PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to know easier way to change oil

H@mbone!
21st February 2006, 21:54
I changed the oil in my 86 Sporty this weekend and didn't realize it was such a hassle. Also changed the crankcase oil. The crankcase oil was the easy part along with changing the oil filter. But the manual says I have to pull the hose off the oil tank to get the oil drained. Is this the only way or is there a drain plug under the oil tank to make this easier. My hands are to big to get in under the oil tank and pull the hose off and put it back on. Took me forever to finally get it back on. I seen a hose under neith the frame, but don't know what it is for. Any help would be appreciated.

Randum77
21st February 2006, 21:59
I know on the 93-03 there is a hose that just dead ends on the frame. it's behined the primary case, below the rear brake selnoid type thing. it just has a gator type clip thingy holding it on. I can get better directions when i get home if you need em.
p.s. dont pay any mind to my technical jargon. ;) lol

Gone
21st February 2006, 22:02
The hose that dead ends on the the muffler mount is the drain hose. take off the clamp to drain the oil. i will try to post a pic for ya when i get home.

H@mbone!
21st February 2006, 22:05
Yeah I found a hose on the underneith frame but don't know exactly what it is for. I pulled the hose I found on the oil tank off and just made a mess.

H@mbone!
21st February 2006, 22:06
Thanks bad_fast that would be great, and need to know what clamp your talking about.

melcheld
21st February 2006, 22:12
Anyone up for betting on who will post the infamous oil drain hose pic first?
$5 on bad_fast, cuz he's got "fast" in his name. Don't let me down!

Cheers,
Luke

Dubfire
21st February 2006, 22:38
C'mon Randum, my money's on you! 500 Venezuelan Bolivares :D

PSEBYL
21st February 2006, 23:45
mhamden, this was prepared especially by our gracious host (Thanks Bert!)

http://linson.us/harleydavidson/sportsters/bertshowto/berts_how_tos_oilchange.htm

jlcrss
21st February 2006, 23:53
I KNOW AN EVEN EASIER WAY. PAY TO HAVE IT DONE. I did my own oil change last summer and it cost me the same as if I would of taken it to the dealer.

IamVince
22nd February 2006, 00:20
On my 88 the drain hose is under the batt.Dead ends.and easy to get at.

Gone
22nd February 2006, 00:21
here is that pic

Gone
22nd February 2006, 00:25
i tried to attach it, i see it did not work.

Dubfire
22nd February 2006, 00:31
Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the hose on an '86 Sporty terminate in a different place? On my '91 it was under the battery box. Is the '86 the same?

Gone
22nd February 2006, 00:47
Looks the same as the pics in the link from Bert. Blockheads ran from 1984 to 2003. 86 should be relativly the same.

that was a Great link

H@mbone!
22nd February 2006, 16:10
Thanks for the info guys I'll see if I can find that hose after work today. Should help me out next time I try to change the oil, wont have to fight it so much then. Thanks again.

H@mbone!
24th February 2006, 17:43
Got a light and got under the left side of my bike Wedsday night and found the hose connected to the frame under the battery and unhooked it and drained a couple oz's out to check for air. Will definitly be alot easier when I go to change the oil next time. Also got my billet chome points cover in and put on. So when I got all done went on about a 20min cruise. Anyways just wanted to get on here and let you all know I found the hose, and to thank everyone for there help.

AZbiker
10th March 2006, 11:04
I KNOW AN EVEN EASIER WAY. PAY TO HAVE IT DONE. I did my own oil change last summer and it cost me the same as if I would of taken it to the dealer.

Your dealer does full synthetic changes for $20?!? Wow. That's one heck of a dealer. Sweet.

jlcrss
10th March 2006, 14:11
It cost me 30 dollars to have the dealer do it. By the time I bought the chrome oil filter and oil it was about 25 dollars. I suppose I could by a Big Mac with the extra five dollars but it isn't worth my time.

TonyS
13th March 2006, 04:10
You could always buy a hand pump like one you use for a boat, stick the hose in the oil tank then pump

Tucson_Tim
13th March 2006, 04:28
You could always buy a hand pump like one you use for a boat, stick the hose in the oil tank then pump

This technique was discussed in some detail a few weeks ago - search and you will find....

Try this link: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=21776&highlight=suction

Tim