PDA

View Full Version : Installing Sparto Tail Light on Bobbed '03 Fender

MidWest XL
2nd April 2006, 23:35
I'll be installing a bobbed rear fender soon, and of course by doing so, losing the stock tail light. I want to keep the factory turn signal's functionality, but from what I read, they plug into the tail light's circuit board. Since the Sparto's lense is so small, I'd also like to keep my Kuryakyn run-turn-brake module working too.

For those of you that have a relocated tail light or Sparto and kept the turn signals, what did you do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated for this electrically challenged dimwit.

Thanks in advance.

martian
2nd April 2006, 23:52
curcuit board in tail light is just for connections....lose it and just splice...use a test meter or get service manual to tell you color codes...
black is ground
violet is signal
brown is signal
red yellow is tag i think
blue is brake i think
orange not used bit is also tag running...

verify before hooking up...

Moved On
3rd April 2006, 01:59
Martian is close...

Blue is tail light
Red/Yellow is brake
Violet is left
Brown is right
Black is ground
Orange is tail for international models not used domestic.

When I installed my Sparto I put three crimp on barrel connectors inside the taillight for it and left four barrel connectors under the fender for the turn signals. If you leave connectors under the fender, make sure you use dielectric grease in them to keep the water out, and regrease them regularly.

The sparto tail light has two wires. One for brake and one for tail (I can't remember which is which but it doesn't matter much). There is no ground wire. It's designed to be grounded through the fender.. yea the fender with all the paint on it :rolleyes: Do yourself a big favor... take the light apart, drill a small hole in the back of the bulb socket and solder a ground wire onto it. You won't have the problems that some other folks have mentioned here that way.

I run a Kuryakyn brake unit too. I started using it after I got the sparto, because it's not as bright as the stock taillight. I also didn't think the bulb socket was as sollidly mounted, so I expected more frequent bulb failures, but that hasn't been an issue.

There are three holes needed to mount the sparto tail light. I used the passenger seat mounting hole for one and drilled two new ones for the rear bolts. I also drilled a couple holes in the plate holder and in my licnse plate to mount that. The holder on the sparto light isn't wide enough to reach the original plate holes.

If you have a detachable solo rack or ever plan on getting one... then you should mount the tail light a little further back. I can't mount my solo rack right now, I need about an extra quarter inch of clearance.

Good luck... post pics when you're done...
Gazza

MidWest XL
3rd April 2006, 03:34
Thanks, Gary.

I want to make sure I get this right in my head; the 3 crimp connectors you installed in (or from) the tail light were for the tail light, brake light & new ground wire you soldered?. And then I'll have to splice the 3 wires from the tail light into the harness? If so, that makes sense.

I'm still a bit foggy here on the turn signals, so please bear with me because I'm not too smart. Looking at my FSM, it looks like each turn signal is wired into the tail light circuit board through a connector plug. Are we cutting those connector plugs off? Why are you leaving 4 connectors for the turn signals? How is power run to them once they are disconnected from the circuit board?

Now I'm really confused...:frownthre

Swankster
3rd April 2006, 03:38
Badlands...................................

Moved On
3rd April 2006, 05:45
I want to make sure I get this right in my head; the 3 crimp connectors you installed in (or from) the tail light were for the tail light, brake light & new ground wire you soldered?. And then I'll have to splice the 3 wires from the tail light into the harness? If so, that makes sense.Yep, sorta... The harness is long enough to reach up and out the hole that you will drill for the wires under the light (I forgot to mention that hole). You will have to splice three whips onto the black wire though so that you can add a barrel connector for the new tailight ground wire and the ground wire for each turn signal.

I'm still a bit foggy here on the turn signals, so please bear with me because I'm not too smart. Looking at my FSM, it looks like each turn signal is wired into the tail light circuit board through a connector plug. Are we cutting those connector plugs off? Why are you leaving 4 connectors for the turn signals? How is power run to them once they are disconnected from the circuit board?You will cut the circuit board connector off the main harness, and off the end of each turn signal wire pair. That leaves the main harness with 6 wires of which you will use 5. The taillight has 3 wires (counting the new ground) and each signal has 2 wires. So you just need to hook those 5 wires from the harness up to the 7 wires from the lights.

The blue and red wires go to the new tail light. The orange wire gets capped off (unused, but it has power so insulate the end well). The violet wire goes to the left signal. The brown wire goes to the right signal. The black wire needs to have three whips spliced into it. One whip goes to the taillight, one goes to the left signal and the other goes to the right signal.

Gazza

MidWest XL
3rd April 2006, 11:32
Thanks for all the help, Gary. Great schematic too.

MidWest XL
14th May 2006, 15:12
As promised here is the follow-up to my original posting.
Thanks to Gary's great schematic, the factory FSM and help from a buddy we got it all buttoned up.
Since he had recently wired up his '30 hot rod, and is now in my eyes "the man", I went back to my buddy's house to install the new fender and wire up the tail light. He's the same guy that bobbed the fender for me.
We did a really sweet job of the wiring. All connections were made with male & female spade connectors that were encased in plastic covers. We coated all connections with synthetic grease prior to the final assembly. All the wiring went through the fender and tucked up nicely inside the tail light housing, out of harmís way. All wire cables under the fender clipped back into the factory clips. The tail light is actually very bright especially when the brake is applied. We also removed the splash guard from the front of the rear fender & pop riveted it on to the new fender. Just like a factory install.
Oh, and I discovered how the rear turnsignals are mounted - no thanks to the FSM.
I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Here's a couple of pics at his house. I'll post up more when I get home.
Oh yeah, if you don't recognize it as my bike, I forgot to mention that Junior has gone from the Silver-over-Black 100th anniv. paint scheme to straight-up Black & Chrome. The rebirth of Junior is complete (for now):banana

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/SkyjacktZJ/9f2506e7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/SkyjacktZJ/0a4ae91e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/SkyjacktZJ/a2d95ee6.jpg

dwardy
14th May 2006, 17:00
That bike looks schweet! Nicely done.

MidWest XL
16th May 2006, 11:33
Thanks. I do appreciate it.

snowman
16th May 2006, 12:13
Yep, bike is rockin' :banana :banana :banana

drakulina
3rd November 2009, 06:35
Yep, sorta... The harness is long enough to reach up and out the hole that you will drill for the wires under the light (I forgot to mention that hole). You will have to splice three whips onto the black wire though so that you can add a barrel connector for the new tailight ground wire and the ground wire for each turn signal.

You will cut the circuit board connector off the main harness, and off the end of each turn signal wire pair. That leaves the main harness with 6 wires of which you will use 5. The taillight has 3 wires (counting the new ground) and each signal has 2 wires. So you just need to hook those 5 wires from the harness up to the 7 wires from the lights.

The blue and red wires go to the new tail light. The orange wire gets capped off (unused, but it has power so insulate the end well). The violet wire goes to the left signal. The brown wire goes to the right signal. The black wire needs to have three whips spliced into it. One whip goes to the taillight, one goes to the left signal and the other goes to the right signal.

Gazza

thanks for the info.

jpbaily1
6th May 2010, 02:31
Nice job, I will have mine on by the weekend.

mee73novass
19th January 2012, 22:50
Nice work, you boys just helped me figured out my problems on my 2000 XL1200C. Thanks!