PDA

View Full Version : ebay saddlebags

Delzore
7th March 2006, 13:55
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-MOTORCYCLE-LEATHER-SADDLEBAG-TRAVEL-TOOL-SADDLE-BAG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35557QQitemZ4618137 362QQrdZ1

Just curious if anyone has tried these bags before or not. It says you just slide them under the seat and they will hang down over the shocks. Emailed the guy and they said you don't need the mounting hardware..

Anway, just looking for some thoughts

MidWest XL
7th March 2006, 13:59
I haven't tried these, but they look great. So great, in fact, that it's almost one of those "too good to be true" deals. Most throwovers that I'm aware of do require some sort of mounting hardware so they do not blow around when flying down the highway.

bearsfan
7th March 2006, 14:30
I bought a set of throw-overs from Jafrum - They are made of what appears to be rawhide - very cardboard like texture. They've held up quite well so far - rivets rust a little due to some rain dousings. Only beef I had is the tie down straps they provided are very weak and ripped apart rather easy. This may have been partially my fault as I tied them to the shocks since I didn't have saddlebag supports.
I figure for the low price - even if they only last a season or two, it's a pretty good deal.

lagerdrinker
7th March 2006, 14:35
for that price can you really go wrong? thats dirt cheap.

Randum77
7th March 2006, 14:41
I would say the following. 1. Don't be suprised if they are crappy cardboard leather bags. 2. expect it all to rust up. 3. If you don't have saddle bag supports, they'll get pretty torn up. 4. I scored some nice throw over from the leather shop up the road for about 20 bucks more.

Bassically, if your wanting nice stuff, don't get it. If you could care less, what the heck. lol Just like BabyHead BearsFan said,"I figure for the low price - even if they only last a season or two, it's a pretty good deal." lol

MidWest XL
7th March 2006, 15:01
for that price can you really go wrong? thats dirt cheap.
I'd say - yes!

See Randum's post, above. It's like throwing $58.90 away.

KY23
7th March 2006, 15:08
Has anyone tried the throw overs made by Saddlemen? They are only $80.

lagerdrinker
7th March 2006, 15:09
i dont have saddlebags and really dont like them...doesnt go with my bikes looks. but if i was gonna use occasionally or even just for a long ride to somewhere i wouldnt get anything to expensive. its just a place to store crap. ide rather put money into making bike better.
might be throwing money away but if you dont tour year round who cares. its still leather and all leather looks like crapp after bad weather conditions.

trollingforwalleye
7th March 2006, 15:14
I'll try them. For that price their disposible!!

lagerdrinker
7th March 2006, 15:18
I'll try them. For that price their disposible!!

i spend more taking my girl out one night to dinner.

trollingforwalleye
7th March 2006, 17:02
I ordered them. We'll see. I can post what they are when I get them. I don't expect much so it's hard to be disappointed. I pick up my bike on Friday. Spent all I can for now. Never even sat on it yet.

flskevin
7th March 2006, 17:41
I just bought a sissy bar bag from jafrum and it was made out of heavy leather very well made and seems to be great quality. The price was good and the shipping was fast.

$43.00 it seems worth a try, at least if you don't like them you won't be out hundreds/

Grizzly
7th March 2006, 17:46
I bought the non studded ones. Worked fine on a trip to Laughlin. I dont like saddle bags, so only use them when I have to. Therefore, spending 100's of dollars on them was silly. The concho on the strap was a bit "tinny", but it is good thick leather. Did the job, and are sitting in the garage for the next time I have to use them.

JicJac
7th March 2006, 18:43
I see they're from Jafrum.

Their stuff "looks" good.

I bought a fork tool bag from these jokers. It's like stiff cardboard with black shoe polish covering the exterior only. Leather.... NOT. Your experience may differ.

Anyway, here's a response I wrote to another similiar inquiry....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I've bought from these birds. Their facility is in Charlotte, NC, just up the road. They got some decent stuff, and a lot of crap. Their business practices are questionable, and I've had some beefs with them. They’re definatley not a “biker friendly” establishment; they’re an international importer of bulk goods with a warehouse and minimum wage web jockeys.

If you buy something like a pair of fingerless gloves, and the cost is (don’t quote me) let’s say $5, and the shipping is $4 (again, don’t quote me), the charge is $9 even if you pick it up from their store. In other words, they sell goods at a small profit and kill you on the shipping. BTW, their fingerless gloves (for example) are shoddy, their leather bags (tool, saddle, etc.) are like genuine imitation cardboard dyed black.

My wife ordered twenty or thirty dollars worth the odds and ends from them on eBay. Before the sale, she called and the Jafrum ppl said we could pick up the items without paying the shipping cost. After an hour on the road in heavy traffic, we were asked “Well who did you talk to” followed by a “tuff luck pal” attitude. The story gets ugly, so I won’t go into details.

As far as jackets are concerned, it’s risky to buy (because of fit) jackets over the net. I like my jacket, it fits great. I bought it at a local pawn shop.

Just one man's opinion.... JJ
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Again, these are NOT biker ppl. Not by a long shot. They are "international" mass-merchants. Do business with whomever you wish, but I wouldn't wish doing business with these turkeys on my worst enemy.... well, maybe.

I'd be more than happy to take a digital photo of my slightly used tool bag from Jafrum and post it here if you'd like.

Note: Jafrum is : Leather India ie. http://www.leatherindia.com

REF: 9. Welcome To Jafrum --- Category > Asia
To Buy Any Of These Products Or To View More Products Please Click Here : Www.Leatherny.Com All Rights Reserved. Www.Racerleather.Com Www.Jafrum.Com Www.Leatherindia.Com Www.Leatherus.Com Www.Indialeather.Com Www.Leatherindia.Net Www...
http://www.leatherexporters.com

I ain't got nothing against imports. My other motorcycle is a Yamaha XV750. I got lots of goods made in many countries. It's just that Jafrum ain't biker friendly, ain't in tune with bikers (except for knowing what merchandise to dump on em') and are basically the Walmart of biker stuff. Again, just my opinion - and I'm sticking to it!

JJ

None_Better
9th March 2006, 14:20
I have some of those bags collecting dust in my garage, they will do in a pinch but the straps and buckels are cheaply made and if it rains all your gear will get wet because the top cover just folds over and buckels the lid doesnt cover the hole top of the bags, I have some fake leather ones now made by river roads and the have the box top cover and I love em nothing gets wet at all and they hold a twelve pack perfect. I got them at coleman power sports for about 110, I'd say if you need some NOW! than go for it, but if you can afford in the 150 range check out willie&max or travelcades

just my 2 cents

none_better
greg