PDA

View Full Version : Fork brace?

madisonlink
11th February 2005, 16:55
Anybody have one, or see the need for one on the Sporty? They seem kinda pricey, and was wondering if they were worth the money...

xl1200r
11th February 2005, 17:01
You're going to real mixed ideas on this...

Some feel that they're useless on bikes that have dual discs in the front, other feel that benifit any bike. I personally am of the latter, though this is based solely on the physics of them as I understand them since I do not have experience with one. Either way, they look good. Try superbrace.com, they look to have a better product than the S.E. one for a little less money.

sportsterrific
11th February 2005, 18:28
I say, if you can afford it and you think it looks cool, go for it.
They do prevent fork flexing, but I don't think that's really an issue unless you're a skilled rider on a 100hp, 150mph sportbike.

willprevale
11th February 2005, 18:53
When presented with a question concerning saftey issues, I tend to believe, if it were necessary or would subject MoCo to liability, we'd already have them. As it is, the showa /sportster forks are essentially unchanged for over 50 years. That being said, they look kinda kewl.

txsporty
11th February 2005, 19:17
I have one on My Scoot, seemed to firm up the front end a Bit!! It looks good also!! Plus I got it cheap on ebay!!!! :D

willprevale
11th February 2005, 19:18
I have one on My Scoot, seemed to firm up the front end a Bit!! It looks good also!! Plus I got it cheap on ebay!!!! :D
Is there really a noticable difference?

txsporty
12th February 2005, 04:21
Is there really a noticable difference?

It seems to make the front feel not as loose when running in the twisties!!!

mikeLI_77
12th February 2005, 06:18
txsporty, i just bought a set for myself and was curious. i saw instructions on the web and it said to put the bike on a stand and then to loosen the pinch bolts to let the forks relax before tightening up the brace. Did you have to do this? If so are they talking about the pinch bolts at the top side of the trees, or the pinch bolt at the bottom of the fork?

gronk62
12th February 2005, 08:24
It seems to make the front feel not as loose when running in the twisties!!!
Hey Mike,
Try tightening ya front axle nut :p :D

bloody_knuckles
12th February 2005, 09:19
Pretty sure it will help with single disk, as I found my front fender was ripped at the torsion point after a five day run.

Most metrics run with a cross torsion bar on the forks, right above the fender.
Excuse the comparison.

Eventhough it is not stock, it does not mean it can't help because with modification there would be no EVOLUTION.

txsporty
12th February 2005, 15:14
txsporty, i just bought a set for myself and was curious. i saw instructions on the web and it said to put the bike on a stand and then to loosen the pinch bolts to let the forks relax before tightening up the brace. Did you have to do this? If so are they talking about the pinch bolts at the top side of the trees, or the pinch bolt at the bottom of the fork?

I didn't get any instructions with mine as I had bought it off ebay!! I just mounted evenly on the top of the lower slider and tighten it down!! Make sure you use Loc-Tite (blue)!!! :D

Hey Mike,
Try tightening ya front axle nut :p :D

Forever the Comedian Gronk!!! :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

marco883
12th February 2005, 23:28
I picked up a used SE cheap to try out. I'm not a "100+mph, 150hp sportbike" rider but imho it stiffened up the front end in twisties. It seems to keep the forks & triple-ts from flexing even in modrate speed cornering.

When installling make sure to work the forks up and down with the bike level before you tighten down on the fasteners of the brace.

The SE is bulky looking, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Wasn't quite sure if it was hype or not. Crossroads makes some cool looking ones for not much $$.

Phil R
13th February 2005, 02:24
I have the Superbrace on my bike and can't honestly say that I was able to detect a change in the handling, however, my Sporty goes thru the twisties soooo...nice and tight...it can't hurt! I talked to the folks at Superbrace about loosening the pinch bolts(they are the ones at the bottom) and was told that it isn't really necessary if the brace fits over the forks without having to be forced. Mine tapped on pretty easy with the palm of my hand so I didn't bother with the pinch bolts.

mikeLI_77
13th February 2005, 02:43
thank you txsporty for the advice and phil R for finding out which bolts they were. appreciate it. now at least if it doesn't come with instructions i know which ones to loosen if i have to.

txsporty
13th February 2005, 03:22
Anytime mikeli_77!!

maddog
13th February 2005, 03:23
I have the Super Brace. It tightened the front end, made the steering feel quicker, and took out 90 % of the wiggles on grooved road surfaces and draw bridge grills.
I also like that it only 2 pieces. Less is more! www.superbrace.com

tele52
15th February 2005, 00:52
I bought a brace from Discount Cycle Parts made by Crossroads Performance, I think it was $90.00. I have a Dual disk 883r. I really noticed a differance on California's grooved freeways. I would say yes, for me it was worth it. I got mine in anodized black, looks nice!

Neil Cullen
13th October 2006, 04:37
I have a SE unit on my single disk sporty. Keeps everything nice and tight. One thing the chrome is peeling of the SE unit. This after only two years, polished, garaged and never out in the rain. Very poor quality chrome for a unit costing $800 in NZ

JohnT
13th October 2006, 05:01
Another happy Superbrace user. Bought it during the group buy last year.

mikeLI_77
14th October 2006, 06:01
I also like that it only 2 pieces. Less is more! www.superbrace.com (http://www.superbrace.com)

You aint kiddin about that. I bought a drag specialties fork brace first from Dennis Kirk and it was such a Piece of crap. First off the thing had 6 different bolts. 4 on the top used to adjust the brace if needed and 4 on the sides to hold it on the bike. When I got it in the mail it was packaged in one of those cardboard backing with the shrink wrap on the front. When I peeled the shrink wrap off some of the chrome came off the brace with the plastic. I should have returned it right there but it was on the bottom so I figure it wouldn't be to bad but within a month or two the rest of the chrome started to peel off. So I bead blasted the rest off at work and gave it to my friend so he could paint it if he wanted to and put it on his bike. Also when I took it apart to bead blast it and I put the bolts back on the head of the bolts just twisted right off the thread leaving the threaded part in the hole.
So I bought the superbrace and am very happy with it. Wish I bought it first. Would have saved me money. The superbrace is much more sturdy than the POS drag specialties one I bought. It works great.
This is the one I bought from dennis kirk:
Anyone thinking of buying the drag specialties fork brace don't bother. Buy the SuperBrace it is much better.
http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/product_images/d/s/2/600pix/ds222118.jpg

XLXR
15th October 2006, 05:02
I weigh 230 lbs and found the SE brace to make a big difference. Steering felt tighter, more precise. I wonder if they help the heavier / faster riders more than the lighter / slower guys? I had already changed out springs and shocks. Superbrace is cheaper, and probably a better design because it has only two pieces.