PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have a tire blow out?

mikeabe
24th February 2006, 12:57
Replacement must come soon for my tires. Blowing out crosses my mind. They're not that bad yet, but it started me thinking. Say a puncture causing a flat tire before you were able to stop. Or an actual blow out. Have you ridden to safety with a flat tire? Front or rear?

Seems like my brother had to control his Triumph after a front tire let go. But that happened years ago and I might have the story wrong.

I'm going to start shopping around for tires.

Thanks

Desertfox
24th February 2006, 13:21
If you think you need tires, you need them. I had a blow out on the rear tire of my old 750 Honda years ago. Luckily it was at a relatively low speed. Ran over a rusty piece of tailpipe at about 40 mph or so. Felt the rear end start to fish tail and lo and behold a huge slash in the sidewall. You DON'T want a tire to fail at speed out in the middle of no where. I just put on a new Metzler on the rear of mine because the tread was getting thin.

indyrednek
24th February 2006, 13:23
I have had blow outs before.
If you feel it is time to get tires, don't hesitate.
GET THEM!

Preacher
24th February 2006, 13:29
I have had a grand total of one. I was doing about 60 on an arrow-straight peice of road... rear end got a little fishy but never out of control... I was just glad I wasn't in a curve or something.

dooley
24th February 2006, 22:45
One time,the front went on a Kawasaki KLR 250 Dualsport at 60 mph.
Started headshaking somthing awful,I held on and rode it out.
Had to check my pants though:eek:
Pushing it five miles with a flat tire was not fun either,even at half the weight of a Sporty.

ctd
1st March 2006, 03:00
Years ago I had a rear go at 65mph. Like it was mentioned, it was squirrely but manageable. I was in a straight line, a curve may have ended differently. Tires are cheap insurance, if you suspect you need new ones, then you probably do.