PDA

View Full Version : Scramblin' a Sporty?

Big Daddy Chris
11th May 2006, 23:50
With Triumph coming out with their well recieved 900 Scrambler, based a little on the historical Triumph Scramblers has anyone thought about doing a a Scrambler treatment to a Sporty. The idea intrigues me, but I had a thought that's what a dirt tracker was.... Agree, disagree??

BDC

doc
11th May 2006, 23:54
Somebody posted pictures of their bike just the other day that looked like the scrambler. I can't remember who it was though. It was a really sweet lookin scoot though.

jack82
12th May 2006, 01:24
Scramblers and dirt trackers are different beasts............

Scrambles were the forerunner for modern day outdoor motocross............

The new Triumph was built for "looks".........it aint no dirt bike........:frownthre

L.B.
12th May 2006, 01:51
Buell should do something similar to the Uly, but more Supermoto inspired. It would be a hit.

Big Daddy Chris
12th May 2006, 06:40
I know the true Scrambling origins of motocross, and that the new 900 Scrambler isn't anything else but a gravel trail bike at best. I was thinking about doing something like that to an 883 XLR, high pipes, dirt tracker bars, raise the rear suspension, heavy grade fork oil, etc. I was wondering if anybody had done the deed and could provide lessons learned or comment on how the Sport performed off road...

BDC

Vegas1200C
12th May 2006, 07:09
Just throwing out my opinion here, I did a lot of enduro riding as a kid but I'm no expert. I would think the Sporty is way to heavy to be a decent trail bike. I'm guessing you would need new rims, tires, new gears and sprocket along with what you have already mentioned. I also can't imagine laying that much weight down and not getting hurt.

If you were doing it for looks only I could see it being something unique and probably very cool but I don't think I would want to take it on a trail.

jack82
12th May 2006, 08:25
I know the true Scrambling origins of motocross, and that the new 900 Scrambler isn't anything else but a gravel trail bike at best. I was thinking about doing something like that to an 883 XLR, high pipes, dirt tracker bars, raise the rear suspension, heavy grade fork oil, etc. I was wondering if anybody had done the deed and could provide lessons learned or comment on how the Sport performed off road...

BDC

I looked into doing it years ago.........but it's alota work and $$$ for very little return........

Like vegas sez.......the weights the main issue..........but you'd also have to spend a heap of $$$$ on parts and mods..........and you'd still end up with a bike that couldn't keep up with a 30 year old dirt bike.......:o

There's a couple of nice converted sporties on ADV rider.........worth looking at If your interested in going that way.......

edman
12th May 2006, 11:50
I know this isn’t what you were talking about. My point is… if you can do this to a Sportster you can do just about anything.

Go for it man. As they say in the marine industry… Whatever floats your boat.

http://www.earth2us.com/xlforum/bajaharley.jpg

Big Daddy Chris
12th May 2006, 15:30
I was more thinking about making the Harley Equivilent to the new Scrambler, not actually making a FULL ENDURO out of a Sporty. Something I wouldn't mind bouncing down a rough road, not something I was thinking of being Jeremy McGrath on.....

Maybe that makes it a poser bike?

ken01976
12th May 2006, 15:53
Ive taken my 883r out on the trails behind my house. All hills and grass and dirt and on stock dunlops. It handled pretty good but slid some when it got on the wet grass. Fun stuff.

wolfgang
15th May 2006, 17:13
I also took my 883R (taller shocks, upswept exhaust) onto dirt trails and had a hell of a time in sand and wet stuff. The bike is heavy and I got a real work out manhandling it out of stuck places. Plus, the stock tires aren't good for that kind of stuff, but the wheel sizes don't allow for agressive tires. I think the sportster is fine on gravel roads and even maintained fire trails, but anything more gnarley just isn't worth the stress.

Grizzly Adams
26th May 2006, 19:33
May be dating myself here, but I do remember "back in the day" that many of the old desert racing types were still running Triumphs, Rickmans with Triumph engines, Gold Stars and, yes, even stripped down Sportsters. We called them "desert sleds" and riding them was more a matter of controled slides in and around, rather than over things! Don't recall those boys "catching air,"!!!;)

Big Daddy Chris
19th June 2006, 22:24
Looked into this a little, and decided if I really wanted a Scrambled Sporty I should just buy a Buell Ulysses and be done with it... Thanks for the ideas and suggestions...

BDC

snowman
19th June 2006, 22:48
Watch reruns of "Then Came Bronson" and you'll get an idea of the hill climbing power the mighty sporty had...:banana:banana:banana

Y2K
20th June 2006, 06:01
Harley actually made a factory Sporty scrambler back in the day.

1959 XLCH with high pipe for scrambles.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/y2keglide/picview.jpg

Big Daddy Chris
8th September 2006, 21:36
See now that is cool......

I am starting to rethink a modern re-incarnation.

ed_in_az
8th September 2006, 21:45
Sportsters are fine on dirt roads, even easy trails.:)

I wouldn't do it often or far, but it's not a big deal. Just be cautious with the weight. Their low end torque makes slow going easy.

streetfightster
9th September 2006, 17:53
a honda xr650 is pushin 400 pounds by the time you put a desert tank on it.
i think a sporty could make a cool desert bike, wouldnt want to ride any single track forest trails on it.

Harvey Mushman
10th September 2006, 08:17
How about this...http://www.trak-tek.com/index.html
Maybe with some on-off road tires?

4banger
10th September 2006, 19:24
Sportsters are fine on dirt roads, even easy trails.:)

I wouldn't do it often or far, but it's not a big deal. Just be cautious with the weight. Their low end torque makes slow going easy.
Except in the sand, then it's light weight and horsepower that will be your best friend. I saw I guy on a old 650 BMW riding in the baja 500 with a rear tire in the front for extra floation in the sand. I think you would need some real meat up front to go slow in the sand or you would blow up your motor after a while trying to stay up on top of the sand. And air way down.

ed_in_az
11th September 2006, 02:22
Except in the sand, then it's light weight and horsepower that will be your best friend. I saw I guy on a old 650 BMW riding in the baja 500 with a rear tire in the front for extra floation in the sand. I think you would need some real meat up front to go slow in the sand or you would blow up your motor after a while trying to stay up on top of the sand. And air way down.

You are right. My Sportster doesnt' like sand at all. Even the newer 150 tires go right down in it. Like I said, dirt roads are fine. It is just too heavy for sand. I don't imagine mud would be fun either.

c pierce
11th September 2006, 06:45
I road hair & hound back in the sixties. If you are interested in how to set up your bike e mail me.