PDA

View Full Version : Gel batteries...

svebbe
23rd February 2006, 20:12
does anyone have any experiance about changing the standard battery to a gel one? I suppose the gel battery would be more resistant against vibrations...or am i wrong? Anyway the price (here anyway is the same), so im wondering about if i should change the old one out. My old battery is weak in condition.

Moker
23rd February 2006, 20:14
that.....

is a good question.
:bump

xl1200r
23rd February 2006, 20:26
I would say that if the price is the same, then go for the Gel battery, though I don't know much about them to know any cons.

I think the pro is not so much for vibrations but leaning as well.

svebbe
23rd February 2006, 20:28
I´ve heard warnings about changing out the standard battery because the aftermarket´s will not take the vibrations from your harley....sounds bogus i know...but gel battery is more resistant i think and can recover better from a deep recharge.....

xl1200r
23rd February 2006, 20:31
The harley battery is nothing special I don't think.

Just like you can't use aftermarket oil in your engine because it can't take that either.

Why buy an aftermarket battery for $60, when HD can buy the same thing wholesale for $35 and mark it up to $70?

doc
23rd February 2006, 20:35
Svebbe,
Check out this link.
Battery Stuff (http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html#3)
It talks about the differences between the different types of batteries.

svebbe
23rd February 2006, 20:47
thanks for the information about the batteries Doc. :)

indyrednek
23rd February 2006, 21:10
Gel batteries do hold up better in heat, cold, vibrations, etc.
They can be slow charged just like a acid filled battery.
If they are the same price go for it.
Most gel batteries have a better warranty/pro-rate.

skratch
23rd February 2006, 21:28
you do know that the hd battery is not a typical wet cell battery? it is an agm battery. see doc's post above for a link and explanation. but, let me point out this little scenario, guy down the street buys an old(er) sporty, 2000 i think, needs a battery, so he goes to walmart and spends 69 bucks on a wet cell battery. or he could have gone to the hd dealer and paid 80 bucks for the agm oem battery. for my money, i would have gone to the dealer, but to each his own.

crospo
24th February 2006, 05:08
gel batteries are more rugged and less prone to leakage except they are more fragile when it comes to overcharging.

BobboJama
5th March 2006, 06:12
you do know that the hd battery is not a typical wet cell battery? it is an agm battery. see doc's post above for a link and explanation. but, let me point out this little scenario, guy down the street buys an old(er) sporty, 2000 i think, needs a battery, so he goes to walmart and spends 69 bucks on a wet cell battery. or he could have gone to the hd dealer and paid 80 bucks for the agm oem battery. for my money, i would have gone to the dealer, but to each his own.

I went down to my local INDY and bought a Genuine H-D battery (in a sealed box) for $40.00... Half the Stealership price for the same stuff??

hoosier xlc
5th March 2006, 16:39
I replaced my stock battery with an Interstate battery, before doing so I looked at gel battery's. The one thing that caught my attention was first and foremost the warranty. The more expensive gel battery carried the same warranty as the inexpensive Interstate battery. I have never had any complaints about any Interstate battery I have ever owned. Just a quick food for thought.