PDA

View Full Version : which tires?

engine
21st November 2004, 03:59
My front tire looks a bit dry-rotted (the bike was sitting for 5 years), and I have a feeling that I'll need new tires for next riding season. So what tires would you recommend? Avon, Metzler, Dunlop...??

Broncodog
21st November 2004, 04:03
I'm sure everyone has a pref as to which tire they like, for me it's Dunlop. But then again what the hell do I know :D

IronMick
21st November 2004, 04:27
Someone asked this a couple of weeks ago. Most responses recommended Metzler tires.

Jimbo999
21st November 2004, 04:31
Metzlers
:xlrocks

barry1967
21st November 2004, 04:43
I have heard that the Metz 880's are a fantastic improvement over the factory Dunlops. I will be getting a set when mine wear out.

Moved On
21st November 2004, 04:55
I've heard a lot of great things about Metzlers... the only problem is they don't have whitewalls that will fit a Sporty. Avon Venoms come in WWW so that's what I use, but they aren't the best on wet roads.

http://home.twcny.rr.com/embedded/pictures/washington_park.jpg
http://home.twcny.rr.com/embedded/pictures/whitewall1.jpg

Gary

missyd
21st November 2004, 11:03
I have the NEW Dunlops ... very good they are. Metzelers are ok too. Some people say Avon are good as well. Its always a riders 'thing' to like a tire or not. I think any other tire than the original one is better. ;)

thunderpaw
21st November 2004, 14:19
Missy, which new Dunlops?

Kim

AZbiker
23rd November 2004, 03:27
Metzeler 880's for me too...I dig 'em.

txsporty
23rd November 2004, 03:35
Gary

Those White Walls a pain to keep clean??

Moved On
23rd November 2004, 03:45
Gary
Those White Walls a pain to keep clean??
Not if you don't mind them being gray... I consider it sort of a chrome wall most days :rolleyes:

They get dirty from the brake dust and need a good scrubbing every few weeks, I don't clean them that often though. Left rear is always the dirtiest. Cleaning them isn't hard. It usually takes two good scrubbings with a paint brush to get them back to bright white. I use the HD tire cleaner, spray it on, scrub with a chopped down paint brush rinse it off and repeat one more time.

Gary

txsporty
23rd November 2004, 04:28
Not if you don't mind them being gray... I consider it sort of a chrome wall most days :rolleyes:

They get dirty from the brake dust and need a good scrubbing every few weeks, I don't clean them that often though. Left rear is always the dirtiest. Cleaning them isn't hard. It usually takes two good scrubbings with a paint brush to get them back to bright white. I use the HD tire cleaner, spray it on, scrub with a chopped down paint brush rinse it off and repeat one more time.

Gary

Seem's Like a hassle, but it Does look Good!! :D

Moved On
23rd November 2004, 04:36
Not really much different than cleaning the brake dust off the spokes, actually easier than doing the spokes.

Gary

gordy
23rd November 2004, 11:41
metz's here as well , not keen on the Avons as they are crap inthe wet and I find they track badly as well.

missyd
23rd November 2004, 12:23
Missy, which new Dunlops?
Kim

Maybe their not so new. Dunlop GT501s look at the link. ;) http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=8

gordy
23rd November 2004, 13:37
Not really much different than cleaning the brake dust off the spokes, actually easier than doing the spokes.

Gary

You mean people actually clean spokes :yikes :laugh

bplinson
23rd November 2004, 16:19
In a perfect world all Sportys would come with Metzler ME 880s

Moved On
23rd November 2004, 16:20
You mean people actually clean spokes :yikes :laugh
I've heard of that before... I'm too pooped out by the time I finish washing the whitewalls to even think about the spokes :shhhh

Gary

gordy
23rd November 2004, 16:44
when your riding nobody can see your spokes so why bother cleaning the buggers they look like crap eventually anyhow :laugh

missyd
23rd November 2004, 19:34
In a perfect world all Sportys would come with Metzler ME 880s

hehe! WTF :censor ... not mine! ;)

SkippyRay
23rd November 2004, 20:02
Dunlop K180 for me. Then again I have a Flat track set up. They are legal on track or off. Not a bad ride on street. Better than the stock Dunlop that is for sure. And a great tire for those gravle spots here in the wilds of Oklahoma. (oh yeah good at climbing buffalo turds:spineyes too. :laugh )

stevo
24th November 2004, 00:08
G'day

The new metzellers are fine for touring, the older ones were useless in burnouts or HARD ridin as the tread would cold tear badly and come off in chunks.

Dunlop K591's (standard on S models and FXDX's) are a great tire for twisties but don't last long

Bridgestone BT45's are a very good all round tire in the dry or wet and last a while as well as stick like the proverbial gecko poo to the sheets.

Avons are OK in the dry but NASTY in the wet, even the new compound ones.

IRC flames are fine for general use

Cheng shins= shit
SHinko = bad shit
Kings tire = even worse shit

I used to run DUnlop K591's on mine untill they got too dear over here, then I tried most others on my bike and customers bikes and use and recomend Bridgestone BT45's for Harleys

On my GSXR 1000 I'm runnin Dunlop D208gp's or Michelin Pilot Race or Pirelli supercorsas. all top shelf street/race tires.
I NEED a tire that will stick wet or dry and be predictable near the limit and slide when it gets there, NOT just let go :yikes

At the end of the day I personally feel that a front tire should be chosen sticky enough that it only lasts a year, as I belive they should be replaced at least once a year.
Rubber deteriorates and you lose a lot of the traction out of the tire after the first year of use.

Tires are the only thing between you and the road....they are cheaper than dropping the bike :(