PDA

View Full Version : 2k+ brakes on 99- XLs

Ray Kimbro
3rd April 2006, 22:18
Folks -

I'm in the process of acquiring parts to mount the 2K+ front caliper on my '95 project bike. I'm curious about a couple things:

1) I've purchased the appropriate fork lowers - and they're on the way. Is the spacing/axle diameter @ the mounts the same as the pre 2K XLs?
2) I'm assuming that the 2k+ caliper will work fine w/an earlier rotor -
3) I'm assuming that the 2K+ caliper will be OK w/the earlier master cylinder.

When it's time for a tire change - I'll be swapping to a 2K+ axle/spacers as I mount the sealed-bearing wheel up front.

Comments?

Ray Kimbro

thatbikerguy
3rd April 2006, 22:37
bump bump...

Trout
3rd April 2006, 23:20

Old rotors and new rotors are the same outside diameter and thickness but have different center holes... bigger hole on the newer style rotor. So, you can mount a new rotor on an old wheel, but you cannot mount an old rotor on a new wheel.

Trout
3rd April 2006, 23:23

Yes, as long as the earlier master was for a dual setup. The dual masters are 11/16" bore and the single masters are 9/16" bore.

toe
3rd April 2006, 23:45
Folks -

I'm in the process of acquiring parts to mount the 2K+ front caliper on my '95 project bike. I'm curious about a couple things:

1) I've purchased the appropriate fork lowers - and they're on the way. Is the spacing/axle diameter @ the mounts the same as the pre 2K XLs?

When it's time for a tire change - I'll be swapping to a 2K+ axle/spacers as I mount the sealed-bearing wheel up front.

Comments?

Ray Kimbro

1) You might need slightly different spacers, but the axle should work, trial fit it to find out.
2) Yes, the earlier rotors contact area was wider, so you can do that. The problem is using a new style rotor (00+) with old stock calipers
3) Yes, 99 master is same as 00

sage
4th April 2006, 01:12
FWIW, the original 5/8" single disc master on my '96 works -great- with an '03 1200S dual disc setup. Try it out. Bet ya like it......