PDA

View Full Version : Damn belt @!#$%^&*^$#

indyrednek
22nd February 2006, 03:23
:censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor

Just needed to vent!
Bike is 3 days out of warranty and belt broke.:doh
HD Customer Service is closed and Service Manager where I take my bike is gone for the day:censor .
Will make calls in morning and hopefully get it paid for.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
:censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor

cantolina
22nd February 2006, 03:28
Any idea what lunched it??

I'm at 14,500 or so, and mine still looks new!

indyrednek
22nd February 2006, 04:19
Probably heat and hard riding.
AZ is bad on belts, hoses, etc

tim4hire
22nd February 2006, 04:36
Any idea what lunched it??

I'm at 14,500 or so, and mine still looks new!
The :censor warranty was up!:roflblack
sorry Indyrednek not laughin at you just feelin your pain

fixerdj
22nd February 2006, 14:40
Wow! I hate to hear it man. My belt is over 50k and doin fine. These belts are known for longevity, I would be lookin real hard for a cause.

cantolina
22nd February 2006, 14:43
Wow! I hate to hear it man. My belt is over 50k and doin fine. These belts are known for longevity, I would be lookin real hard for a cause.

I forgot he was in Arizona....

Besides heat, there is LOTS of flying dirt, gravel, etc...and that sheat sticks to stuff and builds up.....REAL fine dirt and sand ALWAYS flying around....

Its sorta understandable there....

I'd be interested in a REGIONAL or STATE thread/poll about belt breakage...

Just curious to see how much environmental factors might be to blame for belt breakage.....

doc
22nd February 2006, 14:53
Indy,
Don't feel bad. You have 22,000 miles on that belt. Mine broke at 12,000.

95xlcustom
22nd February 2006, 20:34
give em hell. i hope u got a good dealer because most will tell u to screw. the wont good wil it. good luck

Shu
22nd February 2006, 20:38
Pretty sure my dealer would back date the service tag. Just keep your cool, explain it to your Service Manager and maybe he'd do the same.

Sorry to hear it broke.

alexcue
22nd February 2006, 22:34
Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, but when the belt goes do you need to replace the sprockets also? Would they replace it under warranty?

tim4hire
23rd February 2006, 01:10
Um?Why?If either of your sprockets goes you got some major issues! carbon fiber belt V.S metal sprockets.a sprocket should last the lifetime of the bike if not another lifetime on another bike also.

alexcue
23rd February 2006, 01:50
Um?Why?If either of your sprockets goes you got some major issues! carbon fiber belt V.S metal sprockets.a sprocket should last the lifetime of the bike if not another lifetime on another bike also.

good point, must have mixed up my bikes' manuals. I thought i read somewhere that they recommend to change out the sprocket. Since my other bike uses a chain, that's the one I may have been thinking of (makes sense, metal to metal)

AZFlyingDiver
23rd February 2006, 02:42
:censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor

Just needed to vent!
Bike is 3 days out of warranty and belt broke.:doh
HD Customer Service is closed and Service Manager where I take my bike is gone for the day:censor .
Will make calls in morning and hopefully get it paid for.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
:censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor
That sucks, Mike. Let us know how it turns out... btw, was that you i threw a biker wave at a couple of days ago? (I was headin' south on Hardy Dr. in Tempe about 2pm...) - coulda swore it was you... Anyway, hopefully the MoCo will take care of you... :tour

95xlcustom
23rd February 2006, 02:42
u are right chain and sprockets should get changed togther

jimijams69
23rd February 2006, 02:54
first of all short temper, they are pullys when your talking belts, and they most certainly wear out over time, belt+dirt=grinder,,,,,,,,,belts suck!!!!!!!!

indyrednek
23rd February 2006, 04:09
Just replaced my belt.
Took my time and it was less than 1/2 hour.
Belt Replacement: $190.40
Words and thoughts: PRICELESS

Anyway my dealer said his hands were tied and recommended I write to HD Customer Service and see if I could get a reimbursement (full or partial) from them.
Being that I already have all my service work done at the dealer (pre-paid maintainence) and have a great history they may help.
I also work in an automotive dealership and know what buzz words to use to help with my cause.
Sorry Tony, it was not me. I work from 5am to 6pm and don't ride much at lunch.

tim4hire
23rd February 2006, 05:35
Indyrednek, glad to hear your back on the road :clap
I'm pullin for ya on the haggling with harley warranty peeps:gun

alexcue If my response came off negativly I do apologize didn't mean too. I never even thought about chain implications :doh thats all no disrespect.

Jimijams69 your so right about the grind I never thought about it. Do you how many miles I might expect before I have to replace my pullys front or rear because of it?

supercharger
23rd February 2006, 05:38
I think the MOCO put some belts on too tight.

If you had a debris breakage wouldn't you see some evidence on the pulley?

These things make me glad I bought the extended warranty. No worries for seven years. :D

opiewontaylor
23rd February 2006, 07:47
The belt is the only thing I don't like about my Sporty. Despite its advantages, if it snaps a hundred miles from a Harley dealer, you're screwed. I ordered a new one from Surdyke (love that name) $150 shipped, just in case. If I keep my bike more than another year, I'm gonna see if there's any good chain conversions out there.

jimijams69
23rd February 2006, 13:16
The belt is the only thing I don't like about my Sporty. Despite its advantages, if it snaps a hundred miles from a Harley dealer, you're screwed. I ordered a new one from Surdyke (love that name) $150 shipped, just in case. If I keep my bike more than another year, I'm gonna see if there's any good chain conversions out there.
i don't recomend so called "chain conversions for sportsters" they rip you off. you can piece one together for half the price.

indyrednek
23rd February 2006, 14:06
I think the MOCO put some belts on too tight.

If you had a debris breakage wouldn't you see some evidence on the pulley?

These things make me glad I bought the extended warranty. No worries for seven years. :D
I also have extended warranty. It does NOT cover the drive belt.
Belt is for 24 months/24000 miles.

MRK585
23rd February 2006, 14:22
I have a chain and my sprockets look tgreat and I know its been through 3 chains @ least and you are right about the chain conversions as well they are way over priced and if you peice it totgether then you can get the ration you want not what it just comes with

alexcue
23rd February 2006, 19:04
alexcue If my response came off negativly I do apologize didn't mean too. I never even thought about chain implications :doh thats all no disrespect.

ahh no worries, i come here to read and learn, don't expect everybody to read my mind, when i write cryptically. But I'll definitely keep an eye on that belt from now on. :)

prettyponyofdoom
24th February 2006, 03:36
chains rAwK!!!!!~

Shu
24th February 2006, 05:48
I put this in another belt thread a while ago, but I'll post it here too.

If you break your chain on the side of the road, you are just as equally stranded as if you broke a belt. Belts life expectancy is much greater than a chain. Belts maintain their tension better and provide for a much smoother and quieter operation. And are cleaner.

It would take a lot to make a belt pulley unusable. Even if you got a rock stuck in there, you could smooth the aluminum back off to remove any sharp edge really easily.

Belt tension for the first several thousand miles needs to be monitored and properly adjusted just like a chain as it wears in. A belt stops stretching and eventually goes for a long period without requiring any adjustment.

And if you are worried about a belt snapping, then here is a tip I heard from another rider many years ago.

Go to the local hardware store and buy some of the strongest tensile strength zip ties you can find. And then put a good quality drill bit large enough to drill holes that the zip ties will fit through. Put several zip ties and the bit in your bag or whereever on the bike (heck zip tie them to the bottom of the frame). If your belt snaps, use the drill bit and drill several holes in each end of the broken belt and then use the zip ties to pull the belt back together (obviously while it is on the pulleys). About three zip ties side by side across the belt should do. Then ride very carefully home or to wherever you want to buy a new belt. Be careful not to put a lot of power on it, ease it thorugh the gears and just take your time.

Shu
24th February 2006, 05:48

If you break your chain on the side of the road, you are just as equally stranded as if you broke a belt. Belts life expectancy is much greater than a chain. Belts maintain their tension better and provide for a much smoother and quieter operation. And are cleaner.

It would take a lot to make a belt pulley unusable. Even if you got a rock stuck in there, you could smooth the aluminum back off to remove any sharp edge really easily.

Belt tension for the first several thousand miles needs to be monitored and properly adjusted just like a chain as it wears in. A belt stops stretching and eventually goes for a long period without requiring any adjustment.

And if you are worried about a belt snapping, then here is a tip I heard from another rider many years ago.

Go to the local hardware store and buy some of the strongest tensile strength zip ties you can find. And then put a good quality drill bit large enough to drill holes that the zip ties will fit through. Put several zip ties and the bit in your bag or whereever on the bike (heck zip tie them to the bottom of the frame). If your belt snaps, use the drill bit and drill several holes in each end of the broken belt and then use the zip ties to pull the belt back together (obviously while it is on the pulleys). About three zip ties side by side across the belt should do. Then ride very carefully home or to wherever you want to buy a new belt. Be careful not to put a lot of power on it, ease it thorugh the gears and just take your time.

tim4hire
24th February 2006, 07:34
Shu! That tip is awsome! :clap :clap :clap

we need a sticky only great tips and how too section with no comments allowed. Editted by Mods only of course:shhhh

opiewontaylor
24th February 2006, 09:46

If you break your chain on the side of the road, you are just as equally stranded
No, you're not. Having done roadside repair on chain driven bikes, using my Motion Pro chainbreaker and a master link, I will have to disagree. Not to mention that a master link is a permanent fix, and infinitely superior to a zip tie.

Fackler Rebel
24th February 2006, 13:48
Hey y'all:

My two cents. Rode Jap bikes all my life, everywhere from a 65CC 67 Honda to a KZ900, that would honk! FINALLY GOT ME A HARLEY, don't want to hear any of that sissy bike crap either. Dealer didn't tighten battery bolts at the 7,500 mile or 10,000 mile service. 3 days after the 10,000 service, on the way to work, positive bolt finally vibrated free, fell out, bounced off starter motor and got sucked into drive belt at 40 miles per hour. Long drawn out discussion with the local HD people here and are they full of ssshEPPT! Plus, since I got mine from a dealer in Ames, no introductory time at the dealership, I asked those bandits in HoT Springs if the belt was too tight. Anyway, all I here is if taken care of, and you don't have a battery bolt problem, that belt should go at least 50,000.

Ride To Live and Live to Ride

Reb

Shu
24th February 2006, 15:41
No, you're not. Having done roadside repair on chain driven bikes, using my Motion Pro chainbreaker and a master link, I will have to disagree. Not to mention that a master link is a permanent fix, and infinitely superior to a zip tie.

My point was that if you do not have any repair equipment with you. Also to point out that while most are aware they can buy a roadside repair kit for a chain drive, they are typically not aware of how easy and inexpensive it is to carry something to fix (temporarily) a belt drive.