PDA

View Full Version : stupid mistake...

wickedsprint
19th November 2004, 04:06
we all make bonehead moves...here was mine today. I had the carb apart and was looking for the brass plug to access the idle screw...thought I saw it on the side (other bike carb has an adjustment on the side) so I was figuring this was it. I drille ditout...no dice..just a hole that leads somewhere in the carb. Found another brass plug that fits very tightly, but is not as robust as the factory one. The harley dealer was clueless since it does not come up on the parts list...it is roughly 9mm in diameter. Any idea where I can source a spare in case this one gets blown out? It is the brass plug that is facing the back of the bike when the carb is installed. Ended up drilling out the correct one on the bottom.

stevo
19th November 2004, 04:54
G'day sounds like ya stuffed ya carb. :yikes

WHat I think you've drilled out is one of the passage blocks.....in order to get the fuel passages in the carby they are often drilled from the outside and then blocked off.

You may have to machine a new plug up

wickedsprint
19th November 2004, 04:57
I think you're right..I got it plugged up nicely, but I would rather use the harder metal harley part, does mikuni make our carbs or HD?

XLFREAK
19th November 2004, 05:03
I did the same mistake. I ended up get what was left of the plug and filling it with jb weld. When it hardened I grinded it down till it looked nice and smooth and stuck it back in. Worked gets.

wickedsprint
19th November 2004, 05:07
That's not a bad idea, thanks :)

cantolina
19th November 2004, 05:19
SO glad I'm not the only idiot.... :(

I stopped midway thru drilling, realizing what I was doing....

THEN I drilled out the RIGHT one....lol

That was about 6 mos ago....it seems ok still...

Good luck!

AZbiker
19th November 2004, 15:46
wickedsprint,

Our carbs are made by Keihin. Stock ones can be had on Ebay pretty cheap. Hope you can get yours fixed!