PDA

View Full Version : Left Side Panel / Battery Cover

IanEd
10th February 2005, 12:54
Earlier this week I had my battery side cover fly off and didn't notice till I got home. Luckily found it next morning, scuffed to f in a ditch....

Where I found it was close by a particularly lumpy bit of backroad - the appalling standard suspension bottoming out and weak clips that are meant to secure the panel appear to be the problem.

I've made a third slot between the original two on the top edge and stuck a grommet in it, then - with the seat off - used a tyrap round the frame.

Knew I should have bought the pair of panels on UK ebaY last month.

LuxBlue
10th February 2005, 14:55
I hear ya! My battery cover never fell off but it get's displaced front to back and becomes loose. Just took both the battery cover and oil tank cover (which fits VERY snug) off and am having them painted to match my tank and fenders. When they come back I'm gonna find a better way to keep that battery cover on! Like the tyrap idea!

IanEd
10th February 2005, 15:04
am having them painted to match my tank and fenders. When they come back I'm gonna find a better way to keep that battery cover on! Like the tyrap idea!

bother - just too late to make an extra hole before painting - though hole is well out of site.

The rounded / streamlined side panel is one of the styling exercises on the later model I think went to far. Always liked the bitsa codged together look of the battery and the little triangle electrics cover.

IanEd
10th February 2005, 15:06
Oh - Hello Lancaster, PA. from Lancaster UK !

LuxBlue
11th February 2005, 14:45
Yeah, now that you mention it IanEd, I probably won't want to drill a hole in my new paint! I might try epoxying a standoff on the back side I can attach to. We've got some really STRONG epoxy here at work that's supposed to be as strong as a weld....we'll see. Yes, I'm from Lancaster which is the "Red Rose" city. 30 miles to the west of me is York which is the "White Rose" city. Co-incidently that's where the Harley plant is! I believe all the Rose stuff is a carry over from England, right? War of the Roses perhaps?

IanEd
11th February 2005, 15:21
We've got some really STRONG epoxy here at work that's supposed to be as strong as a weld....we'll see.

fingers crossed.

I believe all the Rose stuff is a carry over from England, right? War of the Roses perhaps

yup, from the emblems of the Houses of York and Lancaster - some historical horticultural hiccup ;-)

- just checked your public profile, I'm of a similar age to you, with a similar bike to you ( mine 05 roadster ), in a city of the same name as you, in a similar job to you - electronics support for a department at Lancaster University.

well met !

LuxBlue
11th February 2005, 17:24
Pretty neat! Too bad we can't hook up and go riding. But that pond that separates us is pretty wide. If you occassionally place a long legged, shapely blonde on the back of your bike, we're damn near twins!! :laugh

IanEd
11th February 2005, 20:14
heh ! Well she's loooong legged, pleasantly rounded, brunette however - and demanding a better seat ready for summer evening rides out.

LuxBlue
12th February 2005, 20:40
Close enough!! You're my twin. Or should I say my V-Twin!!