PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg Bike week 2008, July 10 -13

Irondrake77
17th June 2008, 23:44
Well, The wife had so much fun last year, she insisted we go back this year. So We already made our hotel reservations, and are planning on riding in on Wednesday the 9th (my Birthday *HINT HINT*)

Anybody else?

I expect Shenanigans! :D

Screw Loose Dan
17th June 2008, 23:50
I'm on-call for work that week (grumble, grumble), we'll see what I can do about that. Maybe I'll stop in for a day.

acenorm
17th June 2008, 23:54
I'll be getting there on the 10th.

Best Regards,
Norm

Irondrake77
18th June 2008, 00:01
See who all is in. We need to do a phone tree again. that was very helpful last year.

Drcstang: dude, that sucks.

Brad
18th June 2008, 00:55
Well, I owe you some beers from Hockey season so I'll be there sometime. I'll see if I can do the 9th.

johnnybgood
18th June 2008, 03:19
I'll be there at some point in time. Wouldn't mind seeing 38 Special on Thursday the 10th.

http://www.gettysburgbikeweek.com

John

Irondrake77
18th June 2008, 22:41
Bumpitty bumb :bump

ladydihd1
20th June 2008, 19:05
I will be there all days don't live far away. Working the Demo rides for the Battlefield HOG chapter some of the time.

Irondrake77
23rd June 2008, 03:48
We will be riding on Rt. 30 all the way. Even if you're not going, if anybody wants to hook up and ride a bit with us it's cool. There's a bar on top of the one Mountain that She really wanted to stop at last time, but we were trying to outrun the rain so we didn't stop. We booked too late this year so we didn't get the awesome hotel room we got last year..oh well, so we won't be in such a hurry to get there. lol.

xtheunknown
23rd June 2008, 13:10
Unfortunately, I can't be there this year. My club chose that Sunday to hold the annual BBQ and as VP, I can't miss it. I had such a blast last year riding with all the XL Forum people and the rally is a blast. Have fun and ride safe. Take some pics and post them when you get back.

msisak
23rd June 2008, 13:58
IronDrake-

Are you referring to the bar on top of Laurel Mountain (near ligoneer)? I rode past it this weekend and it was packed (75 + bikes) I'll be riding through there again on the 4th weekend, hopefully I can stop and check it out.

drd1135
23rd June 2008, 16:36
We'll be there this year. A friend and my wife and I are taking our bikes and the friend's wife is taking the car. My daughter is going in the car to visit her friends (she goes to Gettysburg College). Packing is much easier with a chase car. :D

drd1135
23rd June 2008, 16:39
BTW, any advice from the veterans of things to definitely go to (or to avoid)?

ReddTigger
23rd June 2008, 16:58
Well, The wife had so much fun last year, she insisted we go back this year. So We already made our hotel reservations, and are planning on riding in on Wednesday the 9th (my Birthday *HINT HINT*)

Anybody else?

I'm going to try to make it a couple of days, Biggest factor is if wife's schedule.

mikeLI_77
23rd June 2008, 17:07
I'm going to try and come down again also. We should set up a run again like we did last year. Pres41 led us on a good ride last year.

Irondrake77
23rd June 2008, 22:42
IronDrake-

Are you referring to the bar on top of Laurel Mountain (near ligoneer)? I rode past it this weekend and it was packed (75 + bikes) I'll be riding through there again on the 4th weekend, hopefully I can stop and check it out.

I think it was somewhere between Breezewood and Chambersburg. I have no idea which mountain, they all seem to run together. The one with the 15 MPH bend at the top where the bar is, lol.

BTW, any advice from the veterans of things to definitely go to (or to avoid)?

She wants to go on one of the Ghost walk tours, which when we did some in St. Augustine, FL was awesome. And of course stop at the Pike which is a (haunted, supposedly) Bar. The center of town with a round-about gets real heavy traffic. Try to avoid that during the middle of the day.

I'm going to try and come down again also. We should set up a run again like we did last year. Pres41 led us on a good ride last year.

Anybody want to do a run? I have no idea on what's out there, which is why I heard Pres had an awesome run. If someone's got any ideas let's toss them around. :) :carrot

ReddTigger
24th June 2008, 15:21
Wifey has to work saturday night, so I can leave here on Sunday Morning, provided I Can earn a couple hundred dollars between now and then.

So, hopefully I'll be there by sunday !

ladydihd1
24th June 2008, 16:37
I think it was somewhere between Breezewood and Chambersburg. I have no idea which mountain, they all seem to run together. The one with the 15 MPH bend at the top where the bar is, lol.

She wants to go on one of the Ghost walk tours, which when we did some in St. Augustine, FL was awesome. And of course stop at the Pike which is a (haunted, supposedly) Bar. The center of town with a round-about gets real heavy traffic. Try to avoid that during the middle of the day.

Anybody want to do a run? I have no idea on what's out there, which is why I heard Pres had an awesome run. If someone's got any ideas let's toss them around. :) :carrot

The Bar is called The Mountain House.

It is in Mc Connellsburg on Tuscarora Mountain.

klinesamuel
24th June 2008, 23:25

Anybody else?

Hey Drake what's up. I live in York which is near Gettysburg so I will be there often. Maybe I will buy you your first beer and we can talk about our Penguins. Give me a shout if you like.

Sam in York

pres41
25th June 2008, 13:56
:tour Yea another meeting of the XLF, I will be there Fri & Sat. We can do a run
either day if anyone wants me to set one up.

LuxBlue
25th June 2008, 14:15
I'm only 40 miles away. I'll be up on Friday the 11th with a couple of buddies of mine (on our Sportys of course! A '77, a '92 and my '04). I am also coming back up on Saturday with my Lady. There's a really good all girl band called Mustang Sally playing at 8pm. I saw them play at Put in Bay in Ohio and they are great Southern Rockers. Here's their web site.

http://www.mustangsallyband.com/

And a youtube video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x4GQw8kRf0g

Also, one of those days I'll be wearing my XL Forum T-shirt. Stop and say hi if you see me!

itgirl25
28th June 2008, 03:04
i'll be there, probably every night. i am a native to the area as well.

johnnybgood
28th June 2008, 04:32
:tour Yea another meeting of the XLF, I will be there Fri & Sat. We can do a run
either day if anyone wants me to set one up.

Hey Pete, I would love to do a ride on Friday.......not sure I can do it on that Saturday (the 12th).

John

pres41
30th June 2008, 14:15
:tour Well, Fri will work for me, If someone sets a time and place to meet.
I don;t know if some of the other riders coming or not, the more the merrier.

itgirl25
30th June 2008, 19:07
i could do a friday ride.

heythereuthere
30th June 2008, 21:32
I live close by and would be interested in a ride on Friday also. I am working for my Hog chapter on SAt, so that day would be out. Anyone interested in meeting ,gimme a shout

acenorm
30th June 2008, 23:08
I won't be able to do the ride, but I hope to see some of you out there. I have my wife, daughter and mother driving out on Friday and I will be spending the day with them.

Best Regards,
Norm

Irondrake77
30th June 2008, 23:59
I would love to do a friday ride :-)

I just have no idea when or where.

Danny3nose
1st July 2008, 00:06
Sadly, with the new promotion at work I had to move my vacation schedule. But... I do have weekends off now, and may be able to come out late friday night or early saturday morning. we'll see.

Irondrake77
1st July 2008, 11:50
Sadly, with the new promotion at work I had to move my vacation schedule. But... I do have weekends off now, and may be able to come out late friday night or early saturday morning. we'll see.

Damn, that's a hell of a ride for the weekend. Glad to see ya come if ya can make it though

Clarinetcat
1st July 2008, 12:25
I had a great time last year coming down for a day and riding with Pres and the gang, but this year my music festival is the same weekend, Fri - Sun up in Ithaca, NY...

You guys ride safe and have a great time!

XLF'ers last year at Battlefield H-D

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/clarinetcat1/XL%20Forum%20Pics/Gettysburg%20Carlisle%202007/XLFCircleJerk.jpg

Pres leading the way

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/clarinetcat1/XL%20Forum%20Pics/Gettysburg%20Carlisle%202007/PeteatDeihls.jpg

The Gettysburg 2007 XLF Ride Crew

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/clarinetcat1/XL%20Forum%20Pics/Gettysburg%20Carlisle%202007/GettysburgXLFRoadDogs.jpg

xtheunknown
1st July 2008, 12:39
I had a great time last year coming down for a day and riding with Pres and the gang, but this year my music festival is the same weekend, Fri - Sun up in Ithaca, NY...

You guys ride safe and have a great time!

XLF'ers last year at Battlefield H-D

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/clarinetcat1/XL%20Forum%20Pics/Gettysburg%20Carlisle%202007/XLFCircleJerk.jpg

Pres leading the way

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/clarinetcat1/XL%20Forum%20Pics/Gettysburg%20Carlisle%202007/PeteatDeihls.jpg

The Gettysburg 2007 XLF Ride Crew

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/clarinetcat1/XL%20Forum%20Pics/Gettysburg%20Carlisle%202007/GettysburgXLFRoadDogs.jpg

Good times! Thanks for reminding me how fat I look in photos. If the camera adds 10 pounds, I have to ask how many cameras were pointing at me? ;)

Clarinetcat
1st July 2008, 13:05
Good times! Thanks for reminding me how fat I look in photos. If the camera adds 10 pounds, I have to ask how many cameras were pointing at me? ;)

That was a great day, wasn't it? :tour

Bah, no worries... what's 10 pounds?
You sound like a woman, next thing you'll tell me is you ride a girl's bike. :roflblack ;)

pres41
1st July 2008, 14:34
:tour

Ok Gang, laid out a ride for Fri, I would suggest we meet a Battlefield Harley at noon at the Pavilion, ride should be about 120 miles. There will be a fuel stop if needed, but make sure you are full when we leave Battlefield, there is a Sheetz about 1/4 mile from Battlefield.

Cat I know you like the view from the top of mtns, well your gonna miss one hell of a view from the mtn I picked this time.

Any questions you can also get me a pres41@aol.com or use the email or PM and I will give you my cell number

Ralphthe3rd
1st July 2008, 14:38
Can "I" Come? - LOL !

Clarinetcat
1st July 2008, 14:46
Can "I" Come? - LOL !

Only if you've learned how to ride. :smoke :laugh ;)

Be sure to take some pictures for me, since I won't be there. :frownone

Ralphthe3rd
1st July 2008, 14:56
Well, I think since the ride takes place on Public roads, nothing's stopping me ;)
LOL :D but if I do decide to tag along, I'll try and behave, as long as nobody starts taking short cuts through hay fields and running wide in hairpin curves :shhhh

Only if you've learned how to ride. :smoke :laugh ;)

Be sure to take some pictures for me, since I won't be there. :frownone

pres41
1st July 2008, 16:44

Ralphie:

Your more than welcome to come along.

Ralphthe3rd
1st July 2008, 21:34
Does that mean I'm forgiven for last year ? :D
Btw- at the Appalachian Birthday Bash- Bike Demo's, I suggested to you to take that XL1200 Low for a demo, did you get a chance too ???

Ralphie:

Your more than welcome to come along.

pres41
2nd July 2008, 11:52
Ralphie:

No I didn't get a chance to ride, I kept trying to get the street glide.

pres41
2nd July 2008, 12:00

Ok gang, I finalized the Fri ride last night it should be about 140 miles give or take. This will be a nice leasurely ride since we will have some lady riders with us to include my lady, Itgirl you won't be the only lady.

There are some nice things to see and some nice twisties if some of you want to hang back then play in the twisties to catch up (Ralphie).

There will be a fuel stop at about 90 miles.

Any other questions ???????

Ralphthe3rd
2nd July 2008, 13:42
Pete, just wondering about the route, you mentioned mountains and twisties before, does this ride go further north at any point, or westward ???

Ok gang, I finalized the Fri ride last night it should be about 140 miles give or take. This will be a nice leasurely ride since we will have some lady riders with us to include my lady, Itgirl you won't be the only lady.

There are some nice things to see and some nice twisties if some of you want to hang back then play in the twisties to catch up (Ralphie).

pres41
2nd July 2008, 17:14
Ralphie:

Basically I'm gonna pick up 641 at newville off 233 from Pine Grove Rd, over timmons to shade gap then 522 to McConnellsburg then 30
to the top of the mtn and then back to Gettysburg via 30.

Ralphthe3rd
2nd July 2008, 18:46
Thanks ! I know those roads too :)

PS- btw, when did I become Ralphie ? I mean usually, only the ladies call me Ralphie:D
Ralphie:

Basically I'm gonna pick up 641 at newville off 233 from Pine Grove Rd, over timmons to shade gap then 522 to McConnellsburg then 30
to the top of the mtn and then back to Gettysburg via 30.

Terp84Alum
2nd July 2008, 19:13
I'm hoping to get there on Saturday or Sunday. I'll be in OC from this Saturday to Friday night. I'm somewhat local to Gettysburg so a day trip is no big deal.

Brad
4th July 2008, 00:04
Just got Friday off so I'll be there for the ride!~ :banana:banana:banana

itgirl25
4th July 2008, 03:15

yay! i am sooo looking forward to this and to meeting all you fine folks.

mikeLI_77
4th July 2008, 23:12
what time will the ride be leaving. I am trying to make this but I won't be able to get to gettysburgh until atleast 1p.m?

pres41
5th July 2008, 09:56
Mike:

I plan on leaving between noon and 1 pm, I hope you can make it.

heythereuthere
7th July 2008, 01:25
Prez, just wondering how long the right will be. i would love to get to meet you guys and gals. i have to be back in town to pick up a friend after they get off work and trying to see if i can get the ride in. also if i cant do the whole ride, would that be ok also?

CaptEvo
7th July 2008, 04:02
Do you all stay all weekend? Any XLF plans for Saturday? I cant take off work on Friday but I'm only 3 or 4 hour ride.

pres41
7th July 2008, 13:08

Prez, just wondering how long the right will be. i would love to get to meet you guys and gals. i have to be back in town to pick up a friend after they get off work and trying to see if i can get the ride in. also if i cant do the whole ride, would that be ok also?

heythereuthere

The ride should take about 3 to 4 hrs which put us back in Gettysburg between 4 and 5, I can give you a couple of ways to shorten the ride if you need too.

Do you all stay all weekend? Any XLF plans for Saturday? I cant take off work on Friday but I'm only 3 or 4 hour ride.

Capt:

No plans for Sat, but I will be there, I only live 30 miles away

For all concerned, I will be parked at Battlefield Harley's pavilion at approx 11:30 I will put a sign on my windshield, "XL Forum Ride Meet Here"

Irondrake77
9th July 2008, 02:49
Everything here is a go for me. I got my bike all ready, and my stuff packed I am leaving Pittsburgh @ 9 AM and will eventually get to Gettysbug around 3-5 in the afternoon. Riding Rt 30 all the way in. Stopping where ever looks fun. See ya there.

Mike

ReddTigger
9th July 2008, 02:55
Well My buddy who was going to watch my kids friday night bailed on my, so I am a no go :(
Have a great time for me.

itgirl25
9th July 2008, 03:38
looks like good weather for the ride, and for bike week in general.

Ralphthe3rd
9th July 2008, 04:00
...and meeting alot of you-that I haven't before. Although I may only do about 1/2 the ride, coz I'm thinking of bailing out at about Shade Gap and heading home from there, coz I really have no need/desire to ride all the way back down to Gettysburg- which is 100miles from where I live anyway.

johnnybgood
9th July 2008, 04:37

For sure......looks near perfect.

I'll probably be leaving the Shore on Friday morning. Going around Baltimore, to Frederick, to Gettysburg. Anyone else heading up and taking this route let me know if you want to meet-up.

John

mikeLI_77
10th July 2008, 23:52
I should be coming. I can't say definetly yet. I'll post in the morning if I am coming or not. If I do come I may cut out early on the ride as well depending on how late it gets since I am only coming to gettysburgh for this ride and then I'll be heading back home as well the same night.

johnnybgood
11th July 2008, 04:22
I should be coming. I can't say definetly yet.

Mike, hope you can make it. If not, we'll ride another time.

See you all tommorrow.

John

Ralphthe3rd
11th July 2008, 04:33
I Hope to see many of you tomorrow at noon ! And everyone ride safe on the way there(yeah- I'm gonna follow my own advice too !) :D

mikeLI_77
11th July 2008, 12:13
ok. I'm not making it. Woke up to late and didn't get ready last night so if I leave now it will take me 2 hours just to get out of ny and I won't make it anyway with all the damn traffic. So you guys have a good ride.

Ralphthe3rd
11th July 2008, 23:30
Well, I had a great ride with the gang today. Although I split up from the pack at about 3pm in Orbisonia...we stopped there to check out the East Braod Top narrow gauge steam railroad, but they only run on the weekends.
Anyway, I hope everyone else made it back to Gettsyburg(or home) safely. And btw- guess what, me and Pete got along pretty well this time :p

Danny3nose
11th July 2008, 23:32
Just talked to Mac. He said meet at the dealership at noon on Saturday for a ride if anyone is interested. I won't be making it... You guys have fun!

Ralphthe3rd
12th July 2008, 01:12
Did you say you were taking a ride upto State College tomorrow ??? If so are you coming up 22/322 ? Did you say you were going upto the Quaker Steak and Lube ?

pres41
12th July 2008, 10:59
Ralph

Doing the State College run on Sun Leaving Carlisle about 8.30, not sure of the route I'm not leading this one.

Ralphthe3rd
12th July 2008, 13:46
Ok, I thought you said today(sat). As I'm taking a ride up there today.
BTW- for anyone wanting a fabulous ride up the back way to State College, may I suggest this route: starting from Rt 522/22 you'll see a sign just west of McVeytown that says "To 305"- take this turn off from 522/22 and go up over Jack's mountian- but be sure to stop at the lookout at the top of the mountain- it's at the very peak and you can see both Valleys below(to the south is Ferguson Valley and to the north is Big Valley looking toward Belleville and the Seven Mountains). After you're done taking in the view, continue travelling down the mountain toward Belleville where you'll pick up Rt. 305, travel on that until you come to McLevys Fort- where you'll turn onto Rt 26 heading toward State College, then when you get close to State College you have the choice of either staying on Rt 26 and heading directing into Downtown State College, or take Rt 45 toward Boalsburg....it's a AWESOME ride that I'm going to do today, and end up at the Quaker Steak and Lube for Dinner.

Ralph

Doing the State College run on Sun Leaving Carlisle about 8.30, not sure of the route I'm not leading this one.

Brad
13th July 2008, 01:52
For those who weren't there on Friday, it was a great ride. Here's my view from the back of the pack.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/977/Gettysburg_0708_a.jpg

Ralphthe3rd, pres41, Judi, itgirl25, and johnnybgood.

2 of the 5 had sidecover issues. Time to think about securing yours if you have a rubbermount.

Ralphthe3rd
13th July 2008, 03:00
And since I'm leading, that means it was after I turned you all around to head back to Orbisonia for Ice Cream :D
BTW- I've riden over 11,000miles and NO side cover issues. You really just need to make sure they are snapped in place correctly and the plastic tabs are functioning.

PS- is my right side turn signal on in this photo ???

For those who weren't there on Friday, it was a great ride. Here's my view from the back of the pack.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/977/Gettysburg_0708_a.jpg

Ralphthe3rd, pres41, Judi, itgirl25, and johnnybgood.

2 of the 5 had sidecover issues. Time to think about securing yours if you have a rubbermount.

Brad
13th July 2008, 03:19
And I've ridden over 27,000 miles with only one side cover issue. Itgirl25's wouldn't seat for nothing. We ended up bungieing it. JBG lost his all together. Just saying, better safe than sorry. Thanks for turing me on to the railroad. I'm going back some weekend soon.

Here is the RR that I was telling you about. I think we were talking about the same one!

http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/

Not sure about your TS, maybe you were getting back after passing?

Ralphthe3rd
13th July 2008, 03:33
Ok, so let me get this straight, nobody had sidecover issues -until AFTER I left the group ? So tell me, what was the REST of the ride like ?

About the Cumbres & Toltec, yeah- thats the one I told you I thought it was...the only other one was the Durango & Silverton. Ok, now I'm gonna talk narrow gauge steam locomotives :
The EBT(East Broad Top) uses Baldwin made 3' narrow gauge "Inside Frame" locomotives that look like 3/4 scale Full size steam locomotives of that era. NOW, all the Denver & Rio Grande Western Locos (the ones used on the C&T and D&S) are Baldwin made locos with FULL SIZE outside frame and Full size boilers. IE- they are much more powerful and wider- but still run on 3' narrow gauge rails. The BIG dif is- the Wheels are inside the frame and only the counterweights, connecting rods and valve gear are outside the frame, to connect to the standard width cylinders, which are fed by the standard size boiler. If you look at photos of the Colorado Narrow gauge locos, you can see the BIG dif in they way they look...the EBT's locos tho- look just like the standard gauge ones- only smaller.
PS- for reference, standard gauge railroads are 4' 8-1/2" wide.
Ok, how many of you did I put to sleep ??? LOL :D

And I've ridden over 27,000 miles with only one side cover issue. Itgirl25's wouldn't seat for nothing. We ended up bungieing it. JBG lost his all together. Just saying, better safe than sorry. Thanks for turing me on to the railroad. I'm going back some weekend soon.

Here is the RR that I was telling you about. I think we were talking about the same one!

http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/

Not sure about your TS, maybe you were getting back after passing?

jamnjc3
13th July 2008, 15:12
We will be riding on Rt. 30 all the way. Even if you're not going, if anybody wants to hook up and ride a bit with us it's cool. There's a bar on top of the one Mountain that She really wanted to stop at last time, but we were trying to outrun the rain so we didn't stop. We booked too late this year so we didn't get the awesome hotel room we got last year..oh well, so we won't be in such a hurry to get there. lol.

The bar is called Mountain Top. Its really cool, and usually the tenders dress skimpy. On Sundays they have their PA abate meeting and there are lots of bikes. You can walk up behind the bar to these two platforms that they hangglide from. Stop in next time!! I ride up there alot on sundays.:smoke

drd1135
13th July 2008, 20:53
Just got back from G'burg. About 220 miles away, but most of it is VA 340, which is a pretty road. Now I need to catch up on some sleep before tomorrow.:p

I really liked the Sportster that won "best in class". The plate was GRL BIK or something like that. If the owner is a forum member, awesome bike.

Irondrake77
13th July 2008, 21:13
Well it's been a heck of a week! After all the fussing over my bike to get it ready to ride to Gettysburg it made the trip very well indeed.

We left Early Wednesday morning, but we didn't really get far, aboot 13 miles to Kings where we absolutely had to stop for breakfast

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0140.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0139.jpg

We topped off the gas tanks and started on our way again, aboot a few miles up the road I found my shifter wasn't there, the bolt had come loose. I tightened it up and would set locktite in it later at the hotel. We only stopped for a few smoke breaks and to take pictures

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0144.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0141.jpg

At this point it started to rain...alot. blech! We were soaked all teh way from Latrobe to Breezewood. We made our way slowly up the mountains.

At Sideling Hill on the Blue mountains we stopped at this little park stop to dry off and smoke a bit

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0145.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0146.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0147.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0148.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0149.jpg

It was still cold and misty and we made our way to the Mountain house Bar for lunch around 2:30.

After that we rode hard all the way into Gettysburg so we could dry off.

Aboot a few miles into town her Sporty started making a strange sound in 1st - 3rd gear. I had my suspicions aboot the Primary having enough fluid in it.

So the Next morning we called Battlefield Harley and took the bike in for a fluid change.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0151.jpg

Yep, she was all out of fluid...what's mor ethey discovered she had blown the gasket, so they had to take the whole thing off and replace the gasket beforte she could get new fluid in it. She was stuck there for an hour or so ( I was sent back to throw our clothes in the dryer) cost $140. Her bike turned out to be more of a pain then mine :laugh

We seen alot of Bikes, but to my count every 3rd to 4th bike was a sportster, and I only seen about 3 other bikes the whole weekend that were as old as mine. Including this Ironhead trike

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0161.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0162.jpg

That we seen while meeting up with the other XLF'ers for the ride (which we were too tired and sore to go on :( )

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0163.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0164.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0165.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0166.jpg

In all honesty My wife said almost every bike there looked show-room new, and like it was the first time these hundreds of bikes had been ridden. I got alot of looks at my Ironhead and more then a few comments from surprised people who learned that I had ridden the old thing all the way from Pittsburgh

We went to the fairgrounds a few times and seen the fireworks. we parked far off so we would be alone and close to where they were shooting them off from.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0170.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0171.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0177.jpg

I also got this nice new Leather belt with stamping

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0178.jpg

And so Early sunday we left to stay ahead of the rain

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0181.jpg

She wants to go back again next year, but she wants me to have a different bike, I said we'll see.

It was nice seeing a few people, and getting to ride so much without any real trouble. Till next time.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/HPIM0182.jpg

Ralphthe3rd
13th July 2008, 21:55
Awesome Pix man ! Glad to hear your bikes made it home safe. Too bad about spending the $$ on that dang oil leak....but ya know what they say about Harleys :D

klinesamuel
13th July 2008, 23:06
Sounds like everyone had a real good time this year. I wish I could have met up with you like I wanted but my bike had other plans.
I headed out of my house on Friday at about 10.30 AM to the make the 45 minute trip to Gettysburg (I live in York). I made it to Cross Keys which is half way to Gettysburg when I noticed something was strange. I went to make a stop at a traffic light and I had zero rear brakes. After managing to get it stopped using only the front brakes I look down to see fluid pouring out of my Primary from an unknown leak. I quickly made the decision to high tail it back home before I completely run out of fluid and to get the problem fixed.
Well, I make it home just fine and I put the bike up on my bike lift to get a better look see. It turned out to be the primary chain inspection window gasket had taken a dump on me. I thought this was strange since I had just installed a new clutch and that this was the only gasket I did not have to touch during the upgrade.
Well then I had to replace the rear brakes since they were now oil soaked. After all this I really was too tired to go back to Gettysburg and I still have not gone. So I will circle the date again for next year and hopefully everything will be good to go.

Sam in York

Ralphthe3rd
13th July 2008, 23:20
Hey Sam, why the new clutch ? How many miles are on your sporty ?

BTW- Sam, I'm sure your bike will be ready for the one year anniversary of the Carlisle Bike Fest ride WE went on last year....but please- stay OUT of the Corn Fields ! :doh

Sounds like everyone had a real good time this year. I wish I could have met up with you like I wanted but my bike had other plans.
I headed out of my house on Friday at about 10.30 AM to the make the 45 minute trip to Gettysburg (I live in York). I made it to Cross Keys which is half way to Gettysburg when I noticed something was strange. I went to make a stop at a traffic light and I had zero rear brakes. After managing to get it stopped using only the front brakes I look down to see fluid pouring out of my Primary from an unknown leak. I quickly made the decision to high tail it back home before I completely run out of fluid and to get the problem fixed.
Well, I make it home just fine and I put the bike up on my bike lift to get a better look see. It turned out to be the primary chain inspection window gasket had taken a dump on me. I thought this was strange since I had just installed a new clutch and that this was the only gasket I did not have to touch during the upgrade.
Well then I had to replace the rear brakes since they were now oil soaked. After all this I really was too tired to go back to Gettysburg and I still have not gone. So I will circle the date again for next year and hopefully everything will be good to go.

Sam in York

klinesamuel
13th July 2008, 23:45
Hey Sam, why the new clutch ? How many miles are on your sporty ?

BTW- Sam, I'm sure your bike will be ready for the one year anniversary of the Carlisle Bike Fest ride WE went on last year....but please- stay OUT of the Corn Fields ! :doh

Hi Ralph,
I found part of a brass rivet in my Primary fluid when I changed out the fluid. I'm referring to the brass rivets that hold the spring plate together inside the clutch pack. So it was a good opportunity to install the Energy One extra plate kit which works pretty nicely I might say.
As for the Carlisle ride I believe I will be ready. I am working on a top secret modification for my bike and I hope to have it ready for the ride...... It is very secret but if you promise not to tell anyone I will give you a hint. It's a ......... corn harvesting attachment, Ha!Ha! This sucker will pick, shuck, boil and butter the corn for us. When we get to the dealership we can all have corn on the cob.
Sorry, everybody for the inside joke but last year I went off the road and into a farmers Field. Luckily the only thing hurt was my pride. :banadanc
Hope to see you soon Ralph.

Sam in York

Sorry, forgot to add that my bike has 16,000 miles on it.

Danny3nose
13th July 2008, 23:50
Any you guys going to Mountainfest (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=262117)?

Ralphthe3rd
14th July 2008, 00:57
As I'll probably be at the Carlisle Bike Fest on either July 25th or 27th, and on July 26 I'll be at Hagerstown Speedway, Hagerstown, Md. for the GNC Flattrack Races !

Any you guys going to Mountainfest (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=262117)?

Ralphthe3rd
14th July 2008, 00:59
Sam, I'm glad you have a sense of humor about that mishap, coz it really coulda been Serious !

As for the Carlisle ride I believe I will be ready. I am working on a top secret modification for my bike and I hope to have it ready for the ride...... It is very secret but if you promise not to tell anyone I will give you a hint. It's a ......... corn harvesting attachment, Ha!Ha! This sucker will pick, shuck, boil and butter the corn for us. When we get to the dealership we can all have corn on the cob.
Sorry, everybody for the inside joke but last year I went off the road and into a farmers Field. Luckily the only thing hurt was my pride. :banadanc
Hope to see you soon Ralph.

Sam in York

Sorry, forgot to add that my bike has 16,000 miles on it.

johnnybgood
14th July 2008, 01:15
BTW- I've riden over 11,000miles and NO side cover issues. You really just need to make sure they are snapped in place correctly and the plastic tabs are functioning.

That USED to be the way I felt.......no more.

And I've ridden over 27,000 miles with only one side cover issue. Itgirl25's wouldn't seat for nothing. We ended up bungieing it. JBG lost his all together. Just saying, better safe than sorry.

Truer words never spoken

Ok, so let me get this straight, nobody had sidecover issues -until AFTER I left the group ? So tell me, what was the REST of the ride like ?

I lost my side cover on the way to Gettysburg on I-795 after hitting a huge "speedbump" at 80......didn't bother going back for it as traffic was very heavy, 4 lanes wide. Pretty sure that thing was history.

As far as the rest of the ride goes......well, you missed it. Pres got us onto some real sweepers (guess he was holding back) and we were roaring through those bad boys at 95 mph. :laugh:laugh........just joking. We rode back to Rt 30, stopped at the Mountain Top, rehydrated, and headed back to Gettysburg.

The bar is called Mountain Top. Its really cool, and usually the tenders dress skimpy.

+1 :clap:clap

Well it's been a heck of a week! After all the fussing over my bike to get it ready to ride to Gettysburg it made the trip very well indeed.

It was nice seeing a few people, and getting to ride so much without any real trouble. Till next time.

It was great meeting you guys. Too bad you couldn't make the ride with us.

Thanks for the great ride Pete. Juli's Rebel is the coolest one I've ever laid eyes on. Maybe we'll see you guys in OC.

John

Ralphthe3rd
14th July 2008, 01:41
Hey bro, I have a ladyfriend who just saw the latest pix(Gettysburg ride) of your sporty, with that bag on the sissybar, and she wanted to know who makes it ??? TIA

As far as the rest of the ride goes......well, you missed it. Pres got us onto some real sweepers (guess he was holding back) and we were roaring through those bad boys at 95 mph. :laugh:laugh........just joking. We rode back to Rt 30, stopped at the Mountain Top, rehydrated, and headed back to Gettysburg.

John

johnnybgood
14th July 2008, 01:52
Hey bro, I have a ladyfriend who just saw the latest pix(Gettysburg ride) of your sporty, with that bag on the sissybar, and she wanted to know who makes it ??? TIA

It's made by Leatherworks. They are fairly expensive new. I lucked out and won it used on ebay for about $40

http://http://www.leatherworksinc.com/Sissy%20Bar%20Bags.php (http://www.leatherworksinc.com/Sissy%20Bar%20Bags.php)

Ralphthe3rd
14th July 2008, 02:02
I just passed the info onto her...

It's made by Leatherworks. They are fairly expensive new. I lucked out and won it used on ebay for about $40

http://http://www.leatherworksinc.com/Sissy%20Bar%20Bags.php (http://www.leatherworksinc.com/Sissy%20Bar%20Bags.php)

itgirl25
14th July 2008, 05:20
hey gang! thanks for letting me join ya on the ride this year. i had a great time. you all are a great bunch of people. thanks are extended to brad for my much needed 'bungie cord' fix. i definately need to get out on twistier roads and brush up on my cornering skills. took a couple pretty wide on them mountain roads. still workin' on breaking this new bike in yet though, as you guys already know. :laugh i'm looking forward to doing it all again next year. thanks everyone!!

Ralphthe3rd
14th July 2008, 06:15
Hey Kim, we can get a bunch together for a couple more rides this season. And I personally would be happy to take you on another midstate twisty road ride. Just let me know some weekend you'd be free. And the invite is even open to your hubby on his Fatboy as well :D

i definately need to get out on twistier roads and brush up on my cornering skills. took a couple pretty wide on them mountain roads. still workin' on breaking this new bike in yet though, as you guys already know. :laugh i'm looking forward to doing it all again next year. thanks everyone!!

itgirl25
15th July 2008, 03:06
Hey Kim, we can get a bunch together for a couple more rides this season. And I personally would be happy to take you on another midstate twisty road ride. Just let me know some weekend you'd be free. And the invite is even open to your hubby on his Fatboy as well :D

thanks for the invite! weekends are hard to come by for me though. i work every single one. i'll keep ya in mind though, if i get a free one.

Ralphthe3rd
15th July 2008, 04:28
Well then are you FREE during the week instead ? I can arrange a weekday ride just as easy, although finding other riders to go with- may not be as easy...
thanks for the invite! weekends are hard to come by for me though. i work every single one. i'll keep ya in mind though, if i get a free one.

johnnybgood
23rd July 2008, 03:02
I was downloading some pics off my camera and came across this pic of the bike parade on Saturday evening. I thought the whole thing sounded 'kinda hokey, but it was actually fun. People were lined-up thick all the way from the sports complex to the downtown square.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/2008_0721Laney0002.JPG

John

itgirl25
23rd July 2008, 03:38
I was downloading some pics off my camera and came across this pic of the bike parade on Saturday evening. I thought the whole thing sounded 'kinda hokey, but it was actually fun. People were lined-up thick all the way from the sports complex to the downtown square.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/2008_0721Laney0002.JPG

John

did you get in on the parade or just watch it? it was my goal to ride in it this year, but i didn't go up on saturday. maybe next year.

CaptEvo
23rd July 2008, 03:49
That is one strange looking bike in front of the LEO.

acenorm
23rd July 2008, 12:17
That wasn't a parade, it was a race. The bikes were going faster than the speed limit down Steinwehr Ave. I think they need to slow it down a little on that part of the route.

Best Regards,
Norm

johnnybgood
23rd July 2008, 12:43
That wasn't a parade, it was a race. The bikes were going faster than the speed limit down Steinwehr Ave. I think they need to slow it down a little on that part of the route

Agreed

They were rolling around the square fairly fast also......I was getting a little dizzy. One guy came around too wide and almost ran into the crowd!!

John

jamnjc3
24th July 2008, 03:36
That is one strange looking bike in front of the LEO.

That bike was made by one of the guys from I.C.E (independent cycles east) or some know them as Winebrenners, in Hanover PA. I personally think its ugly as sin. One of the guys from there, JEFF built one bad ass tracker style bike that is taking every award imaginable. Go check out there web site. The nice one is called something like Hammered Traker. The pics do it no justice. They will do anything custom you want for your bike or make you one, reasonable prices to. Just a little FYI. Later, James:smoke