PDA

View Full Version : Why shouldn't I buy a

bjc3113
11th June 2008, 01:22
2008 Super Glide?

I was in dealer the other day dropping off my Sportster for repairs and fell in love with a new black Super Glide. It looks just like a Sporty only bigger tank and motor. Any reason I shouldn't get one if I can afford it? It's only $2000. more than new Nightster.

Just wondering if anyone had an opinion.

Laker
11th June 2008, 01:37
I see no problem. Try it out and report back.

Ron9
11th June 2008, 01:53
Super Glides are cool.

I view them as a view the base line Sportster.

A good place to start.

Years ago the had a Sport Glide ..... that would have been a wonderful big bike starting place.

honkytnkmn
11th June 2008, 01:55
Rude Rude Rude to start a thread like that and not post a pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

xena
11th June 2008, 02:12
2008 Super Glide?

I was in dealer the other day dropping off my Sportster for repairs and fell in love with a new black Super Glide. ..... Any reason I shouldn't get one if I can afford it.

My opinion. Take one for a ride and see if you
like it better than what you have before changing bikes.

oakies
11th June 2008, 02:29
All I can say is take the Dyna for a test ride...And go from there.
Thats what I did and look where it got me:D

Gone
11th June 2008, 03:08
My buddy has an 06 Superglide, and he gets really upset when my little Sporty outruns his bike........:p

Bob F
11th June 2008, 03:26
Ride ever bike you can and pick the one you want. My 2.

havi0412c
11th June 2008, 03:50
Ride ever bike you can and pick the one you want. My 2.

My thoughts exactly. and that is what I did too.

Moved On / My Own Choice
11th June 2008, 03:58
the Super Glide still represents one of the best values in a new Harley.

It's a great all-around bike, much more comfortable than the sporty, but still pretty darn capable.

If you like it - buy it...

Kev

bjc3113
11th June 2008, 04:01
I added photo

shotgun46
11th June 2008, 04:03
I like the FXD Super Glide Kinda looks like A sportster but bigger ! I also like the FXDB Street Bob both great bikes !

jimmyess333
11th June 2008, 04:25
The Super Glide would be my Favorite BT.
I'm not a fan of the current Dyna mags but they look good painted black on a black bike.

ReddTigger
11th June 2008, 07:46
I've been thinking of a Base Dyna for years.. Great starting place.. NIMBLE like a sporty and lots of available upgrade parts.

johnnysquire
11th June 2008, 15:13
Because the cases aren't shiny enough, the speedo is too easy to see and the tank is too small? Go with the Custom for another G.

Wheezy
11th June 2008, 15:26
Because the cases aren't shiny enough

I don't think the cases are too shiny on the custom either, that was one of my favorite bikes until i saw the engine finish. I think the Lowrider and maybe the Wide Glide are the only one's with the shiny engine.

greanmeany1
19th June 2008, 17:57
slower, heavyer

Moved On / My Own Choice
19th June 2008, 18:19
slower, heavyer

Uh, heavier maybe, but not necessarily slower, and MUCH more comfortable for most people.

linkin5
19th June 2008, 18:22
Super glide isn't that the BT for girls... Just kidding.

stevja1
19th June 2008, 18:50
I was looking at upgrading a while back and decided not to, here's why:
Comparing power/weight ratios, the sporty was faster
Sporty got better gas mileage
Have to get forward controls, (unless I paid extra and got the Fat Bob)
Other than a bigger gas tank and a slightly longer frame, you're basically still riding a sportster. I'd rather take the time, save the money and get a road king and go all out. (Just my personal opinion though).
I could only get $5k on my sporty for trade in (which I hear is half-way decent)
The Sportster is paid for

If I had it to do over again though, I'd still be sorely tempted by the Superglide Custom... Its a nice looking bike and it doesn't cost you your left arm to buy it.

Moved On / My Own Choice
19th June 2008, 18:55
I was looking at upgrading a while back and decided not to, here's why:
Comparing power/weight ratios, the sporty was faster
Sporty got better gas mileage
Have to get forward controls, (unless I paid extra and got the Fat Bob)
Other than a bigger gas tank and a slightly longer frame, you're basically still riding a sportster. I'd rather take the time, save the money and get a road king and go all out. (Just my personal opinion though).

- power-to-weight doesn't always tell the whole story - gear ratios, final drive ratio and the rider tell the rest and at that point it's an RCH.

I hate forwards - chalk one up for the Dyna

Plus the Dyna has better suspension and brakes.

shadecorp
19th June 2008, 19:01
"Why shouldn't I buy a
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Super Glide?

I was in dealer the other day dropping off my Sportster for repairs and fell in love with a new black Super Glide. It looks just like a Sporty only bigger tank and motor. Any reason I shouldn't get one if I can afford it? It's only $2000. more than new Nightster.

Just wondering if anyone had an opinion."
-----------------------------------------
Life is too short to wonder, "What If" or "Why Didn't I"

Sure glad my Son took me to California Harley on "That Day"

Saw and fell in love the bike, and bought her.

No Regrets.

greanmeany1
19th June 2008, 20:03
Uh, heavier maybe, but not necessarily slower, and MUCH more comfortable for most people.

average stage 1 1200 sporty 70 -75 hp

average big twin stage 1 60 - 65 hp and almost 700 lbs

my buddys 08 96 inch night train with stage 1 dynoed 69 hp with a power comander:( no thanks.never lost a race to a un built big twin with my 05 1200c

Moved On / My Own Choice
19th June 2008, 20:21
average stage 1 1200 sporty 70 -75 hp

average big twin stage 1 60 - 65 hp and almost 700 lbs

my buddys 08 96 inch night train with stage 1 dynoed 69 hp with a power comander:( no thanks.never lost a race to a un built big twin with my 05 1200c

:rolleyes:

"average" means nothing.

Your buddies dynoed at almost 70, so that makes us question the 60-65 anyway.

You forget torque is part of the equation too.

A definition of fast that ONLY takes into consideration 1/4 times is myopic.

shotgun46
19th June 2008, 20:34
My glide dynos @ close to 90/95
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/shotgun46/glide_0091.jpg

shotgun46
19th June 2008, 20:40
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/shotgun46/dynorunglide.jpg

greanmeany1
19th June 2008, 23:20
a 1200 spools up faster becouse its internal parts are lighter. it also revs higher. like i said 96 inch 69 HP sporty 74 inches 70 - 70 hp. a new 96 inch with a big air kit, pipes and power comander is hard pressed to pull 70 HP. every 1200 i ever saw on a dyno at least put out 72 HP. with jetting and a pipe that is. but what the hell we are not going to agree. a big twin harley is the last motorcycle i would ever want if horsepower was what i was after.
i like big twins for what they are fun and cool.

nalakk
20th June 2008, 02:12
Having just returned from a trip to Laconia, I can add my feelings to this discussion. After a 21/2 hour trip up, I embarked on a 5 hour round robin of just about every bike they brought to demo. This year, in contrast to past years, they had many fewer riders doing the demo and I was able to get off one and onto another. It was just as I'd hoped. Before getting into my feelings of the day, let me start by mentioning the bikes that HD did not bring at all. They did not bring any 883's or FXD's. The only sportsters . available were 1200's. I don't know the significance of this but in extended discussions with some of the HD developers, I got the impression that they were eliminating the 883's over the next two years as well as the FXD and having the 1200 as the entry level with possibly combining the Dynas and Sporsters and introducing the 88 as the big Sporster/Dyna. They told me they were going to introduce new models, eliminate some and beef up the engines.
Now my impressions. I thought that I would like the Dyna line,esp. the low rider, but I was disappointed in the handling, and performance. I thought it was very awkward and clumsy in turns. Two Dynas that I like were the fat bob, which handled surprisingly well and the screaming eagle Dyna which was a rocket. That was some bike . After an assortment of softtails and tourer's, including road kings , glides and rockers, the last bike impressed me the most. My last ride was a 1200R, which I found the most enjoyable in all aspects. Since I ride a 883 hugger, I could appreciate the 1200 difference and felt that if I were to buy a bike today, the 1200R would be it. This is my opinion and each must arrive at one's own. I can't wait to see what the MOCO has in store for the sporty/dyna lines. We'll find out this summer.

Moved On / My Own Choice
20th June 2008, 11:39
I thought that I would like the Dyna line,esp. the low rider, but I was disappointed in the handling, and performance. I thought it was very awkward and clumsy in turns.

That's a clear sign that either something was wrong with that bike (not likely since they check the demos regularly) OR you're just plain old not used to it.

I've put some miles on some TC FXDs and I've ridden with them on some pretty aggressive rides through the smokies, no problems in the turns.

I got a bud on the left coast (a former GSXR racer) whose street bike is an 06 FXDB with 47k miles on it now who goes sportbike-newbie hunting on his.

Kev

PS Green - yes, we're never going to agree... ;)

shotgun46
20th June 2008, 12:22
:rolleyes:

"average" means nothing.

Your buddies dynoed at almost 70, so that makes us question the 60-65 anyway.

You forget torque is part of the equation too.

A definition of fast that ONLY takes into consideration 1/4 times is myopic.

My glide
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/shotgun46/wheelie.jpg

nalakk
20th June 2008, 13:19
Yes Kev, that's what I thought too. They brought four low riders including the SE and a 2007 for comparison. I thought that was strange and and the senior managers descended on each rider for opinions. The MOCO was focusing on the dynas as if they were contemplating changes/improvements to that group. Most riders that I spoke with preferred the softails to the dynas and the representatives I talked with indicated that the company was disappointed in dyna sales. I rode two dynas and the SE and was disappointed in the handling of both. The SE with forward controls and a 110 motor was in a class by itself. Everyone should try to get ahold of that one and hang on. It shows what HD can do. In the end, my champion was the 1200R for ergonomics, ride, and handling ability. That was definitely a winner.

jrossty
20th June 2008, 13:22
I like the superglides...

That said, I'll probably never own a new Harley...

unless my ship comes in...

...and I'm land-locked... :doh :tour:tour

so I ride whats paid off... with a big smile on my face :D

now if I won one, or one was given to me......hmmmm :shhhh :D

Moved On / My Own Choice
20th June 2008, 13:42
Yes Kev, that's what I thought too. They brought four low riders including the SE and a 2007 for comparison. I thought that was strange and and the senior managers descended on each rider for opinions. The MOCO was focusing on the dynas as if they were contemplating changes/improvements to that group. Most riders that I spoke with preferred the softails to the dynas and the representatives I talked with indicated that the company was disappointed in dyna sales. I rode two dynas and the SE and was disappointed in the handling of both. The SE with forward controls and a 110 motor was in a class by itself. Everyone should try to get ahold of that one and hang on. It shows what HD can do. In the end, my champion was the 1200R for ergonomics, ride, and handling ability. That was definitely a winner.

You want a poor handling bike in the corners - the Softail takes the trophy for Harleys...

I'll take an FXD or an FLH before I'd take a Softy... hell, I'd only take a softy if I had a sucker (I mean buyer) lined up for it. ;)

But such has been the long term bain of Harley's existance.

A LARGE percentage of buyers who are more concerned with style over substance.

Time after time they try to come out with bikes that perform better (XLCR, FXDX, FXDXT, 883R etc) and they just don't sell as well.

And then we wonder why they don't put better brakes and suspensions on em?

Cause the majority of their customers don't know any better, or care.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's really hard stuff for me to say, cause I've always loved my Harleys and still do.

But everytime they come out with something I like, it's not around long enough...

jrossty
20th June 2008, 13:46
I tell you what though Kev... My dad's had some medical issues for the past 6 years or so, which can make it painful for him to be in the saddle...
Going from his softail to my sporty, he says the ride makes a world of difference to him. Its much easier on him on his softail standard. But I suppose when I'm almost 70 years old, I'll probably want a lil more comfort instead of corner-carving & speed. know what I mean...plus his budget couldn't afford more pricier Big twins...
You want a poor handling bike in the corners - the Softail takes the trophy for Harleys...

I'll take an FXD or an FLH before I'd take a Softy... hell, I'd only take a softy if I had a sucker (I mean buyer) lined up for it. ;)

But such has been the long term bain of Harley's existance.

A LARGE percentage of buyers who are more concerned with style over substance.

Time after time they try to come out with bikes that perform better (XLCR, FXDX, FXDXT, 883R etc) and they just don't sell as well.

And then we wonder why they don't put better brakes and suspensions on em?

Cause the majority of their customers don't know any better, or care.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's really hard stuff for me to say, cause I've always loved my Harleys and still do.

But everytime they come out with something I like, it's not around long enough...

Gone
20th June 2008, 13:49
darn .. i wasn't even looking for one .. but i'm sold .. where's the nearest dealer at?

Moved On / My Own Choice
20th June 2008, 13:59
I tell you what though Kev... My dad's had some medical issues for the past 6 years or so, which can make it painful for him to be in the saddle...
Going from his softail to my sporty, he says the ride makes a world of difference to him. Its much easier on him on his softail standard. But I suppose when I'm almost 70 years old, I'll probably want a lil more comfort instead of corner-carving & speed. know what I mean...plus his budget couldn't afford more pricier Big twins...

FLST or FXST?

If it's an FL - then the FLH would likely be even better

If it's an FX - then the FXD would likely be even better.

Oh wait, you said Softail Standard - so FX... come on, you rode the Dyna, you gotta admit that it's a magic carpet ride compared to the Sporty.

My real estate agent is an old friend that I met through the HOG club back in 93 when I bought my first Harley. I'll guess he's in his 60s... has a bad wrist from being forced into a jersey-barrier some years back. Has two bad knees that should be replaced. Has asthma so bad it puts him in the hospital.

Last night, he hopped on his Road King to go deliver our offer to a listing agent.

Anyway, it's not all about corner carving speed, the FLH and FXD offer more to a rider - for both comfort and ability than the FLST and FXST... THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

josephthreedogs
20th June 2008, 16:11
Go for a V-Rod, really fast.

bjc3113
20th June 2008, 17:15
Super glide isn't that the BT for girls... Just kidding.

hahahahaha