PDA

View Full Version : Question for the experts

iron68
8th February 2005, 17:29
I tore my 900 down to re-ring it for another season . She is at .070 now, not good. She'll go at least one more season on this bore, not scored or anything, but next time I might be screwed. :frownone

Does anybody know if I can sleeve the jugs next time or should I start my quest for some less used ones. That should be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

flathead45
8th February 2005, 17:44
I run into 900 jugs at swapmeets alot , I think this would be your best bet
as far as sleaves I don't know of ,or ever heard of anyone who has done it so I'm not sure if it can be done

try doing a google search to see if any one makes new castings

iron68
8th February 2005, 18:22
Flathead, If you run across some let me know. I don't really see much ironhead stuff here in the Pacific Northwest. The last motorcyle swapmeet I was at didn't have much @ all.

I will search for castings, but seeings as the price of a set of rings is astronomical I am not hopefull for new ones.

Thanks

cbrunson
8th February 2005, 19:32
If I remember right, I think I've seen them in a parts book. I'll check tonight. That reminds me of my '58. Top end rebuild every spring. Is that the beast in your avatar? That is a sweet chop.

iron68
8th February 2005, 21:50
That's my baby in the avatar. I'd sure hate to trade the old 900 out for a "modern" 1000, but they seem a little more plentiful parts wise.

74FeHeadXLH
8th February 2005, 22:34
Hey iron68...this by no means makes me an expert, but I just looked in the '04 V-Twin catalog and found two sets of NEW 900 cylinders you're looking for pt #'s11-2605 as a kit w/o heads, and individuals #'s 11-0482 11-0492, front and rear respectively. I would call tour local Indy shop to get prices on 'em, point is that they're out there man, and V-Twin may not be the only source for 'em. Don't go tradin your IRON man...hope that's helpful for ya....Mike 74xlh

iron68
8th February 2005, 22:50
Thanks alot man. That makes me feel better. Also there is a guy working on making sleeves for the OEM jugs, so I'm not as bad off as I thought. :clap

iron68
8th February 2005, 22:53
By the way wasn't talking about changing from an Ironhead, just getting a "newer" 1000cc if I had no other options, but I have no worries now.

74FeHeadXLH
8th February 2005, 23:16
Oh by the way.....KILLER bike

harman35
16th February 2005, 11:47
have several sets give me a shout

stevo
16th February 2005, 12:00
looks like ya got a few replies..... :D

It is possible to buy new ones aftermarket......as has been shown...

It is possible to sleeve them as well but it would take a custom sleeve with a shoulder at the top.....

I've done a set of UL barrells recently but they're a bit harder to find so it makes it cost effective.