whole bike lights up like my ASS is on fire when I brake...Hmmm...

Ah hell no...

...well maybe....LOL

Fernando Alday
10th February 2008, 09:15
It has a 15 way remote that does some wild stuff. I got them from Joe Florida here is the site.

As for the tank it is not paint it is a reflective decal. I am new to riding and want to be seen so I taked to Bill at Sreetglo.net and he made these for me. I know most people say they would not put decals on there tank like this, but i have had people come up and look at my bike for and ask where I got it paint like that. I just tell them it is not paint and they have to take a second look. Here is the site for the decals

great idea if you get tired of the design you just yank the sticker off... any way i liked your bike... wouldn't mind to see some day photos posted!!!

XLFREAK
10th February 2008, 22:27
Personally I like them, I don't have them, I'm pretty undecided on it, but I do think they look good. Like anything, too much of anything I don't like. Bottom line is, it's your ride, you do what you want with it.

People can say what ever they want about everything people do, there are things I would never put that some do, but, like I said, it's not my ride...

wandrur
11th February 2008, 01:11
Doubt I'd do it myself, but I can see how they could look cool on some bikes. Just my opinion. Hell, I used to think that drag bars looked idiotic, but I've come around! Still not my thing, but they have their place. To each his or her own.

DBaum
11th February 2008, 17:10
As for where I mount the leds: I put some in A/C, Some on the frame by the oil tank, And some on the front of the frame under the tank (very tricky).

great idea if you get tired of the design you just yank the sticker off... any way i liked your bike... wouldn't mind to see some day photos posted!!!

If you look on the site WWW.Streetglo.net the photo on the font page is my bike. They also have alot of diff. styles you can go with.

Mr M
12th February 2008, 14:14
Plus side - they may help more people notice you,

Down side those people will think your a c**t

Preacher
12th February 2008, 19:31
As for where I mount the leds: I put some in A/C, Some on the frame by the oil tank, And some on the front of the frame under the tank (very tricky).

If you look on the site WWW.Streetglo.net the photo on the font page is my bike. They also have alot of diff. styles you can go with.

Will they do profanity?

I want one for my tank that says "!!!!!!! You, I have enough 'friends'."

dejomo
13th February 2008, 05:16
Hey Preacher,

Ya know...there just might be a market for that...

Maxanimal
14th February 2008, 03:00
Neons in a fish tank cool! On a bike, car or truck, Gay!!!!

Tha_Goblin
22nd February 2008, 19:42
too fast.. to furious..

the movie alone should be reason enough to NOT have neons.. ;)

tcspannerwrench
23rd February 2008, 02:52
no need to be hate'n just cause the women flock to a light up bike like moths

sportsterfreak05
23rd February 2008, 03:03
Going with strobe kit I designed for my bike. Runs of of dc battery pack for RC cars and looks sick at night. Freaks people out.:tour

Leumas
23rd February 2008, 12:54
Neons, on a bike? You'll be wanting stereos, ipods, M3-players and cup holders next....what's wrong with You all? Buy a winnibago/caravan or a Toyota/Honda with a massive exhasut pipe and no go...and no style......I feel better now.......:banana :):)Leumas

tcspannerwrench
25th February 2008, 04:36
no that you mentioned it i am looking at a amp and speakers for my ipod

$250 cant make up my mind but i know i dont care for riding with ear phones

gammaqueen
27th February 2008, 03:16
Neons, on a bike? You'll be wanting stereos, ipods, M3-players and cup holders next....what's wrong with You all? Buy a winnibago/caravan or a Toyota/Honda with a massive exhasut pipe and no go...and no style......I feel better now.......:banana :):)Leumas

I already have the blue LED's, a cup holder and an MP3 on mine. I think a DVD player would make a good addition next.

dejomo
27th February 2008, 03:48
I already have the blue LED's, a cup holder and an MP3 on mine. I think a DVD player would make a good addition next.

Have a nook added to the top of the gas tank and you could have one of those little flip out 7" DVD players installed!!!:smoke

jimstogs
28th February 2008, 00:35
Now see thats the great thing about our bikes, and being able to make it yours.
I have had 20 blue leds on mine, they looked good, lite up Forks, front rim and back rim, and all over both sides of the Engine area. I have since removed them. because they were in the way of all the work I was and am doing.

I have a couple of tips for anyone that is planning on doing them.

1. Get very good proven lights, as you have heard vibration and riding in the open are hard on them.

2. Get lights that are multicolored You may think that Red, or Blue, or Green is all that you would ever want, but for the few dollars more why not have options.

3. If you are tearing your bike down now wait till you aren't, no matter how robust the kit is that you are going to use, none of them will take kindly to a great deal of movement. So wait till the end of all your mods before placing them.

4. Take the time to mount these in the most obscure fashion, lights look great at night, but wires and light pods look crappy during the daylight hours.

There you go, what I know of lighting, now IMO they look great when done right.

gammaqueen
28th February 2008, 05:47
Good advice!

Now see thats the great thing about our bikes, and being able to make it yours.
I have had 20 blue leds on mine, they looked good, lite up Forks, front rim and back rim, and all over both sides of the Engine area. I have since removed them. because they were in the way of all the work I was and am doing.

I have a couple of tips for anyone that is planning on doing them.

1. Get very good proven lights, as you have heard vibration and riding in the open are hard on them.

2. Get lights that are multicolored You may think that Red, or Blue, or Green is all that you would ever want, but for the few dollars more why not have options.

3. If you are tearing your bike down now wait till you aren't, no matter how robust the kit is that you are going to use, none of them will take kindly to a great deal of movement. So wait till the end of all your mods before placing them.

4. Take the time to mount these in the most obscure fashion, lights look great at night, but wires and light pods look crappy during the daylight hours.

There you go, what I know of lighting, now IMO they look great when done right.

roadking79
28th February 2008, 16:47
I think lights on a show bike look cool... they also increase your visibility in riding with them on at night. And at a rally or event, it helps your bike stand out (and helps you find it).

Even w/ all those pros, I don't really care for them. :dunno

u8mymeat
14th March 2008, 09:41
All these people who really detest LED's and Neons almost makes me want to put some on my bike. Can I change my vote?

twotoneXLH883C
26th April 2008, 04:18
So I guess I'm gonna end up with a few flames on this, but I put Green LED's on mine. And yes I've got a car with lots of LED's, a bodykit, rims and a little bit of performance. I'm not a young kid either, there have always been guys around here with old cars, new cars and whatever who've added Neons or LED's to personalize them, so I guess I'm an oddity. Oh these pics are blurry.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Malibu00_2006/Harley/HarleyallLitUp001.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Malibu00_2006/Harley/HarleyallLitUp007.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Malibu00_2006/Harley/HarleyallLitUp003.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Malibu00_2006/Harley/HarleyallLitUp002.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Malibu00_2006/Harley/BikeandcarNiceandclean002.jpg

reblu
27th May 2008, 15:49
Totally tacky ! they should be stuck on a xmas tree not on a bike !!!!

cafe_dave
12th June 2008, 02:49
I think they look good on the right bike.....I don't think my blacked out motor would gain anything from them

Joe883
17th June 2008, 22:05
I run a set of blue ones on my bike, 4 under the tank, and 4 under the frame. They light up the engine well, and give an eerie glow to the ground which I think is very cool. Another benefit of them is you get noticed by cars. Most importantly by the drunk drivers so they don't run you off the road. There not totally legal, but as long as they are not flashing local law enforcement is not going to bother you. Any way I can increase my visibility without having a Glow in the dark hot pink sporty, I'm all for it!

drumballer
17th June 2008, 22:47
I just have a kit with 4 LEDS around my motor that I made myself and it keeps it subtle but Really makes my chrome POP! plus with the blue pearl floating on the paint I just really think it looks pretty classy. AndI dont like it when peoples bikes look like a runway but a little color is always cool in my book.

flipcrab85
20th June 2008, 22:35
strategically placed single CLEAR leds may not be bad. imo

drumballer
12th August 2008, 01:13
Heres a pic with mine on. They are pretty subtle around the motor.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa102/drumballer007/My%20Bike/100_0927.jpg

ShadenGheist
12th August 2008, 23:31
Nope. Not my thing.

But I do kinda like those neon spark plug boots. Not the glass tubes that replace your wires, the ones I mean plug straight onto the plug and you connect you wire to it.

They don't work on 04 and up Sportys though.:frownthre

Teehaml
14th August 2008, 03:18
Nah, I don't think so.... Tee

EGNBLU
14th August 2008, 03:51
No chance I will ever have them on any bike I ever own...

Leumas
21st August 2008, 21:21
I have seen some I really like...the local chip shop has a blue outline of a fish and the words Fish and chips above it, also I have aseen a Budweiser neon sign in a local pub...I was thinking that I could mount that under the bike in reverse so that when it rains (ie the road is wet) I could advertise the beer....would look really cool. Stylish, you know....? Leumas.

casting dice
5th September 2008, 23:34
sporty is not a christmas tree.

Winston_Smith
9th September 2008, 14:30
I use 'em. Lets see black bike, black gear. Hmmm. I need something to get attention of cars at night. I only run them at night,(well they can only be seen at night) but my bike is alot more visable. Oh, I run reds, but check the laws in your state first. There are places on your bike you can't mount reds in Colorado.

bald_bueller
9th September 2008, 14:53
I had a set on my 1997 883 hugger....
they were not the kind you could turn off though,
they were blue lightning bolts and they were built into my spark plug wires....whenever the plug fired the light pulsed.
i thought they were cool i liked em, never really gave a $h1t what anyone thought about them.
only reason i took them off was i broke one and could not find a single bulb anywhere....decided to go simple..... been thinking about a set like that for the buell but doubt its a good idea with my new riding style on that bike

funnythebunny
28th September 2008, 04:24
I installed them on both our bikes. Makes the bikes very visible at night. If I ever get pulled over, my reply will always be "did you see me? Thank you officer, for they keep me visible and alive".

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/655/medium/P5061681alt.jpg

daggar rider
28th September 2008, 04:32
sporty is not a christmas tree.

:clap:laugh:clap:laugh

love it, couldn't have said it better myself.

i have seen some off the wall outragious choppers with them and they can pull it off if they are minimal but no i don't think they look good in general

Johnny Wolf
6th October 2008, 05:48
I would rather puke coat hangers than install neons on anything other than a beer sign.

krono
6th October 2008, 06:49
every pizza delivery bike here has those neons lights... I would not put them on mine with a gun @ my head...

now, LED lights on turn and brake (I mean replacing the original bulb with LED bulb), and a front HID light, that is another thing... also I like the sparkplug cables that shine when running, but to see on somebody else bike :)

goinsideways136
6th October 2008, 07:43
those tacky lights make me want to punch babies

reblu
6th October 2008, 08:00
:doh Whats the use for that ???? its a bike not a xmas tree !!!!

jsibur
28th October 2008, 18:09
They look nice on Christmas trees but never on my bike.

bigrabo
28th October 2008, 18:13
i would probably get them if i did alot night riding............you cant see the lights on during the day....

Rehit
28th October 2008, 18:19
you could add subwoofers as well...
then you would almost have an Escalade...:laugh

hmiller
28th October 2008, 22:09
you could add subwoofers as well...
then you would almost have an Escalade...

Wouldn't you also need those stupid spinning rims?

Twisted Nightster
4th November 2008, 09:03
Spend your money on something Cool....like cams, intake, heads, bars .....anything but NEONS:laugh:laugh

Likemlouder
5th November 2008, 05:11
whatever gets you goin. but not for me

bud095
10th November 2008, 06:23
those tacky lights make me want to punch babies

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:boxing

Flexplate
26th December 2008, 04:47
I install the lights at rallys and have never put them on a sporty as they are hard to hide (no room under tank). I will put them on my sporty after my rebuild on the 95 but it will have a softail tank.

Whatever makes you happy it your ride