PDA

View Full Version : How I Got That Scar...

Crash03
21st March 2006, 07:23
I told everyone in the Intro Forum that I would tell the story of my crash and post a few pics. SO here goes...

It was the first nice day of the Year, March 25th, 2003 and the temp was in the 70's! I got the bike out and had already done a Pre-season inspection. It was the weekend so I took my daughter, who was ten at the time, we "geared up" and lit out. We road all day, stopping for lunch and just having a good time. At around dinner I called the wife and told her to bring my other daughter and meet up at a restaurant near our home. We had a great meal, but I had to take off back home to try and get some shut eye before working another midnite shift. The rest of the family wasn't done eating, so I told them to just follow when the y finished. I made it about a mile down the road, when a guy in an 88 Chevy Caprice wagon, heading the opposite direction, decided his need to make a left turn was more important than my need to continue living. He made his turn, and for a brief second, his monster car and my little Sporty tried to occupy the same little piece of real estate. Well you all know how that ended right? My left leg got crushed in between the bike and the bumper of his car, and was pretty cut most of the way off. I was lifeflighted to a top trauma center and kept in the ICU for 2 wks. Now, 3 yrs and 8 or 9 surgeries later, including a titamium tibia, 2 plates at my ankle and 1 on the outside of my foot, a muscle transplant, and 2 skin graft, Frankenfoot and I can almost walk without a limp. Of course it hurts most every day, and SOME days it damn near KILLS me, but... it' still attached.
By the way, his excuse? He didnt SEE me. Said my lights weren't on. I tried telling them that you CAN'T turn the lights off on a 98 Sporty, Hell I even had running lights! But...
Anyway, that's what happened. I didn't get a new bike until last fall, when I just got that NEED. You know? SO I bought a VERY gently used 04 1200 XL, and my daughters can't WAIT to ride!
The picture attached is pretty greusome. You've been warned. I'll post some of the bike, etc. from home later.

GOTWA
21st March 2006, 08:01
Thanks for sharing the story. Glad you're still around to tell it! Good on ya for getting back in the saddle.

So whatever happened to the dumbass driver?

Incidentally, for those who may not know, a quick visual hot-shock check of a light will tell you instantly if the light was on at the time of the crash. It will leave burn marks inside the glass and have a melted filament. Investigators should be able to find enough of the debris to make an assessment.

bplinson
21st March 2006, 08:25
Glad you made it through and still have your leg. My brother-in-law was not as lucky when a a car decided to make a left hand turn out of a parking lot. He lost his leg but is still living.

You are a strong man for getting back on the bike.

I have moved this to the Safety catagorie where it will be searchable and will not get lost in all the off topic.

whispanic
21st March 2006, 08:32
Welcome back to 2 wheels man.

I have the thoughts of what can happen everytime I ride. For some reason it doesnt stop me but it does make me more aware.

Adios

Crash03
21st March 2006, 08:55
Thanks for sharing the story. Glad you're still around to tell it! Good on ya for getting back in the saddle..
Same here! Wasn't sure I WOULD ever ride again...

So whatever happened to the dumbass driver?.
Other than needing clean drawers? Nothing. It was a very low speed crash, so he wasn't hurt. And after he told the officer he didn't think I had my lights on (remember, there IS no "off" switch on a 98 Sporty, only "high" and "low" beam), they decided the crash was "mostly" my fault! And I was in no condition to fight about it.

Incidentally, for those who may not know, a quick visual hot-shock check of a light will tell you instantly if the light was on at the time of the crash. It will leave burn marks inside the glass and have a melted filament. Investigators should be able to find enough of the debris to make an assessment.
Well it CAN do that, but it won't always, especially in a low impact crash where the light doesn't "pop". The investigating officer's bright idea was to turn the key, then flick the "on/off" switch. :rolleyes: When the headlight didn't come on he determined that the other driver was right. I didn't have strength enough to point out that half the lighting system was under the front wheels of the car, and therefore there probably wasn't a complete circuit anywhere!

GOTWA
21st March 2006, 09:05
Well it CAN do that, but it won't always, especially in a low impact crash where the light doesn't "pop".

Yep, very true. Sucks you got the injuries and the bad rap outa the deal. Man, that kind of stuff pisses me off for sure.

DustyJacket
21st March 2006, 11:02
Really glad your daughter wasn't on the bike.
Glad you are still with us.

Chuck
21st March 2006, 11:21
Crash, I don't get it. If he made a left in front of you, what's the headlight have to do with not citing him. If it was night out then there should be a way to tell if your lights were in working order. I think it sucks. We all make mistakes but most of us pay for them. Of course if he has some morals, I am sure he lives with that accidents memories from time time.
Glad your back at it, man.

Jt1200r
21st March 2006, 11:54
glad youre ok . i t-boned a car instead of the car hitting me

Sportster Girl
21st March 2006, 12:39
they decided the crash was "mostly" my fault! And I was in no condition to fight about it.

Wow. Really can't see how they could think it was your fault.....but sometimes the authorities use that fuzzy logic.

Very glad you came out of it ok, and thanks for sharing your story. We all need to keep ourselves at DEFCON 2.

Bikerchk
21st March 2006, 13:01
So, now that you have had all this time to relive this a million times in your head, what will you do different going forward? I ask this as a new rider with only 1700 miles under my belt. Someone else told me they always watch the tires if they think a vehicle is going to turn in front of them. I think this is better than watching the driver him/herself as eye contact certainly does not guarantee their brain has "computed" seeing you, but I'm wondering what you will watch now and what other more seasoned riders watch in this situation.

Glad you are back on the bike! How is your family handling it?

gymrat523
21st March 2006, 13:52
welcome back, I had an accident and was in shock trama for a week last year and my wife just about had a hard attack when I began riding again how is your family doing with it, your wife is a great lady to understand.

DM-SC
21st March 2006, 13:59
Welcome back to 2 wheels man.

I have the thoughts of what can happen everytime I ride. For some reason it doesnt stop me but it does make me more aware.

Adios

Yep, I think about it while I'm riding too. I use that fear to make me a better rider.

This is one area of our lives where learning from others experiences is MANDITORY.

H@mbone!
21st March 2006, 14:02
Well sucks this happened to you, but glad to here your still with us today, and praise god that it happened when your daugter wasn't on there she may of not been so fortunate. Also glad to here your back on a bike again

carl2124
21st March 2006, 18:35
Im glad you made it out alive and your daughter was not on it at the time...
I hope you sued and got some compensation for your injuries..

bearsfan
21st March 2006, 18:56
It's a sad state of affairs when the majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by OTHER PEOPLE IN CARS, and yet it still comes out as the motorcyclist's fault.

I'm just glad you survived, and are back in the saddle. Please do ride carefully!

I know your post will serve as a constant reminder to ride carefully and safely!

I've heard elsewhere to watch the wheels instead of the drivers at intersections too...I see that wheel move at all and I'm looking for an escape route! Only trouble is those damn cars with the "spinner" wheels...

FSZEKE302
21st March 2006, 19:28
Wow, thanks for sharing the story. I gota give you credit, don't know if I could return to riding after that. Glad you lived to tell the story.

Albie1200
21st March 2006, 19:31
So now that you are prety much healed, how about some street justice? I know if I was in your shoes(no pun intended) that guys car would suddenly somehow get suger in his tank or the oil would mysteriously disappear from tthe motor. Might not solve anything, but it would make me feel better!

Crash03
22nd March 2006, 05:16
Crash, I don't get it. If he made a left in front of you, what's the headlight have to do with not citing him. If it was night out then there should be a way to tell if your lights were in working order. I think it sucks. We all make mistakes but most of us pay for them. Of course if he has some morals, I am sure he lives with that accidents memories from time time.
Glad your back at it, man.It was JUST staring to get dark (dusk). I was, (I think), the 3rd vehicle in a line of traffic. I was behind an old S-10 Blazer. The guy coming the other way, said I didn't have my lights on and that's why he didn't see me. The cop tried turning the lights on/off after the crash (Remember there IS no "off"), but several of the lights had been ripped off, so there probably wasn't a complete electrical circuit left when he turned the key... And like I told him, "It won't START either. Does that mean it wasn't RUNNING when he hit me?"

Crash03
22nd March 2006, 05:21
So, now that you have had all this time to relive this a million times in your head, what will you do different going forward?
Wow, that IS a good question. But in this case I think its more of what I'll do the SAME. Because of the car in front of me, I never really saw HIM coming either. Not much I could do about that. And I could try to get out of the way because I wasriding along with a barrier to my right, nowhere to go. But I was wearing a REAL helmet, GOOD shoes, long pants, and a solid leather jacket. Other than imapct from the car, I had NO other injuries. The Dr said if I hadn't been wearing such good shoes, I would have lost my foot for sure.
How is your family handling it?
Well my daughters can't WAIT to ride again this summer, but I think it'll be awhile before I'M ready to ride with a passenger. And we have to deal every day with my new "limitations", that's probably the toughest part.

Crash03
22nd March 2006, 05:23
So now that you are prety much healed, how about some street justice? I know if I was in your shoes(no pun intended) that guys car would suddenly somehow get suger in his tank or the oil would mysteriously disappear from tthe motor. Might not solve anything, but it would make me feel better!
Odd thing is, this was a guy we know. Not like a close friend, but a member of our church. His family stopped at the house a couple times and brought food over. I really don't have hard feelings...

Bikerchk
22nd March 2006, 14:32
Glad to hear about no hard feelings and don't forget to turn the headlight on before riding! (the fact they called you at fault, third in a line of cars when he turned left in front of you, just blows my mind)(not to mention that they bought the lights not being on theory)

Gone
22nd March 2006, 15:23
Crash03,

Glad you made it through that mess, and happy to hear that you are back on 2 wheels. thank you for the reminder of the consequenses we all face. I hope your summer is filled with many good riding days, with or with out a passengers. take care.