PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless spoked wheels - FOUND!

xl1200r
13th March 2006, 17:41
Well, sort of...

There's this company called "Santa Fe Motors, Inc." They make thier own wheels called "Jupiter Wheels", which are tubeless spoked wheels. The only problem is they're for dirt track racing, and as such are only advertised as being availible in 19" rim sizes.

I sent an e-mail out asking about other rim sizes, and the possibility of them being laced to factory HD hubs. I'll let you guys know the response.

Here's a link to the website:
http://www.santafemotors.com/index.html

midnitewolf
13th March 2006, 18:02
If your looking to make your spoke wheel
tubeless heres a company that will do it.

http://www.wheel-works.com/

They are just down the street from me
and have a good reputation .

xl1200r
13th March 2006, 19:08
If your looking to make your spoke wheel
tubeless heres a company that will do it.

http://www.wheel-works.com/

They are just down the street from me
and have a good reputation .

I spoke to them on the phone about a month or so ago, and the guy told me that they are no longer doing (even though thier website says they are). They started to get people coming back with leaks, so they won't offer it again until they have it squared away. He said something with the compound must have changed because it worked great for a while.

I'll try calling them again to see of anything changed.

As for the link I posted, they already replied and it seems they can get adapters to get them to fit HD's, and it's been done plenty to sportsters, but it sounds like an expensive proposition.

GOTWA
13th March 2006, 21:01
BMW makes tubeless laced rims. I believe they mount them to their dual sports.

xl1200r
13th March 2006, 21:14

They do, and it's really nothing special when you take a look at them. All they do it mount the spokes on the outside of the rim, so they aren't in the tire area, but outside of it.

Chris from Trak-Tek posted a picture of this somewhere.

somerset
13th March 2006, 21:27
my front spoked wheel is tubeless

xl1200r
13th March 2006, 21:36
my front spoked wheel is tubeless

How did you do it?

somerset
13th March 2006, 23:05
came with the bike.front tubeless,back tube.!1995 1200. had bike about 4 weeks now

IronMick
14th March 2006, 02:46
came with the bike.front tubeless,back tube.!1995 1200. had bike about 4 weeks now

It is probably a tubeless tire with a tube in it. This is done often.

Tucson_Tim
14th March 2006, 02:53

Yes. The RxxxGS bikes have had them for 15 years (maybe longer).

Moto Guzzi also has tubeless spoked rims on some of their bikes.

xl1200r
14th March 2006, 14:29
I'm still waiting to hear back from wheel-works...I'm getting anxious...

somerset
14th March 2006, 14:55
Nope its not a tubless tire with a tube in it. front tire valve srem has no nut on .So that makes it tubeless.It`s long rubber.....

xl1200r
14th March 2006, 15:00
Nope its not a tubless tire with a tube in it. front tire valve srem has no nut on .So that makes it tubeless.It`s long rubber.....

Not having a nut on it does not make it tubeless, it just means that it doens't have a nut on it. My tubless tires on my Mags have nuts on them, so that doesn't mean anything.

In fact, many tubes don't use nuts on the valve stem - I won't say for certain there aren't any, but I know I've never installed a tube with a nut on the valvestem.

If you don't have a nut on your valvestem, then you can tell by looking at the hole where it comes through - if you can see the outer edge of the hole (like the valvestem is just sticking out of it), then you have a tube. You can't see the outer edge of the hole (like the base of the stem is bigger than the hole and overlaps the top of it, then you don't have a tube.

What you despcribe sounds like a tube to me, being that it's a long rubber rubber stem.

somerset
14th March 2006, 15:04
Ok had a look in custom chrome05 cat "american wire do 80 spoke custom wheels all 16 wheels use a unique automotive silicone seal on the inside of the rim to allow the wheels to be run on tubeless tires.

somerset
14th March 2006, 15:18
yep your right,learn something new each day..having a closer look the valve stem is just sticking out of it..

The back tire has the nut on the valve stem,that why i thought it was tubless.

Cheers tony

Biker_unknown
15th March 2006, 16:53
Most any wire wheel manufacture makes tubeless wire "spoke" wheels. American Wire Wheel makes them here in the US. I think I would go with them over a Imported wheel that you will have trouble with warranty claims if any. You should be able to go to just about any reputable cycle shop and have them order you a set of tubeless wheels. I don't know what sizes they all come in.

xl1200r
16th March 2006, 00:18
Problem is I'm not going with chrome wheels, so American Wire Wheel doesn't really help me.

I heard back from Wheel-Works and they tell me that they still can't seal wire wheels. They may be back up and running in about a month or so he says.

Biker_unknown
16th March 2006, 21:41
what do you mean you are going with "chrome" wheels and American Wire wheels Can't help you? They make sealed chrome wheels, you should see if they will seal you wheels. You never know,,,

xl1200r
16th March 2006, 21:43
what do you mean you are going with "chrome" wheels and American Wire wheels Can't help you? They make sealed chrome wheels, you should see if they will seal you wheels. You never know,,,

You misread my post - I'm not going with chrome wheels. However you do bring up a good point - maybe they can seal mine for me...

Biker_unknown
16th March 2006, 22:35
Doesnt hurt to ask, good luck.

xl1200r
16th March 2006, 23:57
They can seal my wheels for me, but here are the problems.

As soon as the rims are adjusted (he seemed to think that an aluminum wheel will be more likely to need adjusted) the seal will be broken.

Also, they may not be able to do the front because it is too narrow. If the seal get broken, and they need to be adjusted fairly often, then maybe I better stick with tubes if I can find the right size.

Biker_unknown
17th March 2006, 14:36
I just re-read the whole post and now I see you have a 19. I thought all sportsters had 21's and I read it as you went to a 18. 18 to 19 I don't know how I made that cross, but I know they don't seal their 19's. I local shop has a VRod with American Wire Wheels on it and they are not sealed. At least the front one isn't, I think the rear on that one is solid anyways. I don't have any personal experiance with the products, I have talked to guys there alot trying to get info on the wheels I want. 21 front with painted green loop, copper nipples, stainless spokes and copper hub and a matching 18 rear. I can't wait to order them. Well let me know, they seem like pretty cool guys.

xl1200r
17th March 2006, 14:58
They wre definately very helpful, but I just don't think it's a logical choice for me.

most XLs have the 19" front wheel - only the customs come with the 21".

I'll still look into this, but I may just settle on the tube.