PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal Problems

har1200cus
23rd April 2006, 05:03
I put bullet turn signals on my bike with single element and i took the idiot lights off now my turn signas just stay on and dont shut off until i hit the switch again is it because i have single element thanks Austin

Moved On
23rd April 2006, 06:27
Don't think single element would cause that. If they're on the rear, that's all you had to start. If they're on the front, as long as you left the running light wire disconnected it should be fine.

By "stay on" do you mean they light solid and don't flash, or do you mean the continue flashing (i.e. self canceller stopped working)???

If they light up solid, then that means they aren't drawing enough current to keep the turn signal module happy. In this case you will need to get a "load equalizer" to plug into the harness under the seat. That will boost the current draw and make the turn signal module happy again.

If they blink but do not self cancel, then that means you disconnected the wire that comes from the speedo to the turn signal module. The speedometer is a key element in the self cancel circuit. If the white with green stripe wire isn't connected to the speedo anymore they will blink forever until you manually cancel them.

Gazza

har1200cus
23rd April 2006, 21:34
they stay on solid until i hit the switch, where do i get this load equilizer thing

glenns
23rd April 2006, 21:42
the blinker relay might be bad if there solid and no blink i would check there

Wicked65chop
23rd April 2006, 21:54
You need to use 1157 bulbs or it wont work

mytrdmatrix
18th June 2009, 17:33
hey whats up guys im actually having the same problem. i got a 02 xl1200 and the light turns on solid but doesnt blink but i don care much for the self canceling module. can i take that out and replace it with a blinker relay or is it easier to jus get that load equalizer.

jharback
18th June 2009, 20:39
they stay on solid until i hit the switch, where do i get this load equilizer thing

hey whats up guys im actually having the same problem. i got a 02 xl1200 and the light turns on solid but doesnt blink but i don care much for the self canceling module. can i take that out and replace it with a blinker relay or is it easier to jus get that load equalizer.

Load equalizers are only if your running LED's. Most LED turn signals now come with load equalizers or you can buy a Bad Lands or similar module. But most of those will not have self canceling features.

xHDrider
18th June 2009, 22:20
mine used to light up solid and not blink. I replaced my battery and it fixed my turn signals.
the voltage must have been lower then it liked

mindseye
20th June 2009, 06:07
its likely the signal module is not compatible with the new lights...I think you have a 98?...also depending on the bullets-led or bulb? you might have different wattages and voltages not compatible with module....other than that otehr reasons are not wired right or loose connections....I just had this problem and I had to change module to aftermarket:frownthre

95 sporty
20th June 2009, 09:10

Once you find out why they don't blink you can go to the module and cut the white/green stripe wire and tape the ends then you will have manual signals which mean you hit the button for on and hit again for off.You have a whole different system and changing it to the older bikes (I believe 1990 or 91 is when the self cancelling signals started)with the flashers in the headlight would be alot of work rewiring and would devalue your bike.Plus all you would have to do is reconnect the white/green wire to restore the self cancelling.