PDA

View Full Version : Dead on the side of the road!

Confused89
11th April 2006, 18:49
I went to go eat lunch and I went to go start the bike and it hit compression stroke right away and the starter sounded like the soleniod kicked in and then the speedo went dead. :censor I am getting no electrical current to the speedo or anything else for that matter. The bike won't start and I broke my pocket knife :censor unscrewing the bolts on the fuse box cover getting those out. Thing is no fuses are blown. The curcuit breaker was not hot to the touch and there were no arc marks anywhere near the starter. I need a little help right now to try to figure the problem out so if anyone has any idea please tell me.

thatbikerguy
11th April 2006, 19:02
:bump :bump :bump

icebob
11th April 2006, 19:06
Sound like a dead battery to me but I can be wrong. I'm sure the top mechs here will chime in

Confused89
11th April 2006, 19:09
I kind of wish it were a dead battery but it started 15 minutes before that just fine. I am not saying that that is not the problem it just seems odd to me that it would go out that quick without a warning.

icebob
11th April 2006, 19:22
Check the connection on your battery to make sure they are not loose or corroded.

Confused89
11th April 2006, 19:25
They are tight and the looked just fine, I know looking just doesn't cut it when things are sorroded. the thing is that it is not getting any power periond. It got power good up until the time I hit the started button and the starter tried to turn over and then things went blank.

Grizzly
11th April 2006, 19:25
Check all the grounds...

Confused89
11th April 2006, 19:30
Where are all of the grounds? I know of the one that the battery goes to and from and that is it.

trippivot
11th April 2006, 19:33
I have had two failures like the one you describe. running fine and the tach/ engine all die at the same time. first time it was the woodruf key on the pininon shaft that holds a gear where the power comes from the crank to the cams. next time it was the ignition trigger cup the one that signals the electronic ign. both times I was stranded and the repair parts are less than $5.00 each

Confused89
11th April 2006, 19:36
The bike didn't even get started. It hit the compression stroke and never got pass that and the compression stroke was immediate, there was not a revolution before it. It was like the starter was puling to much amperage and it blew a main fuse. That was my first thought because nothing works at all. No lights, no horn, nothing.

Y2K
11th April 2006, 20:01
Check all the grounds...

Ditto that! a bad ground on the battery will cause this for sure.
Take the cables off and clean them up and the battery posts up and try again;)
I've also seen batterys give up the ghost just that fast so it's possible you need a battery.

Confused89
11th April 2006, 20:06
I will be looking in to all of your suggestions in about 2 hours because right now all I have is a broken pocket knife and its not doing me much good.

GOTWA
11th April 2006, 21:15
Ditto that! a bad ground on the battery will cause this for sure.
Take the cables off and clean them up and the battery posts up and try again;)
I've also seen batterys give up the ghost just that fast so it's possible you need a battery.

And remember to check both ends of the cables. Not just where they connect to the battery.

1200 Custom
11th April 2006, 21:49
Check the connection at the starter, mine did the same thing,the booty that harley put at the end of the cable traps water and rotts the cable.. Hard to see tho....
Use a ohm meter to see if the batterys ok...
Hope this helps

H@mbone!
11th April 2006, 21:52
To me it sounds like either a ground wire or something in the electrical area but kinda hard to tell. Let us know what you find out.