PDA

View Full Version : I met the ground today...

twostepct
31st May 2008, 04:37
I went down for the first time today, and I didn't like it. I was on my Softail, not my Sporty. I'm not sure what the hell happened, but I was riding with a buddy and we were turning left at an intersection. We had stopped waiting for traffic, so I know we weren't going fast at all. Anyway, I leaned and the rear end came out from under me. I landed smooth on my shoulder and bumped my head on the ground. My buddy saw it and said as soon as I hit the ground, I came up and ended up on the other side of the bike standing up! I will have to add new bars, grips, left lever and left switch housing and a chrome cover on the tranny but that's it. I think all in all I came out very good. Just thought I'd share.

Gone
31st May 2008, 04:46
Sounds like you may have picked up some oil off the road. I'm glad you're OK!

jrossty
31st May 2008, 04:51
Dang... glad to hear you're ok. some don't fare as well... even at slow speeds, especially without helmets.'

This is why I like my mid-controls... easier to put my feet straight down in an emergency such as this.... again though, glad to hear you're ok...

Takingabreak
31st May 2008, 04:52
Manhole cover?
Coolant?
Painted road?
Road snake?

I have to be careful with my 96cid, it has so much torque, it can kick the tire out from under you. (Tire spin)

Weo
31st May 2008, 05:07
Glad to hear you're OK. :)

twostepct
31st May 2008, 05:31
Thanks guys, I don't know what the hell happened. My friend said he didn't see anything in the road, but that doesn't mean anything. It was pretty hot here so I wonder if the asphalt was "sweating"?? I'm gonna be sore for awhile but I'm good and the 'tail will rise again! Some have asked if I was nervous to ride again, and I told them "Hell no!". But, I kept it a secret that I really didn't have any other choice other than to ride home! :laugh

ReddTigger
31st May 2008, 07:53
Glad that you're ok,.

Bikes are easy to fix.......

Peoples aren't

07883low
31st May 2008, 08:04
good to hear you are ok, were you wearing gear. i wasnt when i went down and learned a real good lesson. the next day me and my brother both went out and got jackets with armor.

Gogsyboy
31st May 2008, 08:15
Glad to hear your OK,
You done the right thing and got back on that sucker and rode,
it still makes you feel a bit silly,but hey !!! we're all still learnin'.
Good luck with the repairs.

rwise
31st May 2008, 11:32
glad you are ok, and your bike is not badly hurt!
I road one to the hospital some years ago, had to call Dad to come get me and the bike!
Ride safe.

sporty01
31st May 2008, 12:58
glad your o.k. stay safe and get her fixed by up.

biknut
31st May 2008, 13:47
How was the trip?

twiztidtorinokid
31st May 2008, 13:58
Good to hear your alright, good luck

The roads on the military base i work on are like that, slick as ice and thats when they are dry its like they have no way of giving traction. If its raining you better just stay away and not get caught on them cause you will be all over the place.

twostepct
31st May 2008, 22:35
No, I wasn't wearing any gear. I consider myself pretty lucky actually. I just looked at the bike again, and the outer primary itself is scratched as is the inspection cover. I can get another gray one, but I may black it out. I put drag bars on it about 4 months ago but I think I'm going to go with apes this time. I may be supersticious but I think after you go down, you've got to change things around. This is my first time, anyone experienced that feeling?

jrossty
31st May 2008, 22:42
No, I wasn't wearing any gear. I consider myself pretty lucky actually. I just looked at the bike again, and the outer primary itself is scratched as is the inspection cover. I can get another gray one, but I may black it out. I put drag bars on it about 4 months ago but I think I'm going to go with apes this time. I may be supersticious but I think after you go down, you've got to change things around. This is my first time, anyone experienced that feeling?

I went down, (actually over the handlebars), last fall... & actually had to change some things since they were broke and needed replaced... I went with cheap over anything else, & actually am glad I did. :shhhh :D

Go ahead and change it up some, that way you'll know what you really like the best anyway.

Ron9
31st May 2008, 23:42
Well now ..... Mr. 50 years on bikes (me) .... after NEVER dropping a street bike EVER ... until ...

Two years ago - I had a tall 120 pound female on the back. I was almost stopped and turning in a drive way and she ........ started to GET OFF. Boom my bike went over on the right side. My boot stopped it from hitting the ground.

THEN just today .....

I started to get off the bike and (Mr. 50 years on bikes) failed to get the stand out far enough and WHAM ...... it went down on the left side - my other boot stopped it from hitting the ground very hard.

SO ..........

Mr. 50 years on bikes has now dropped his pride and joy on BOTH SIDES.

Damage?

A little burr on the front brake lever - two years ago.

A little burr on the clutch lever - today.

I will now hang my head in shame as I thank my BOOTS for stopping any damage.

dagsportster
1st June 2008, 00:22
I hate to hear these things, but glad you're OK, for sure. No gear as is no helmet too? I hope you didn't hit your skull on the pavement! Stay safe, man!

AV8TR
1st June 2008, 01:05
Glad you're OK, I did the same sort of thing last month (landscape gravel).

Yeah, you might as well use it as an excuse to do some things for your bike!

chris horne
1st June 2008, 08:11
Glad you are ok, i had the same happen to me last year when i was up in Scotland had the wife on the back as well.
Luckly i was going slow so not to much damage broken front brake lever and scrapes on my brand new 2 into 1 exhaust:doh.but at least me and the wife were ok.

bplinson
1st June 2008, 09:08
I sure am glad you are okay. I have dropped all me my bikes at least once.

Sporty - About a week after I got it practicing 9 meter radius turns

Honda Shadow - Pulling off the road and slipping on gravel

Road-Glide - To avoid a car I was passing which made a u-turn without blinkers.

All were slow speed drops and no real damage to me or the bikes.

nightsterman
1st June 2008, 09:42
Glad you're ok. I met a deer recently and I didn't like it either.:doh

Later,
Mark

linkin5
2nd June 2008, 03:16
I was stopped for a light the other day on an interstate type slab. As I tried to take off with the green light the bike felt as if it was on ice, it wouldn't move I had to push it forward as somthing very slipery was on the back tire. it spun for 1/8 of a mile before it all slung off. I don't know what exactally it was, but if I was turning I easily could have dumped without warning.

ParrotHead
2nd June 2008, 03:18
Ouch! Glad to hear you are ok.

jimmyess333
2nd June 2008, 05:14
There are only 2 kinds of riders in this world, those who have gone down and those who are going down. Glad to hear yours turned out pretty ok.

Likemlouder
3rd June 2008, 03:33
dropped my brand new wide glide coming home from the dealer in 03. pulled into my yard on some grass touched the front brake while turning down i went. embarresed but ok it happens to all of us. glad you are ok

shameless
3rd June 2008, 04:06
There are only 2 kinds of riders in this world, those who have gone down and those who are going down. Glad to hear yours turned out pretty ok.

I don't believe that.

Sorry for the ST but at least you could get up and ride off. Did your head bouncing off of the road give you second thoughts about a helmet? I'm not going to try to sway you either way, I'm just curious. Helmets are mandatory here and because of that everyone that I talk to that has been down isn't exactly the person to pose that question to.