PDA

View Full Version : new K&N filter kit

Art Christofersen
26th July 2008, 19:00
After reading through the entire SE ac filter thread (38 pages!) I went and checked out K&N's web site for their filter kit. I notice they say 'no jetting or fuel modifications needed' I would take this to mean no significant HP gains as major increase in flow would require adjustments to avoid a lean mixture.
Is this correct?

sporty01
26th July 2008, 22:45
mine ran like crap after adding just the k/n filter kit but after a small rejet it runs much much better

Art Christofersen
27th July 2008, 19:19
mine ran like crap after adding just the k/n filter kit but after a small rejet it runs much much better

I actually find that encouraging. What change did you make?

Bob F
27th July 2008, 19:27
I would take this to mean no significant HP gains

On my 2007 1200 I did the Gronk mod to the mufflers, opened up the AC backing plate and installed the K&N AC. When I had a baseline pull on the dyno I gained 2 HP and there was no change to the AFR. Not worth my efforts. My 2.

sporty01
27th July 2008, 21:24
off the top of my head i think i went from a 175 on the main to a 180 and from a 42 on the slow to a 45. but if yours is an Ryou may already have those i may be wrong but i think the R has different jets than the C

powellsanmiguel
27th July 2008, 21:46
On my 2007 1200 I did the Gronk mod to the mufflers, opened up the AC backing plate and installed the K&N AC. When I had a baseline pull on the dyno I gained 2 HP and there was no change to the AFR. Not worth my efforts. My 2.

Exactly. I got a K&N air filter, Rush 1.75" slip-on mufflers, drilled out the back plate for the air cleaner, and SHAZAM, almost no perceivable change. A little, but my golly, what a lot of work and money for almost nothing. And the plugs looked fine, and the oil temperature was fine without any change of program.

The Rush mufflers do sound nice though. La de dah.

sporty01
28th July 2008, 00:50
Exactly. I got a K&N air filter, Rush 1.75" slip-on mufflers, drilled out the back plate for the air cleaner, and SHAZAM, almost no perceivable change. A little, but my golly, what a lot of work and money for almost nothing. And the plugs looked fine, and the oil temperature was fine without any change of program.

The Rush mufflers do sound nice though. La de dah.

K&N only claims 1 to 4 horsepower increase so yours is right in line with what they claim.