PDA

View Full Version : chopped my cam cover

jduffy01
20th March 2006, 22:43
the cam cover i bought came today. took me less than an hour to chop it down. i left a little more than i had to on the bottom, about 1/4 inch. doesnt look bad though. im always hesitant to get that close in case i screw up. im thinking i may grind a little away once i get a new grinding disc

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/jduffy01/choppedcamcover.jpg

Preacher
21st March 2006, 00:09
Looks like it came out well.....Good deal!

What year is your bike? What are you doing with the old cover?

jduffy01
21st March 2006, 00:14
its an 05. the covers are the same for 04-06. im not sure yet what i will do with the old one. it will be a month or two till i get this one on, gonna wait for better weather and do it outside.

torxster
21st March 2006, 00:52
Looks good!! I'm gonna do that sometime, I've seen some really cool "cover art".

TNsportster
21st March 2006, 02:19
Doing that myself soon!
Looks good, did you repaint it or is that the original finish?

jduffy01
21st March 2006, 02:28
repainted it with bbq paint like i did my motor

txsporty
21st March 2006, 02:41
Looks Good!!!:clap :clap :clap :clap

Now we want to see it on your Scoot!!!:D

hybriDatsun350
21st March 2006, 02:53
That looks great. Trimming my cam cover is one of those things that is on my to-do list, and this pushes me one step closer to just doing it! Keep up the good work, and hopefully we'll get to see some pics of it on the bike.:clap

Everett
22nd March 2006, 00:55
looks good. my dad did mine years ago. usually people do a 2nd look as they walk by it. then they ask how and such. you'll get it too.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/everettlowell/SPORTY.jpg

Preacher
22nd March 2006, 01:17
looks good. my dad did mine years ago. usually people do a 2nd look as they walk by it. then they ask how and such. you'll get it too.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/everettlowell/SPORTY.jpg

Everett, your bike is look pretty good, mano....

You working on a rear fender or are you going to get rid of those fender struts?

jduffy01
22nd March 2006, 01:33
how much fluid dumps out when yah take the cover off? debating on trying to do it in the house.

RedRider
22nd March 2006, 01:45
how much fluid dumps out when yah take the cover off? debating on trying to do it in the house.

If the scoot is parked on the jiffy stand (as opposed to using a bike jack) you will only get a minimal amount of oil that drips out because of the leaning of the bike.. A couple rags will catch all of it.

If ya use a bike jack, expect a little more, maybe 4-6 ounces.

jduffy01
22nd March 2006, 01:57
sounds like it will be quick and pretty clean. gasket was just under 5 bucks if anyone was wondering.

Moved On
22nd March 2006, 02:00
how much fluid dumps out when yah take the cover off? debating on trying to do it in the house.None if you drain the oil out of the engine first. Time for an oil change anyway.

Gazza

Preacher
22nd March 2006, 02:04
sounds like it will be quick and pretty clean. gasket was just under 5 bucks if anyone was wondering.

Hmm.... I was wondering... someone on here said something about it being in the $40.00 range. Nice to know it is cheap, means I can do it tomorrow or Thursday :wonderlan

Moved On
22nd March 2006, 02:09
I can't remember what I paid, seems like it wasn't too expensive. I bought it from an indie though rather than from HD. I needed to buy two, because I slipped on the ice carrying the first one out to the barn and bent the heck out of it
:shhhh :doh

Make sure that you keep track of which bolts you take out of which holes. They are different lengths. Best thing I've ever heard to do is draw a picture of the cam cover on a piece of cardboard with holes where the bolts go, then as you remove the bolts, stick them into the cardboard in the right positions.

Also make sure that you get the right year gasket. Not all models have the same oil passages in the edge of the cover. You want to make sure that the gasket you get has holes that line up with the oil passages !!!

Gazza

chuckp
22nd March 2006, 02:36
I just priced em at $5 from the stealer - Preacher, I gave you that wrong price - I was looking at some full gasket set and got my wires crossed.

Preacher
22nd March 2006, 02:43
I just priced em at $5 from the stealer - Preacher, I gave you that wrong price - I was looking at some full gasket set and got my wires crossed.

I knew I heard it somewhere.... Does the local stealer have them in stock? I'll have to call around tomorrow now that I am on vacation...

V A C A T I O N ! ! ! !

Sorry... couldn't help it. A week off, my wife and son gone for 3 days of that week.... I am doing some serious work on the bike this week... Soooo stoked :banana

jduffy01
22nd March 2006, 02:48
my dealer had them in stock. 04+ are all the same

chuckp
22nd March 2006, 11:45
The one on Independence near me has em, I haven't been able to get over there to get one yet. Home with a sick kid today. Well, she's fine now but had a fever yesterday so daycare makes em sit out a day so I'll be daddy caycare till I go to work at 3.

Everett
23rd March 2006, 01:35
i love the look of a chopped cam cover. i chopped my fender a bit and slapped it back in. i'll have to start my own thread with some pics of these days.