PDA

View Full Version : Custom Wheels

Henry89
4th March 2006, 19:33
I'm thinking of getting some custom wheels for my 99 XL1200C and had some questions. First of all these things aren't cheap! I'm looking at some Weld Racing wheels and for the front and back and I'm looking at about $1600 for the wheels with a chrome finish. Is it even worth getting the rear wheel since you can barely see it? I currently have the 16" factory solid rear wheel and the 21" laced wheel in the front. How do you think it would look if I just went with a front custom wheel and kept the stock one on the rear? Just looking for some opinions and feedback. Thanks!

johnnybgood
5th March 2006, 16:13
Henry, I think they look ok with the custom wheel just on the front. My bike is set up that way right now, though I am in the process of replacing my rear wheel with one that matches the front. Like you say, it's a lot of money and I'm a little concerned that it won't be much bang for the buck, though it's too late for me to be worrying about that. I have the HD slotted six spoke wheels, bit the bullet and also purchased a new chrome rear pulley/sprocket because I couldn't stand the thought of seeing black back of stock sprocket through wheel (that's one nice thing about the solid wheel). Also, new set-up weighs about 5 pounds less than original (45 lbs. vs. 50 lbs.) which has to be a good thing, though I don't/won't know if it's enough unsprung weight difference to be noticable. Just my 2 cents. Good luck in whatever you decide.

MidWest XL
5th March 2006, 17:24
Henry

I think it would look just fine. Lots of Sporty owners have gotten different front wheels.
I'm looking to get a 16" laced rear wheel to match the front laced wheel.

xllent01
5th March 2006, 19:22
It's just depends on your wants and needs, the weld wheels are very nice, along with http://www.rccomponents.com wheels that are avaliable in forged or billet, chrome or polished too. If your going to spend the money to get the rear wheel think about going to a 18" rear wheel also, alot more tire choices than the 16" wheel, and the unsprung weight savings is a hellva lot better than the 16" stock.

Henry89
6th March 2006, 00:07
xllent01....Will a 18" wheel fit on the rear of my 99 XL1200C? If so what size tire would I need so that I wouldn't have any clearance problems?

Biker_unknown
6th March 2006, 17:25
Henry,
You can run a 18x3.5 in the rear as long as you change your tire size to a lower profile. I don't know what the right size would be. I have just read a few post of people running a 18x3.5 on the rear of XL's that is my only input.

rottenralph
6th March 2006, 17:45
Mine are on both ends because I did not like the look with a rear solid on my bike. To each there own. Customization beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What looks good to you is all that matters.

Randum77
6th March 2006, 18:16
Henry, i've got some custom billet wheels on the front and rear of the bike. I would say save yourself the cash and don't get the back wheel. They are a pain in the ass to clean, plus no one ever notices it back there. All I hear is "nice front wheel." lol, Just a suggestion. :)

CSPCRX
6th March 2006, 23:23
It's just depends on your wants and needs, the weld wheels are very nice, along with http://www.rccomponents.com wheels that are avaliable in forged or billet, chrome or polished too. If your going to spend the money to get the rear wheel think about going to a 18" rear wheel also, alot more tire choices than the 16" wheel, and the unsprung weight savings is a hellva lot better than the 16" stock.

Boy I sure do like those OUTLAWS. To bad their site doesnt have a sporty. You can use a dyna and get an idea though. Thanks now I found something else I want. I blame it all on you.

mikeLI_77
6th March 2006, 23:39
There are pleanty of people who keep the solid rear rim with a custom front rim. I have that setup myself and think it looks good. I am on my second custom front rim now (first was the harley slotted six spoke rim and the new one is the pro one sinister series 2 rim with the tribal inserts) and still like it with the solid rear. although I did customize my rear a little bit by painting the center textured part of it the color of my bike and keeping the outside chrome part the way it was. The rear rim is hard to clean plus with the rear pulley on one side and the rotor on the other side it is for the most part hidden and hard to see anyway.