PDA

View Full Version : HELP with these freakin 04 brake pads!!!

cyn
2nd May 2006, 23:52
The brake pads that the dealer gave me, part no. 42836-04, are like an inch or so longer than the original ones. Is that right? I can't get them to fit in there, I haven't seen any other pads than this part no. My husband said there is no way they are going to fit in there. Aren't they supposed to be the same size as what was on there? Or what am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

xl1200r
2nd May 2006, 23:53
They should the be the same size, or damn close. An inch longer is no good.

leo
2nd May 2006, 23:54
match the brake pad to the ones you took off, if they are different, they gave you the wrong ones.

cyn
2nd May 2006, 23:55
Thanks, I guess I will just have to take the original to the dealer and show it to them. I don't what else they would have though.

xena
2nd May 2006, 23:56
Cyn, I have yet to replace mine as we discussed previously,
but it looks like the right part number ----->>>>
http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewiteminfo.asp?SKU=42836-04

cyn
2nd May 2006, 23:58
It's definitely the only part no for I believe all XL's 04 and later.......I mean what am I supposed to do with this? Do you think I have different calipers? I will take a pic and post it in a minute.

leo
3rd May 2006, 00:13
your best bet is to take your pads with you and have them matched.

cyn
3rd May 2006, 00:18
Maybe somebody can tell which pad it is?

leo
3rd May 2006, 00:20
definitely the wrong pad...

cyn
3rd May 2006, 00:38
After looking at the manual again, it looks like they had the front pads in the wrong box cause you can see that they are different. WTF? This will be my third trip to this place cause the first time they gave me pads for 00-03 which as soon as I took them out of the box (after taking off the first one) I knew they were wrong. At least I have somewhat of an excuse, this is the first time I have done this. These freakin parts guys have no excuse. I would expect a little more quality control from a company that charges so much for everything.

xena
3rd May 2006, 00:44
That is a pita Cyn. I have to watch the parts people
here because all they are doing is reading numbers
and pulling shit off racks and out of bins.
Some, not all, do know their stuff. Make sure
you blast em for giving you the wrong stuff twice!
Once ok, but the second time?

indyrednek
3rd May 2006, 00:48
The longer one is for the front.
The small one is for rear.
Just did mine.

cyn
3rd May 2006, 00:50
That's what I'm saying! For all this crap, they should put the damn things on while I wait, but wait, no, I don't want them touching my bike.

indyrednek
3rd May 2006, 00:52
I wouldn't let them touch it.
It takes a whopping 3 minutes to do it.

cyn
3rd May 2006, 02:59
Thanks indy! Appreciate the input, I guess in retrospect, I should have known what the pads should look like, although on the HD site it shows one picture and says the rear are view 2 but there is no view 2....I just thought that the front and back are the same, but they aren't. Anyways, hope I get the right thing tomorrow since this is my only ride and by the looks of that original pad, I need to change it asap.

xena
3rd May 2006, 03:01
Cyn bring the old one with you just in case they are
inclined to f up again. Good luck!

cyn
4th May 2006, 01:18
Ok, after THREE days of messing around with the dealer I finally got the pads changed. Once I had the right pads....no problem. When I took them back AGAIN today, the guy had the audacity to try to argue with me and I just said, "Oh no honey, just get another box" there was another customer there who said, "It sounds like she knows what she's talking about" Believe me, after all this I knew what pads I needed. As soon as he took the others out of another box, the parts guy said, "hey you're right", I said, "I know"....the other customer said "Looks like she won that fight". I really wanted to blast this guy but you know what? I just really wanted to change the freakin' pads. Anyway, it was the second thing I have done by myself on this bike. Changed the grips before.

I just have this thing I guess of being afraid of screwing something up, but I have worked on cars alot so it's not like I'm not mechanically inclined....got to get over that and just go for it. I am also freaked out about scratching something....she is my baby. But it's a machine. If I screw it up, hey, it can be fixed. Anyway, thanks for all the replies and I must say, I love this forum and the information available at my fingertips because of you guys. Thanks again.

xena
4th May 2006, 01:26
Glad you finally got those losers to give up the right
part this time. Sheesh. I'd be ready to crack some
nuts after the third time. Hey Cyn, was it the same
bonehead parts guy each time, or a different person
making the mistake each time? Regardless, I'd tell
the manager about it because there's no excuse for
a 3 time screw up.

cyn
4th May 2006, 11:52
It was the same guy each time...it ain't worth talking to the owner, I am not a fan of that dealership at all, even though it is right here in town, I went 50 miles away to another dealer to buy my bike. I had just waited too long to get the pads and figured I would just get them there. Never again.

cadiero
4th May 2006, 14:26
I just found this post. I find it funny and a little disturbing since my dealer is the same way! The parts people don't know anything and they want to argue with you when they think they do.

I can relate about not wanting them to touch the bike. Can you imagine what they would mess up if you actually let them have the whole bike?

indyrednek
4th May 2006, 15:56
I just found this post. I find it funny and a little disturbing since my dealer is the same way! The parts people don't know anything and they want to argue with you when they think they do.

I can relate about not wanting them to touch the bike. Can you imagine what they would mess up if you actually let them have the whole bike?

PLease don't put ALL parts guys in the same catagory.
I am a parts guy and have been since 1983.
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of young "knoe-it-alls" out there.
I have proved many of them wrong.