PDA

View Full Version : Army Vets - Do you know where your records are at?

bplinson
1st March 2006, 09:38
Yesterday I called St. Louis to get a copy of my retirement orders because I could not find them in my files at home. I need them because I may be taking a GS position soon and without them I would have been out of over $40,000 LQA.

I retired in 1998 and when you retire or ETS your records are suppose to be sent electronically from ERECS (if you were enlisted) to St. Louis.

When I called St. Louis they asked me for my SSN which I gave them. The lady punched it into her computer and then said that she could not find them...they did not have my records. WTF!!!!

The lady said that this happens quite often and that she would request a retransmission from ERECS and they should have them within one or two months!!!

I contacted ERECS and to see what happened and if they could get me a copy of the orders. They said that once they transmit them to St. Louis thay are put on a pallet and the pallet is sealed. They also have a policy that they will not open a pallet for an individual. So I would have to wait for the records to be retransmitted to St. Louis.

Well to make a long story short I went through my files yesterday evening and luckily found the orders I needed.

I am writing this to let everyone who is an Army vet that it is in your best interest to contact St. Louis to insure that thay actually have your records.

You can call them at: 1-800-318-5298 . Just ask them to verify that they have your records.

Sandman
1st March 2006, 10:16
Thanks Bert...it's been awhile since I have looked at my military records, I'd better see if I can lay my hands on them and make sure they are complete. That's one of those things that you hardly ever think about, but when you need 'em and can't access the info.....it's a real eye opener.

DustyJacket
1st March 2006, 10:52
I have a complete copy of mine. When I left, they sent my a few microfiche "cards". Got the whole sordid package.

xl883c03
1st March 2006, 11:07
It's funny you should bring this up I just asked my wife over the weekend
where my discharge papers were (she the one who does the organizing @ home)
and I went home for work last night and there the we she knew where they we.
I had mine record at our county court house at the registra of deeds they will
copy the and put them on record if you ever need a copy. My father in-law had
me do that as soon as I returned home.Just a little info

punkmxcn
1st March 2006, 11:41
i'm not sure how far back the records go but online you can access records, every single one from the day you enlisted on iperms. not sure of the exact website but if you google it you'll find it. i downloaded every single record i had from there. from signing bonuses to ets to discharge forms and dd214s.

Fork
1st March 2006, 12:14
I would be interested in finding that website. Does anyone know what should be put into the Google Search?

Thanks!!! :) :) :) :)

bplinson
1st March 2006, 12:46
I had mine record at our county court house at the registra of deeds they will copy the and put them on record if you ever need a copy. My father in-law had me do that as soon as I returned home.Just a little info

I do not know if its true but I have always been told that this is not a good thing to do because when you file them with the courthouse they become public record and then any one can get a copy of them and become you!

I keep my DD 214 in a fireproof safe.

Gone
11th August 2006, 13:38
Fork,

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/standard-form-180.html
for records.

Regards,

Fork
2nd November 2006, 22:40
Fork,

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/standard-form-180.html
for records.

Regards,
I am sorry to be late with my reply on this. I lost track of the thread.

Thanks for posting the link!!!

gunslinger
3rd November 2006, 10:38
I am still active Duty but many Air Force bases brief this entire process during outprocessing. They encourage people to request something from their records around 4-6 months after they get out. That way they know if there stuff has been sent to St. Louis.

cootertwo
3rd November 2006, 11:38
I've found that link before, but I don't see any way you can get your records, other than mailing a request. Am I over looking something?

Fork
3rd November 2006, 18:34
I found a link that I could request my DD214 online. But the second part was I had to fax a authorization to them to start the search. I faxed that this morning and I got an email confirmation that they received the fax. Their reply was that they would try to get to my request within 25 weeks.

:banadanc :smoke :frownthre

82ndJumper
4th November 2006, 02:06
I will be right on that one. Its a good thing you found your paperwork. Now make more copies.

cafe_dave
9th May 2008, 03:53
When I was on Recruiting we would drive to St Louis, but we were close (KC). you might try to get with a USAR Recruiter...some of those guys have good contacts

jharback
9th May 2008, 07:12
i'm not sure how far back the records go but online you can access records, every single one from the day you enlisted on iperms. not sure of the exact website but if you google it you'll find it. i downloaded every single record i had from there. from signing bonuses to ets to discharge forms and dd214s.

Here's the site but, I believe you must be ACTIVE duty to access it.

https://iperms.army.mil/rms/

u8mymeat
9th May 2008, 09:09
I still have a couple certified copies of my DD214.

rakkasanman
31st May 2008, 19:48
I have a big purple binder that I keep EVERYTHING in that I ever did in the army. Especially after I became a NCO on every PCS I would open the folder that had my personnel records in and make sure that there wasn't anything in there that I didn't have a copy of I would pull it out and make a copy. I also have a backup copy that I scanned into my computer and then burned to a CD.

jharback
31st May 2008, 22:01
One other thing all retiree's should do before processing out is make a complete copy of their Health Records. When you retire the Health Records are supposed to be shipped to the nearest VA Hospital or Military Base of your retirement address. However, the VA is infamous for misplacing records. If later in life you have a medical problem which can be related to something you had on active duty this can be extremely important in obaining disability.

It can also come in extremely helpful if you happen to die of a related medical cause (i.e. you have high blood pressure while on active duty and die of a heart attack) for your wife and, or, children. If you didn't sign up for the insurance to continue your retirement for your spouse after your death, this related medical incident can allow her to continue receiving your retirement. If there's no documentation found, proving your active duty related medical problems, your wife and children are screwed.

Also make sure your wife knows to notify the nearest military installation in case of your death. The military will assign an appropriately ranked individual to assist your wife in any and all matters.

MarineSportster
20th March 2009, 23:00
Recording you discharge with the county recorder is still the best method of insuring that they are always availabe. Here in CA your DD214 if recorded is only available to you and law enforcment when needed or next of kin should the need arise. I cannot tell you how many Veterans miss out on employment oppertunities because they have to wait for a registered copy from St. Louis

TnCobra
16th November 2010, 19:31
Contact your local senators office and have them send a request on letterhead.

I needed my medical records for civilian surgery because I wasn't letting the Army docs cut me up anymore. I had tried just a few short months after ETS to get the records, fail.

So after six months of nothing I went to the senators office. One week after, all my records were UPS'd and sitting on my doorstep. And I didn't even vote for that tool.

garandman
29th April 2011, 03:57
I would be interested in finding that website. Does anyone know what should be put into the Google Search?

Thanks!!! :) :) :) :)http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

I made a bunch of copies of my DD214 a while back.