PDA

View Full Version : SE Ignition Module

eagle101
2nd February 2005, 04:01
I'm thinking of adding the SE ignition module to my 04 1200 Custom.

Has anyone done this modification?

What outcomes have you experienced?

:sporty:

billib
3rd February 2005, 02:31
Hello Eagle. I have done the SE ignition mod, but I also have SE cams. The ingnition was installed prior to the cam change and there is not much difference. Did "seem" to start a little easier. Some folks are selling on ebay pretty cheap, guess they couldn't get the "initialization" thing down. Just make sure its the right part number. Somebody posted the procedure elsewhere on this site. Worked well.

eagle101
4th February 2005, 06:25
Hello Eagle. I have done the SE ignition mod, but I also have SE cams. The ingnition was installed prior to the cam change and there is not much difference. Did "seem" to start a little easier. Some folks are selling on ebay pretty cheap, guess they couldn't get the "initialization" thing down. Just make sure its the right part number. Somebody posted the procedure elsewhere on this site. Worked well.

Thanks! I'm thinking of doing the whole package...Cams, Carb, Module, then maybe dropping the gearing down a notch.

Anyone else???

sportymark
4th February 2005, 14:45
I did the SE cams, carb, ignition on my 04 Roadster and it makes a big difference.

The trouble is it highlights the average handling of the bike when you go after Buell type power outputs.

If it shows up the handling of a Roadster be carfull on a Custom (wire wheel ,single disc etc).

billib
5th February 2005, 02:43
evryone i've talked to (including dealers, believe it or not) say to save your money on the carb. The stock CV, properly set up is good to 100HP! I've sent mine out to be reworked, a lot cheaper than the mikuni set up.

Turbota
5th February 2005, 03:24
Well, if you have done internal mods such as a cam change you more than likely brought the power curve up higher. Instead of making max power at lets say 5,700 rpm, you now may make max power at 6,400 rpm. Well, the stock rev limiter in a 04 1200 is 5,800. The only way you will be able to rev the motor high enough to take advantage of the new cams is to set the rev limiter higher ... Unforfunatly, you can't do that with the stock ignition module. You need to get the SE module with the 7,000 rev limit. Of course, you will also still want to still shift at around 6,400 if that is where the motor makes it's max HP.

The SE module I have has the 7,000 rev limiter and the exact timing curve as the stock module, [but] it reduces timing 5 degrees at wide open throttle (WOT). That does help stop detonation in engines with higher than stock compression and running everyday pump gas .... So, the SE module was good for me since I have the .551 SE cams, head work and 10.5 :1 compression ratio domed pistons.

In an engine with stock cams, all you need is the stock 5,800 rev limiter ... No advantage using the SE ignition module ... You just don't need to rev the engine higher than 5,800 rpm.

Make sense?
Ron,

Gone
5th February 2005, 03:26
The initialization procedure can be found here:

http://www.harley-performance.com/password-learn.html

I tried the posted method without success over and over until my battery died. For me at least, the correct procedure began with a reset sequence involving the ignition switch and the left turn signal (described in detail in the link). Then it worked like a charm...

As for performance enhancement, I installed the SE Hi-Flo Air Filter at the same time so although I did get a very noticeable boost in performance I cannot credit the module. Haven't had a chance to open her up and test the upper range yet...

Good luck!

billib
5th February 2005, 04:21
i did mine ok, but my wife and kid had to help me, lOL

barry1967
5th February 2005, 04:38
For a little more....ok a lot more you can get a twin tech module that is fully adjustable for rpm, advance and standard timing. I have one and like it a lot.

Rondall
5th February 2005, 22:25
For those of you looking at doing this mod, be advised the current module is being updated and will become obsolete. Have the dealer order you part #31759-04A for the 1200 module. That number didn't even make it into the 2005 SE catalog.

eagle101
6th February 2005, 07:14
For those of you looking at doing this mod, be advised the current module is being updated and will become obsolete. Have the dealer order you part #31759-04A for the 1200 module. That number didn't even make it into the 2005 SE catalog.

Thanks for all the info gang!

Rondall, do you know what the changes are from the old module?

Rondall
7th February 2005, 04:51
Thanks for all the info gang!

Rondall, do you know what the changes are from the old module?

Sorry, I don't. Could be some minor programming tweaks. Like going from a 2.0 to a 2.1.

knucklexyz
21st February 2006, 03:47
Sorry, I don't. Could be some minor programming tweaks. Like going from a 2.0 to a 2.1.

I think that maybe there are 2 modules available for the '04 and up 1200 now. I have a 31785-04A that is dated 01/23/06.

Texas Roadster
21st February 2006, 13:14
evryone i've talked to (including dealers, believe it or not) say to save your money on the carb. The stock CV, properly set up is good to 100HP! I've sent mine out to be reworked, a lot cheaper than the mikuni set up.
this is fact, I am using a cv still