PDA

View Full Version : THE NEXT BIG THING... predictions

scottgearman
11th June 2008, 12:44
THE NEXT BIG THING... predictions

Hey Guys and Gals. In the last few years we've seen the 300+ rear tires, flat black paint, Rat bikes and Bobbers.

What do you think will be the next trend?

Bob F
11th June 2008, 13:04
Techno-bikes. No more distributors, music from space (XM), GPS, anti-lock brakes, digital displays, LED lights, built in cell phones, internet, TV, handle bar key pads, cruise control, auto pilot, etc....

FrankBlack
11th June 2008, 13:22
Bikes that run on sunflower oil, electricity or maybe the flux capacitor. But we'll still be talking about bobbers...:p

Giannirides
11th June 2008, 13:23
I think mo-peds are on the comeback.

gypsysailor
11th June 2008, 13:24
Cute little scootters, all the yuppies will dump those suvs and Texas will look like some of the asian countries I visited with entire families on one vespa. Last year I was the idiot with bugs on my glasses, now I am the guy that can actually afford to go somewhere. Sportsters Rule !!! Even the BT guys are whinning about poor fuel milage.

screech69
11th June 2008, 13:27
Harley and Vespa merge creating Vespa-Davidson the worlds largest v-twin scooters!

grindbastard
11th June 2008, 13:28
Sidecars! With the price of gas going up and up, you'll want to be maximizing passenger room on your bike. Sidecars....and passenger trailers even...and and...people holding onto the passenger trailers while wearing rollerskates. The list of wheeled contraptions trailing from your bike will be a clear indication of your status among bikers and men! Start blacking out your radio flyers...or chrome them up if the notion tickles you.

Just_Todd
11th June 2008, 13:41
Price of electricity doubles, price of ethanol doubles...

as the dependence on foreign oil drops...

just trade one price for another.

beuz
11th June 2008, 13:48
147 ci sportsters engines, using hydrogen, bolt on hard tail frame with 23" front and rear wheels....

thatbikerguy
11th June 2008, 13:51
....This http://rocketshields.com/ :doh

Wheezy
11th June 2008, 13:54
....This http://rocketshields.com/ :doh

I just threw up in my mouth

thatbikerguy
11th June 2008, 13:56
They should make ALL "Squids" have them... Lol!

Volsteedt
11th June 2008, 14:10
What not to do to superbike! And naturally this "fairing" is going to protect your head if you come off at 200km/h.

And small cars is going to make a comeback and leave the road to real bikers.

CaptEvo
11th June 2008, 16:46
Jet Packs.:wonderlan

Johnny Wolf
11th June 2008, 16:57
I don't think these are the kind of answers the o.p. was looking for. I'm fairly certain he's refering to customizing/styling trends.:rolleyes:

Erik
11th June 2008, 17:16
My 2c : Narrow, narrow and narrow could be the next thing...

I think the Japanese bobber-like style will get greater and greater ;

- "as narrow as can get" glide bobberstyle front.
- Customized narrow made peanut like gastanks (making it even less then the 2.2 gallon !)
- smallest sizes tires, both front and rear

Just a wild quess :D

emzdogz
11th June 2008, 17:18
I think the big ol' loopy buckhorns are gonna make a comeback.

Or even major pullbacks like these.
http://www.sideroadcycles.com/americanmotorcycles/handlebars/Six_Bends/src650_08221tn.jpg

Might be a while yet, and I could be wrong.

grindbastard
11th June 2008, 17:20
I don't think these are the kind of answers the o.p. was looking for. I'm fairly certain he's refering to customizing/styling trends.:rolleyes:

Sidecars! Again I say, "SIDECARS!"

el jinete fantasma
11th June 2008, 17:25
I think the scene is gonna go more underground. With the industry focused on baggers, there will be more do-it-yourself 60s-inspired choppers with flashy paint.

On the non-motorcycle front, I think retro-scooters will take off. There's already a lot on the street due to gas prices. We may be entering another Mods & Rockers phase.

Gone
11th June 2008, 17:37
Sidecars! With the price of gas going up and up, you'll want to be maximizing passenger room on your bike. Sidecars....and passenger trailers even...and and...people holding onto the passenger trailers while wearing rollerskates. The list of wheeled contraptions trailing from your bike will be a clear indication of your status among bikers and men! Start blacking out your radio flyers...or chrome them up if the notion tickles you.

+1

Also, they make it possible to ride in the snow!

tim4hire
11th June 2008, 17:48
global cooling!

drd1135
11th June 2008, 18:43
If we get to the "MC as transportation" phase in the US, we'll see practical bikes become more popular. A cheap trike (imagine Suzuki Savage) might be very profitable.

This will also influence styling. Green is the new Black, usable (not choppers) bikes, etc.

Gone
11th June 2008, 19:22
I believe the next BIG thingie will be holographic motorcycles, with the price of gas looming at $10 after January 2009. One will simply dawn their riding gear, sleevless denim jacket and a bandana. Then put on his virtual helmet and gloves, mount the bike (set up in family room). start the computer and begin the Sunday ride through the virtual countryside. Oh, do be careful of the virtual cows.

Fuel used = 0
Carbon footprint = 0 (sorry Al Gore)
Fun = 0 (hey there ain't no free lunch)(shudda bought the optional virtual vibrator, and wind simulator)

Indianboy
11th June 2008, 19:26
I think we'll see more retro-styling along the lines of the Crossbones

Johnny Wolf
12th June 2008, 00:15
I think we'll see more retro-styling along the lines of the Crossbones

That is the "now" what will be next?

Brad
12th June 2008, 00:18
Small bikes will become more mainstream. HD will produce a sub 500cc thumper or vertical twin.

(and I will be first in line)

vmaxx4
12th June 2008, 00:27
Harley and Vespa merge creating Vespa-Davidson the worlds largest v-twin scooters!

http://cmgonline.com/20080606601/International/Harley-MV-Agusta-to-wed

Sleeper
12th June 2008, 00:51
I think the big ol' loopy buckhorns are gonna make a comeback.

Or even major pullbacks like these.
http://www.sideroadcycles.com/americanmotorcycles/handlebars/Six_Bends/src650_08221tn.jpg

Might be a while yet, and I could be wrong.

Had tall buckhorns on my 76 Sporty, not apes.
Absolutely loved them.
That I'd like to see comeback. ;)

Small bikes will become more mainstream. HD will produce a sub 500cc thumper or vertical twin.

(and I will be first in line)

I think your right about the smaller displacement bikes, and that's a good thing.
But keep in mind Harley will have to sub out a project like that.
They can't find their own azz, using both hands, by themselves. :doh

Kwest187
12th June 2008, 00:59
what about those backward trike things...they have 2 wheels in front and one in back...I passed on the road awhile back...some chic was ride/driving it...kinda cool...kinda-

vmaxx4
12th June 2008, 01:03
what about those backward trike things...they have 2 wheels in front and one in back...I passed on the road awhile back...some chic was ride/driving it...kinda cool...kinda-

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/06/01/harley-davidson-leaning-trike-patent-application/

http://spyder.brp.com/

rokclmb
12th June 2008, 02:14
Bikes that look stock but arent? Check out the sportster in the latest issue of American Iron. I think it's been posted here somewhere.

Gone
12th June 2008, 02:27
I think that the boardtrack racer/flat track racer look has already been declared the 'next big thing'.

Bobber and Cafe style bikes are never going to be out of fashion. Dressers are nice, if you have a long haul or a lot of crap to tote around-but the basic motorcycle (ie: the Sportster), will never go out of style.