PDA

View Full Version : Taking Bike out of storage, quick ?

PVD24
2nd April 2006, 20:03
Hi Guys, and Gals, I have an 06 883r that I bought late last summer. I only put on about 450 miles before the weather turned in New England. I put the bike in storage in a heated garage, and put stabil in the full gas tank. I really didn't do anything else to it, escept cover it. I didn't take out the battery, because I honestly didn't have a clue how to do it and I didn't want to go through the hassle of reprogramming the alarm. What do u think my chances are that 1. the bike will start up and 2. any issues or concerns that I should be worried about.

Thanks for all your help
-PVD24

CBAS5
2nd April 2006, 20:07
Did you make sure the stabilized gas ran through the carb? You'll probably have to charge up the battery, but it should start. You never know until you go to try it out. Other people with more experience than me should chime in.

rider31
2nd April 2006, 20:19
I put mine away in November, also in New England. I used the stabilizer and disconnected the battery (not removed). the bike started great, two short cranks and it was a poppin'. Let it set with the key on for about 30 seconds or so before trying to start, if not the engine may not crank (it'll appear as a dead battery, but isn't).

I've had other bikes without removing the battery and they always started.

I think you'll be fine and have an easy start.

Now go ahead and put on some more miles.
Hi Guys, and Gals, I have an 06 883r that I bought late last summer. I only put on about 450 miles before the weather turned in New England. I put the bike in storage in a heated garage, and put stabil in the full gas tank. I really didn't do anything else to it, escept cover it. I didn't take out the battery, because I honestly didn't have a clue how to do it and I didn't want to go through the hassle of reprogramming the alarm. What do u think my chances are that 1. the bike will start up and 2. any issues or concerns that I should be worried about.

Thanks for all your help
-PVD24

gusotto
2nd April 2006, 20:59
When getting the bike ready for storage next year, consider adding a "motorcycle" battery tender. It will keep the battery charged without overcharging it. In the long run, the battery will last longer.

I'm running the original battery in my "02 Sporty and it has never given any indication of losing power (knock on wood.)

Down the line, I will replace it but it's been fine in the Iowa weather. I do keep it stored in a warm area during winter. That has to help.

PVD24
2nd April 2006, 21:00
thanks for the responses... I am praying that it starts. Should I open the fuel first, or start it with what is in the lines at the time. Just want to make sure I go in the right order.

PVD24
2nd April 2006, 21:09
here are some pics of the beauty...lol

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/738/harley0279ac.jpg

http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/5825/HARLEY006.jpg

Moved On
2nd April 2006, 21:24
When getting the bike ready for storage next year, consider adding a "motorcycle" battery tender. It will keep the battery charged without overcharging it. In the long run, the battery will last longer.

I'm running the original battery in my "02 Sporty and it has never given any indication of losing power (knock on wood.)

Down the line, I will replace it but it's been fine in the Iowa weather. I do keep it stored in a warm area during winter. That has to help.I'm gonna recommend the opposite.... If you're storing the bike in the cold, just disconnect the negative wire. You won't need a battery tender if the battery is kept cold. The colder the battery the slower the chemical reactions that could drain a disconnected battery.

I have an '03. It's never been on a tender or charger of any sort. It's also never been taken out of the bike (except for access to other things I was taking apart). All I do is take the negative lead off.

BTW: If the weather man says it's going to be 30 below for a while, then you might want to bring it inside so it doesn't freeze and crack. I was out of town a couple years ago when we had a week of weather hitting 20 below and no trouble thankfully then.

Gazza

Dlish
2nd April 2006, 22:01
check the tire presures too...

good looking machine.

shotgun46
2nd April 2006, 22:05
when i park mine i just pulg the tender in but i do ride a couple times a month get it out and start it then go for a ride ! check your air in the tires !

SgtRick
2nd April 2006, 22:11
Thank God I live in Texas.

shotgun46
2nd April 2006, 22:53
texas ! hey i been there and i loved it then i went to mexico !! not that bad : ) michigan weather sucks 1 day 70 the next 43 and rain again !!! sheezzzz !!! been riding off & on all winter but cant stay out that long heated stuff nope \ i like getting a cold all the time !!!

GOTWA
3rd April 2006, 04:26
Ran man up into the shed sometime in October. Figured I'd get her again a time or two before the end of the year. But work, weather, and my back had other ideas.

Rolled her out of the shed in March, cranked the throttle a couple times. All was good and right.

It's a simple machine. Don't over think it. :tour

PVD24
3rd April 2006, 17:57
Ok, so I went to the storage unit, took the bike out, checked the tires and put the key in. I let it sit fo 30 seconds and then put the switch to run and pressed start and NADA... Not enough juice to start it. So my buddy came by, jumped it.. and I was good to go.. The only thing is that the engine light stayed on and a red key stayed on the whole time. It was a rough ride, felt as if the fuel was not getting to where it was supposed to. (then all of a sudden, the power kicked, and I was good again)
I got to my driveway, parked and shut it off. I tried to turn it back on and NADA... I will go by a battery tender and leave it on.. but Im more concerned with the engine light... will it go away with a charged battery?

Sportster Girl
3rd April 2006, 18:46
OThe only thing is that the engine light stayed on and a red key stayed on the whole time.

but Im more concerned with the engine light... will it go away with a charged battery?

If it's the key light, it's the security system. It's probably just confused with the dead battery and the jump. You can probably cycle the key on and off with your new battery and it will go out. You may have to consult the owners manual to get the sequence.

(unless you have some type of brake light/turn signal combo system that can make the security light stay on....)

GOTWA
3rd April 2006, 21:28
Buy a new battery.

xena
3rd April 2006, 21:36
Buy a new battery.

I'm with him. I'd invest in a new battery before I spent the green on a battery tender.

Snuffy
3rd April 2006, 22:23
Almost 500 miles and been setting I think I'd change the oil but thats just me

PVD24
4th April 2006, 02:56
how much does a new battery cost? any good websites to get them from?