PDA

View Full Version : Buell Lightning and Trickle Chargers

klessa
30th March 2006, 16:02
I am currently a THREE-bike owner :D , I have a nice relatively new Buell Lightning at my house sitting next to the 883C and the Honda, "in storage" for a friend... he bought it on ebay and is planning to have it chopped. It's been sitting for over a month now... I'm not even slightly interested in 'race' biking, and the thing sort of scares me, I'm definitely a 'cruiser' type of rider.

Anyway, I obviously need to get a bit over that and ride the thing a bit before it completely drains out of all charge. I'm not incredibly engine/mechanically inclined. Someone recently mentioned a "trickle charger" -- I'm assuming it's just a way to charge up your motorcycle batteries when you've left them sitting for awhile, something I can pick up at an auto parts store? Are there any particulars about what type of "trickle charger" is best for motorcycles (brand name or model recommendations would be appreciated), or in using it on a Buell? Anyone want to offer riding tips for someone who's a bit nervous at the prospect of hitting the throttle too hard and popping an inadvertent wheelie on this thing once I do get it charged up? I know, I know, it's a "tough" problem to have too many bikes and too much power. Feel my pain.

aswracing
30th March 2006, 16:10
There's a popular brand called a "Battery Tender" that works good on motorcycle batteries, that's what I'd reccommend. Most any bike shop should have them or be able to get them quickly.

Tucson_Tim
31st March 2006, 04:38
There's a popular brand called a "Battery Tender" that works good on motorcycle batteries, that's what I'd reccommend. Most any bike shop should have them or be able to get them quickly.

Yep. Battery Tender Plus is a good one. I have 2 Tenders because I have 6 bikes so I rotate the 2 chargers amongst my bikes. Never had a problem with my Battery Tenders.

socal1200R
31st March 2006, 04:48
Another vote from me on the Battery Tender brand. I've used them over 10 years, starting with a '93 Ducati Superlight I used to have, then through four Moto Guzzis ('74 Eldo LAPD, '78 V50, '95 1100 Sport, '98 V11 EV), and now on my '05 1200R. The bikes have had to sit for months at a time when I was TDY, and the bikes never failed to start, at least due to a dead battery. IMHO, they're well worth the investment, especially with the quick connect leads.