PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EVO Brit Styled Sporty

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 18:13
I think this one is going to be a little polarizing.

I didn't like it at first glance, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

A rubbermount 1200R, done up with the lines of a classic brit-bike - kinda ineresting. I'd ride it.

http://thekneeslider.com/images/gb1200r.jpg

celtic
28th July 2008, 18:15
remove the tank seam and she's a beaut.

darett
28th July 2008, 18:18
I like it but I never understood those fender tags

el jinete fantasma
28th July 2008, 18:26
Gotta put cocktail shakers on there!

brprider
28th July 2008, 18:41
Ride it? Hell, I'd love to own it. That ought to start a conversation or two.

PaulDM
28th July 2008, 18:45
I wonder where the exhaust came from and how it runs...

PaddyOFurniture
28th July 2008, 18:45
I like it a lot!

gamhill
28th July 2008, 18:48
I think it's pretty well done. At first glance it doesn't look like a Sporty. My eye caught the highlight and tank first, then I noticed the engine.

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 18:49
A more receptive acceptance than I'd predicted - kudos...

drd1135
28th July 2008, 18:52
Well done. Fine looking bike. I bet it's really fun to ride.

Maybe swap out the bars for some apes. :p

Rascal
28th July 2008, 18:52
I think it's pretty well done. At first glance it doesn't look like a Sporty. My eye caught the highlight and tank first, then I noticed the engine.

Same here, and saw that seat and was thinking of the old Hondas of the 70's. I'd ride it, that's for sure.

mtl-XLR
28th July 2008, 18:59
Love it !

Gorgeous !

The best of both worlds :)

Just_Todd
28th July 2008, 19:01
I Love it!

very nice!

honkytnkmn
28th July 2008, 19:02
The perfect bike to ride to your afternoon Tea and Crumpets Party!

bud095
28th July 2008, 19:02
i kinda like it myself

funnythebunny
28th July 2008, 19:06
I dig it! Good choice of color.

shotgun46
28th July 2008, 19:08
Funny I rtead the same thing Here
http://forums.delphiforums.com/hawgryder/messages/?msg=28890.1

DRAWTOOL
28th July 2008, 19:11
I'm thinking I like the tank, I neeed more views. I can't be likeing the bland-o-matic A/C but that's an easy fix. Basically it's pretty sweet.

grindbastard
28th July 2008, 19:13
Awesome...I could nitpick about a thing or two, but overall it's a head-turner.

grindbastard
28th July 2008, 19:14
I'm thinking I like the tank, I neeed more views. I can't be likeing the bland-o-matic A/C but that's an easy fix. Basically it's pretty sweet.

The A/C cover is definitely the first (and only?) thing I'd change on it.

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 19:18
So follow-up question - does this fly in the face of Harley's 09 lineup or show that this website tends to draw from a unique sub-set of the demographic (i.e. one not so targeted by the 09 lineup)?

I don't have a strong opinion on this, I'm looking to learn with these questions.

Gone
28th July 2008, 19:20
So follow-up question - does this fly in the face of Harley's 09 lineup or show that this website tends to draw from a unique sub-set of the demographic (i.e. one not so targeted by the 09 lineup)?

I don't have a strong opinion on this, I'm looking to learn with these questions.

You feeling alright Kev? :laugh

jamez1965
28th July 2008, 19:20
I love it, I'd ride it, I'd own it.

Although I'll deny it if you ask me later, I'm trying to add a splash of Jolly Olde England to mine (without necessarily going completely over the edge as this guy has).

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 19:22
You feeling alright Kev? :laugh

Tired of circular arguments - I'd rather spend a little time just enjoying and maybe learning...

loki03xlh
28th July 2008, 19:28
Nice bike, but I wouldn't trade my chromed-out garage queen for it!

btw, I wonder how comfy that seat is....

Sleeper
28th July 2008, 19:33
It would likely be a failure if Harley produced and sold it.
Personally I love it!
Might look good with one of those little British style bikini fairings too.

Gone
28th July 2008, 19:35
That looks like a quasi Norton .... sorta ... kinda

jamez1965
28th July 2008, 19:36

This site DEFINITELY draws a unique subset. Several different ones, in fact.

Plus, you said it best yourself once, that (to paraphrase) many people here bought a Sporty thinking they were getting a cruiser, then realized they got something more.

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 19:43
Plus, you said it best yourself once, that (to paraphrase) many people here bought a Sporty thinking they were getting a cruiser, then realized they got something more.

I still believe that to be true in many cases... :)

celtic
28th July 2008, 19:46
It would likely be a failure if Harley produced and sold it.
Personally I love it!
Might look good with one of those little British style bikini fairings too.

yep. it would NOT be a seller here.

and as far as the subset....

i wanted a t-100 and 'ended up' with a sporty...so am JUST A BIT biased.

:D

btw - love my 1200R, but still lust after a bonnie.

Blacktooth Grin
28th July 2008, 19:49
I probably wouldn't own it, I'd buy a Triumph instead, but I like it.

That color is quite nice though. I put a 1200R tank on my XL883 last week and I've already been picturing it painted a similar green with the 1200R tank decal. I think the off white color of the decal would look good against a dark green like that.

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 19:52
This mention of a "seller" or not, reminds me that I most often do not put much credit in the tastes of the general public. I don't think pop-culture is necessarily a good thing. I tend not to dig what is most popular anyway.

Whether it's a Guzzi or maybe an XR1200 or this, I prefer something a little off the beaten path.

"I took the road less traveled and it has made all the difference"

Perhaps that's why I just can't relate sometimes, and just can't figure why others can't relate to my tates/views...

ScreamingEag1e
28th July 2008, 20:02
This mention of a "seller" or not, reminds me that I most often do not put much credit in the tastes of the general public. I don't think pop-culture is necessarily a good thing. I tend not to dig what is most popular anyway.

Whether it's a Guzzi or maybe an XR1200 or this, I prefer something a little off the beaten path.

Perhaps that's why I just can't relate sometimes, and just can't figure why others can't relate to my tates/views...

I am definitely with you on this. While this forum has been a tremendous learning tool for me. It has also opened me up to a vast selection of options when it comes to looking for another motorcycle to add in the garage. It is highly doubtful that my second motorcycle will even be a HD.

DRAWTOOL
28th July 2008, 20:04

That's too hard a question for me. Stylewise I think HD hit pretty close with the "N", their 09 line up is the same as the 08 only with less, just as their 08 was the same as 07 only fewer options. I personally would not have eliminated the 883 standard model or either of the "R"s. The bike you presented here is reminesent (to me) of a 60s style sportster with some British (read Triumph) accents. I think a factory platform on these lines would appeal to a certain demo-thingie, me for one and maybe relieve Hogwylde's incessent Jones to get a Bonnie. :p
If I were in the market I'd get one, in truth I'd like to dial back to 07 and get the whole set and this one.:wonderlan

stimbrell
28th July 2008, 20:06

They used to be a legal requirement till someone pointed out the damage they did to any pedestrian that got run over by a bike, as effective as a knife apparently. :wonderlan

Steve.

grindbastard
28th July 2008, 20:14

I don't know about any of that, but I've already told my kids that if they're responsible enough when they're of-age I'm going to buy them one of these...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/img/classic/Classic.jpg

Possibly with one of these...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/images/bulletnosesidecar.jpg

darett
28th July 2008, 20:17
They used to be a legal requirement till someone pointed out the damage they did to any pedestrian that got run over by a bike, as effective as a knife apparently. :wonderlan

Steve.

Thanks I didnt know that :)

barraphernalia
28th July 2008, 20:19
Same here, and saw that seat and was thinking of the old Hondas of the 70's. I'd ride it, that's for sure.

I sorta like the Britster. I think I'd like to see something similar with a cb750-ish look. (Little bigger front finder w/ chrome supports and a shorter (nightster) chromed rear fender)

I just love this front fender.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Honda_CB_750_K1.jpg/800px-Honda_CB_750_K1.jpg

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 20:20
I am definitely with you on this. While this forum has been a tremendous learning tool for me. It has also opened me up to a vast selection of options when it comes to looking for another motorcycle to add in the garage. It is highly doubtful that my second motorcycle will even be a HD.

:clap :clap :clap

Not that I think you should or should not get a Harley, but that I think you should find out what's out there and buy whichever blows your hair back the most....

and if this forum has helped, excellent!

Me? As much as I love my Guzzis and don't want to be without them, I smile ear-to-ear EVERY SINGLE TIME I get on the Harley.

darett
28th July 2008, 20:20
I don't know about any of that, but I've already told my kids that if they're responsible enough when they're of-age I'm going to buy them one of these...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/img/classic/Classic.jpg

Possibly with one of these...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/images/bulletnosesidecar.jpg

i met a guy a roadside rest with one of those it was pretty cool set up it had some kinda steering mod so it would steer like a car when the side car was on but he said he had a hard time getting it over 50mph

grindbastard
28th July 2008, 20:42
...but he said he had a hard time getting it over 50mph

Which is why I've considered it for my kids when they're in their late teens. Fun enough with limits. :)

celtic
28th July 2008, 20:48
Thanks I didnt know that :)

in fact,

they are referred to as 'pedestrian slicers'

http://www.british-customs.com/bc-triumph-motorcycle-pedestrian-slicer-triumph-motorcycles-c-59-p-1-pr-16483.html

:D

Johnny Wolf
28th July 2008, 21:08
Gotta put cocktail shakers on there!

Duals with cocktail shakers ;)

Johnny Wolf
28th July 2008, 21:12
A more receptive acceptance than I'd predicted - kudos...

Any more pix Kev?

oh, and BTW- I like just about anything that isn't stock...as long as it doesn't involve hyperchargres, and or bolt on raked front ends.:smoke

Little_Dave
28th July 2008, 21:12
All it needs to do is lose about 100lb of weight and it'd be near on perfect!

Gone
28th July 2008, 21:24
I love the color but there is something about the seat-pinstriping-gauges-gators that remind me of a `70's era Honda CB750. Maybe I just need to sleep more.

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 21:27
Any more pix Kev?

oh, and BTW- I like just about anything that isn't stock...as long as it doesn't involve hyperchargres, and or bolt on raked front ends.:smoke

http://thekneeslider.com/images/gb1200r2.jpg

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/06/02/gb1200r-british-style-custom-sportster/

Brian Laine loved the idea of a low-vibration, long-distance Harley Sportster, so when the rubber-mount model appeared in 2004, he bought one. But Laine decided a few styling cues drawn from his collection of British bikes would set his XR1200R apart from the crowd. The result is a subtle custom the Arlington, Wash. native calls the GB1200R.

Mechanics are all stock, but Laine replaced the standard tank with a slightly larger piece from a mid-seventies Honda CB500T he found in a breaker’s yard. The seat came from a Wankel-powered Hercules. Laine wanted a color close to British Racing Green, but with more sparkle, and found a suitable color from Subaru. The frame still wears the original Harley black.

Front fender is a British stainless steel reproduction that rides on brackets Laine fabricated in the style of a Triumph Bonneville from the late sixties. He built the rear package rack as well. A vintage-style air cleaner Laine built allowed a lot of induction noise through, so he usually rides with the stock Harley unit.

The big chrome headlight is a generic Brit-style reproduction that rides in Kawasaki ears. Harley gaiters add to the vintage look. The two-into-one exhaust is a Paughco bend. It wasn’t designed for the rubber-mount Harley, but Laine built a custom mounting bracket to make it work. One of the original pair of mufflers, drilled out for better tone and breathing, completes the exhaust. The bike also looks good with the stock two-into-two pipes (photo two).

The bike won a third place trophy in the Mild Custom class at the May 18, 2008 Old Snohomish Motorcycle Show in Washington.

http://www.lainefamily.com/GB1200R.htm

Folkie
28th July 2008, 21:48
I wonder where the exhaust came from and how it runs...Yeah, I want to know that. It looks like the original Sportster exhaust.

Johnny Wolf
28th July 2008, 22:03
Yeah, I want to know that. It looks like the original Sportster exhaust.

In the first pic of the bike it's running a 2 into 1 Paucho exhaust. I've been thinking about getting one for about a year now, just haven't made my mind up. I have 3 other ides as well :doh

Johnny Wolf
28th July 2008, 22:06
I just looked at it again, the only thing I don't like is why go to all the trouble and run mags? Spokes would finish the look, and maybe a smaller chrome a/c (damn, did I just say "chrome"?)

Winchester92367
28th July 2008, 22:21
I love it, were can I get one?!:tour

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 22:21
I love it, were can I get one?!:tour

It's DIY - do-it-yourself... or BYOB - Build-Your-Own-Bike... ;)

ShadenGheist
28th July 2008, 22:30
I just looked at it again, the only thing I don't like is why go to all the trouble and run mags? Spokes would finish the look, and maybe a smaller chrome a/c (damn, did I just say "chrome"?)

Can you get a spoked front wheel for an R model?

I like it... A lot! But I've always been partial to the 70's era CB Honda's anyways.:banana

The 2 into 1 pipe reminds me of the old Indian Scout's exhaust. :smoke

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 22:32

YUP - OEM option too... :)

Gone
28th July 2008, 22:33

Impossible is just a state of mind...

FoxsterUK
28th July 2008, 22:36
Very, very nice. Do you mind a few minor suggestions?...

I wonder if that green is one shade too light. Check out British Racing Green, especially the shade used on D-Type Jags.

Spokes wheels would seem more authentic.

A/C - I'd consider something round, chrome with lots of holes around the edge.

Oh and why not lower bars to give it a semi-cafe look?

Fox

ShadenGheist
28th July 2008, 22:36
YUP - OEM option too... :)

I had no idea. I've never seen one. Had I known, I most likely would have bought an R.

83XLX
28th July 2008, 22:38
I like the concept, but not the execution - it's too dumpy looking. The old kit that was sold to turn an Evo Sportster into a Vincent copy looked much better, in my opinion.

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 22:39
Very, very nice. Do you mind a few minor suggestions?...

I wonder if that green is one shade too light. Check out British Racing Green.

Spokes wheels would seem more authentic.

A/C - I'd consider something round, chrome with lots of holes around the edge.

Oh and why not lower bars to give it a semi-cafe look?

Fox

who you giving suggestion's too - I don't think the owner of that bike is on this board - but if you follow the link to his website - there may be an email or contact him link...

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 22:40
I like the concept, but not the execution - it's too dumpy looking. The old kit that was sold to turn an Evo Sportster into a Vincent copy looked much better, in my opinion.

It is a little sophtig (sp?) isn't it?

83XLX
28th July 2008, 22:49
It is a little sophtig (sp?) isn't it?

Was ist "sophtig"? Ich weiss nicht.

FoxsterUK
28th July 2008, 22:52
who you giving suggestion's too - I don't think the owner of that bike is on this board - but if you follow the link to his website - there may be an email or contact him link...Oh, sorry, Kev. Thought it was something you had thrown together.

Fox

jharback
28th July 2008, 23:05

I really like it. He definitely caught the nostalgic look. The fender tags are 100% nostalgia.

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 23:05
Was ist "sophtig"? Ich weiss nicht.

Damn, I shoulda gone with the "Z" and the "F" instead of the PH...

zaftig

Main Entry: zaf·tig
Pronunciation: \ˈzäf-tig, ˈzȯf-\
Variant(s): also zof·tig \ˈzȯf-\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Yiddish zaftik juicy, succulent, from zaft juice, sap, from Middle High German saf, saft, from Old High German saf — more at sap
Date: circa 1936
of a woman : having a full rounded figure : pleasingly plump

Moved On / My Own Choice
28th July 2008, 23:06
Oh, sorry, Kev. Thought it was something you had thrown together.

Fox

I wish... I haven't had the time or the scratch to do something like that for years... but maybe, just maybe in the near future.

Kev

83XLX
28th July 2008, 23:16
Damn, I shoulda gone with the "Z" and the "F" instead of the PH...

Thanks for the definition. At least I guessed the correct language, ja?

I wouldn't call it "pleasingly plump", though. It's just not proportioned right - not lean and thoroughbred-looking like the old Bonnies and Commandos. Looks more like the first BSA Rocket-3, if you catch my drift.....it just needs a ray gun muffler to complete the look. :p

Folkie
28th July 2008, 23:19

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/img/classic/Classic.jpgI'd like one of those; just can't justify a second bike.

Folkie
28th July 2008, 23:27
i met a guy a roadside rest with one of those it was pretty cool set up it had some kinda steering mod so it would steer like a car when the side car was on but he said he had a hard time getting it over 50mphA hard time getting it over 50 mph, with the side car on? It is only a 500, and basically to a sixty year old design.

The steering mod; it wasn't leading link forks, was it?

Folkie
28th July 2008, 23:28
I love the color but there is something about the seat-pinstriping-gauges-gators that remind me of a `70's era Honda CB750. Maybe I just need to sleep more.Where do you think Honda copied their styling ideas from?

Folkie
28th July 2008, 23:30
In the first pic of the bike it's running a 2 into 1 Paucho exhaust. I've been thinking about getting one for about a year now, just haven't made my mind up. I have 3 other ides as well :dohThanks for the info.

Folkie
29th July 2008, 00:18
I wonder if that green is one shade too light. Check out British Racing Green, especially the shade used on D-Type Jags.There's actually no one shade which is British Racing Green. Different teams used totally different colours; private entrants used whatever green paint they could get their hands in. It was often something close to dark Brunswick green, but just as often not. Look at the Aston Martins, racing at the same time as the XK120 C types and XK120 D types: they were a quite light, almost metallic, green. The HWMs were even lighter. And David Pipers cars were (and still are) a medium shade, but very bright.

Aston Martin:

http://www.historicmotorsportshow.com/editorialimages/P_A020_m.jpg

HWM:

http://www.forix.com/8w/reviv03/reviv03-fri-md-hwm-alta.jpg

ERA:

http://www.forix.com/8w/reviv03/reviv03-fri-md-era-e-gp1.jpg

David Piper Ferrari:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2691/dsc01934gl2.jpg

Teehaml
29th July 2008, 00:22
Not bad looking... the color matches the look...

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/teehaml/P7010097640x480.jpg

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th July 2008, 14:00
if you catch my drift.....

Yeah - JUICY - ;)

Oh, as for that Royal Enfield. I came across one back in the spring when we stopped in Anapolis on a ride down to southern VA. Pulled up next to a guy on it who looked like he was having a ball - did the obligatory "you don't see many of those" to which he responded after looking at the Breva "you don't see many of THOSE either"

Anyway, looked like it would be an AWESOME around town/city bike - commuter. Small, light, cheap, probably very economical on gas.

I just noticed something on the way home last night - with our new house, I'm now only about 10 miles from work - I can freaking commute on one of my bikes for about 1/2 a gallon a day, round trip.... meaning I can go as much as 2 weeks on the Breva without refilling it, IF I don't take the long way home (or in like I did this morning) and take no side trips.

I wonder how much I could ride something like that Bullet back and forth to work on a tank (of course, it's a smaller tank)...

Kev

milmat1
29th July 2008, 15:48
Uhg !!!......................

Gone
29th July 2008, 17:40
I read a lot of posts so please forgive me if I've gotten this askew. I saw a Royal Enfield in Craigslist from Central Texas and the owner said he had ridden it from there to Glacier Nat'l Park and back. That must have taken some time. Not to mention the vibes from the single. Having ridden Brit singles for years I know from whence I speak. But hey, it's the journey not the destination. I would like to know the name of that Subaru green though.

Coxbow
29th July 2008, 18:00
Don’t forget that the Bullet technology and tooling are from 1954 ! I've got a friend who's got one, and he's on the side of the road as often as an AMF Shovel !!

Wanna ride economically, try the Enfield Diesel !

Folkie
29th July 2008, 18:15
There's a new lean burn engine now. Well, there is in the Electra, anyway.

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th July 2008, 18:49
Don’t forget that the Bullet technology and tooling are from 1954

How much of that is fact and how much of that is speculation?

Kinda like some people claim that Ural tooling and tech is from the 40s... HOWEVER, truth is they've been upgrading things all along the way.

Is it a Honda, NOPE, but sometimes that's a good thing.

steelworker
29th July 2008, 19:35
The perfect bike to ride to your afternoon Tea and Crumpets Party!
With the Queen, of course:gbflag I'll show Liz a picture of this bike next time we meet. :rolleyes::)

This site DEFINITELY draws a unique subset. Several different ones, in fact.
Agreed. Definitely not just your "average" Harley riders around here.

Point proven.

Well Kev, if the wife doesn't mind, do whatever turns you on. But we don't necessarily want to read about it here.:D:D

Anyway, looked like it would be an AWESOME around town/city bike - commuter. Small, light, cheap, probably very economical on gas.
A mate of mine has recently bought a 450 DIESEL version :yikes, unofficially converted by a UK dealer using a marine engine. It does about 160 miles to the gallon, but is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w.

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th July 2008, 19:43
Well Kev, if the wife doesn't mind, do whatever turns you on. But we don't necessarily want to read about it here.:D:D

A mate of mine has recently bought a 450 DIESEL version :yikes, unofficially converted by a UK dealer using a marine engine. It does about 160 miles to the gallon, but is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w.

LOL - and no need to take conservation THAT far...

reblu
29th July 2008, 20:05

those use to be number plates , in the 60's and 70's british bikes and all common wealth country including Malta had to have 2 number plates , a front and rear 1 ,, shockin aint it !

Spider10
30th July 2008, 01:43
I love it. That was a great bike time period. Looked great, but didn't run great. Lots of work.
I wanted a Triumph Bonneville when I got out of the service in 72. Never did get it but had plenty of others.

sprtrjl
30th July 2008, 03:42
I think this one is going to be a little polarizing.

I didn't like it at first glance, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

A rubbermount 1200R, done up with the lines of a classic brit-bike - kinda ineresting. I'd ride it.

http://thekneeslider.com/images/gb1200r.jpg

I think it looks pretty cool. Since he was starting with a 1200R I'm glad to see he didn't keep the black engine and cases. That, IMO, would have not looked nearly as nice or matched the era that bike represents. The fork boots and chrome fender look good. Spoked wheels, chromed rear fender and a chrome belt guard would have completed the "look" a bit more.
My .02 :p

relayer4u
30th July 2008, 04:13
I like it.

Mine is a bit more of a modern English look, a'la Sportster Interstate...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/relayer4u/Sporty/IMG_0137.jpg

;)

Folkie
30th July 2008, 08:13
I like it but I never understood those fender tagsThat's because they're actually 'mudguard numberplates'. :D

calfunk
30th July 2008, 10:32
A good one, always love brit bikes. I'd rather get a Triumph to this but I'm sure the conversion process and satisfaction is priceless!

Hopper
30th July 2008, 12:04
Nice bike. Looks like a repop '57-era Ironhead two-into-one exhaust system, but I wonder if it fitted straight onto the Evo heads or if the pipes had to be modified.

Tank looks kinda like a Norton Commando Interstate model tank, but it is not. Wonder what it is?

I think the point of the airfilter is it is an old 70s Triumph style, but ont he Trumpies it was tucked in behind the engine so you saw mostly the perforated side part, not the big flat chrome disk.

I like it.

Folkie
30th July 2008, 12:39
Tank looks kinda like a Norton Commando Interstate model tank, but it is not. Wonder what it is?It's a Honda CB500T: Harley GB1200R (http://www.lainefamily.com/GB1200R.htm).

gomorley
30th July 2008, 13:11
That's because they're actually 'mudguard numberplates'. :D
:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack

Moved On / My Own Choice
30th July 2008, 13:43
I think it looks pretty cool. Since he was starting with a 1200R I'm glad to see he didn't keep the black engine and cases.

Actually it started life as an 04 1200R, which didn't come with black engine and cases...

sprtrjl
30th July 2008, 19:10
Actually it started life as an 04 1200R, which didn't come with black engine and cases...

I missed that. :doh

Made it easier for him then. :chtwo

jrossty
30th July 2008, 19:17
"I took the road less traveled and it has made all the difference"...I've always enjoyed Robert Frost... especially that poem.

FrankBlack
30th July 2008, 19:27
I like it. There's that momentary 'what, the fu....oh.....hm....hm...yeah'. Looks great. Good show old chap!

Blaze
31st July 2008, 03:15
I dig it...
Very well done!

Sporting Lad
1st August 2008, 07:24
All it needs to do is lose about 100lb of weight and it'd be near on perfect!

The same could be said for a lot of us! :danceele:danceele:danccow:danceele:danceele

Sporting Lad
1st August 2008, 07:39
I hope the "tins" on that beauty are steel.
I checked out a few of the new Triumphs last week; Thruxton, Bonnie--
Their fenders are all :yikes plastic. Cheesy PLASTIC. Just like a Japanese bike.
Therefore, this example of a Sportster is better than a contemporary British bike.
Remember '67, when the XL and the Bonnie were vying to be top gun?
The Bonnie turned into plastic: XL won. :tour

stealthammer
1st August 2008, 14:39
Hey Kev, thanks for posting it!

I love, with no reservations. It's very well executed and the attention to detail is very impressive. If you didn't know that it started out as a late Sportie, it could pass as a very clean '73-74 (spoked wheels would have made it more of a '70-71). Who ever built it should be very proud and applauded for "nailing" it.

Folkie
1st August 2008, 15:17
Who ever built it should be very proud and applauded for "nailing" it.It's this guy: Brian Laine (http://www.lainefamily.com/GB1200R.htm).

stealthammer
1st August 2008, 16:37
Thanks for the link Folkie! Very cool!!!

Folkie
1st August 2008, 16:41
It's Kev's link really, I'm just repeating it. :geek

Moved On / My Own Choice
1st August 2008, 16:43
It's Kev's link really, I'm just repeating it. :geek

Actually, it's Brian's link - you and I are BOTH just repeating it :laugh

Folkie
1st August 2008, 16:58
Just didn't want to take credit where it wasn't due.

stealthammer
1st August 2008, 17:06
Either way, thank you both. Kev for the original post and Folkie for showing me the link I missed earlier......

Man, I really like this bike! :clap :clap :clap

blkshark
1st August 2008, 17:12
I agree. Very interesting and well done. As an old British bikester myself, this was 'the look' back in the day. Glad to see it in modern times! I do't know what it is about those front fender plates either, but always wanted one on my Triumph. Very British, you know.:laugh