PDA

View Full Version : battery issues

shotgun46
16th April 2006, 17:26
well when i got the bike they told me they put a new battery in it ( dont look new ) when they dropped it off the battery was dead so i charged it then installed a battery tender every time i ride i plug it back in and it takes longer to charge so how can i test it other than taking it to the local auto zone and have a load test done ?? its been on the charger for 24 hours and still charging at 5 amps ?? thanks !!

shotgun46
16th April 2006, 17:54
any one here today ??

lagerdrinker
16th April 2006, 17:57
any one here today ??

here...but drinking. not tech time for me:roflblack

lagerdrinker
16th April 2006, 18:03
arent these newer batteries agm? i dont know if you can do a hydrometer test. someone will answer soon.

shotgun46
16th April 2006, 18:25
hey it s all good i drank too much last night so have a couple for me will ya !!!!

lagerdrinker
16th April 2006, 18:58
hey it s all good i drank too much last night so have a couple for me will ya !!!!

i never disobey that order!!
wish i could be more help but i havent a clue as i havent run into a battery problem...yet.

wabiker
16th April 2006, 19:17
Sounds like its time for a new one. How old is it?

lagerdrinker
16th April 2006, 19:20
Sounds like its time for a new one. How old is it?

sayed supposedly new

wabiker
16th April 2006, 19:47
*Supposedly* is the working word. If it is a sealed Bat, ya cant use a hydrometer. If it aint sealed, 1 or 2 dead cells or nearly dead cells will give ya troubles. Autozone load tests are free.. Save a whole bunch of head scratching and trouble shooting if he just takes it in..... thats what Ive always done.

IronMick
17th April 2006, 03:06
If you are charging the battery at 5 amps you have killed it. No motorcycle barttery should ever be charged at more than 2 amps. The preferred chargers are the automatic ones between .75 and 1.5 amps, like Battery tender or Battery Minder, or other similar ones from auto parts shops. These either shut off or go into a maintenance mode when the battery is fully charged.

A cheap load test is to fully charge the battery then, with the plugs disconnected and a voltmeter attached to the battery, crank the starter for 10 seconds [no more!]. If the reading goes below 10 volts the battery is toast.

shotgun46
17th April 2006, 13:17
i have a battery tender but it would not charge the battery up ! so i put my big charger on it and tested the stator and it was fine then i tested the battery and it was fine then i tested the voltage regulator it was shot ! so off to the stealer for a new one today ! i purchased this bike used and have had issues with it the stealer said they replaced the battery but every time i went for a ride it would take longer to re charge !!

lagerdrinker
17th April 2006, 13:20
good to hear you found the problem.