PDA

View Full Version : Blast, Softail and Street Rod - Captain

Captain
11th May 2006, 06:58
Mom took this picture of her two "men" on their respective new bikes:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/marcus_o_reillius/bike/NewBikes-DadandMikeriding.jpg

This is the avatar closer up:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/marcus_o_reillius/bike/NewBikes-DadsandMikes.jpg

This is the old Softail, I have some really tricked up stuff on it which just has to be unique. Technology runs the gauntlet from a Panhead rollertop roller bearing transmission made by RevTech to an Advanced Racing Technology hydraulic clutch. Hidden in the motorcycle are five parts of a woman.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/marcus_o_reillius/bike/FXST84.jpg

And just to prove I have all three, here's the garage - yeah I'm a real neat freak - my family refers to me as Adrian Monk. On the other hand, I insist I'm not related to anyone in my family because they're both slobs.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/marcus_o_reillius/bike/Garage-3bikes01a.jpg

Capt

Lynk
11th May 2006, 07:18
I see nitro-fuel... where's the R/C car or plane hidden? :D

TiBaal89
11th May 2006, 07:20
Great looking garage, I love it... oh, and the bikes too! Nice to have a good floor like that I bet. :tour

Lynk
11th May 2006, 07:22
LOL!!! He's trying to show off his new bikes, and we're both admiring his garage! :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

Jimbo999
11th May 2006, 07:24
A clean garage is a sighn of a sick mind.................j/k Wish I had one. :roflblack

TiBaal89
11th May 2006, 07:25
LOL!!! He's trying to show off his new bikes, and we're both admiring his garage! :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

Yea, no kidding! Hey, that kind of thing will happen when you have a garage like that... :banana :tour :banana

Captain
11th May 2006, 16:18
Thanks I guess for the ringing endorsement for a sick mind :p

The floor was a bear. Originally painted in green oil based paint, it had been worn off in two conical swipes from the car tires of the previous owner. I had to bring in a sandblasting unit to get the old paint off.

In June, dressed in a heavy long-sleeved shirt, jeans with the ankles rubber-banded, work gloves, and the big hood with a small glass front and sweating like a pig - I'd switch on two 500 watt work light stands and fire up the 275 cfm compressor and hit the trigger. Visibility would instantly go down to about 8 inches. Somehow I managed to get all the paint off the floor. There was so much sand dust coming out of my garage, my neighbors thought the house was on fire. It took me a week to get all the sand out of my house.

After vacuuming and washing the floor several times, I etched the tire tracks I hadn't needed to sandblast with muric acid. I used Sherwin William epoxy paint for the floor. If you go with an epoxy floor, use the "sand" which really are small fiberglass pellets; this stuff dries slick and if you have anything wet on it, it's as slippery as ice. You would lose control of a bike with wet tires easily. Mixing up a portion of the epoxy and resin, I donned a bio-filter mask and blocked in the edges around the three walls just in time. Once you put the two components together, you have 45 minutes to put it down.

It took 4 cans of the stuff at $75 dollars a can (and this was in '96) to do the floor. You can put about a gallon of the stuff down in 45 minutes with a roller brush on a stick. When the last bit starts to get "sticky" quickly pull up your roller, wait a few seconds, and it'll be as hard as concrete. Throw roller away and the pan liner with any hardened "paint" left in it, and repeat. You can walk on it in a day or two and it cures within three or four days if I remember right.

Do not use this in a confined living space unless you're not going to be living there for a while. This stuff is toxic. Wearing the bio-filter mask, it'd be like a fine spring day (which it was) while painting inside the garage. In between cans, I'd take a break over at my neighbor's garage and remove my mask - the fumes were overpowering 50ft away and upwind.

Once you get it down though, it's great. Metal will scratch it so you have to use pads for your kickstands. Tires don't affect it. For some reason, cat food stains it. UV light will discolor and weaken it; you can tell where the garage door comes down and which part is outside. You can wipe oil spills right up. Lacquer thinner will pull up the color, so all you really need to clean the floor is soap and water. I usually mop it out after the winter to get the salt up, but otherwise all it needs is a good brooming or a quick zip from the leaf blower.

The best part about a painted garage floor though is no more concrete dust. Not only that, but if you drop something like a small washer on it, you can usually find it because it's all one color. The floor is ten years old now, and while it's not as shiny as it first was, still looks good.

:3:

E-Man
24th July 2006, 16:10
Nice bikes and nice garage! How do you like the Street Rod?