PDA

View Full Version : New V-rod 'R' model

sportsterrific
14th February 2005, 16:24
I know, I know, it's not a Sportster, and I know people have mixed feelings about V-rods, but I happen to like them. I checked out the new V-Rod 'R' model at my local dealer on the weekend, and man, is it ever a cool ride. Feels like a Cafe Racer, Brembo brakes, upside down forks, cafe bars and seat, 120hp - sweet! It's what they should have done with the V-rod from the beginning. It needs a carbon-fibre exhaust to complete the package.
I'm keeping my Sporty until I can afford one of those. The salesman told me one per dealer in Canada, $24K CDN. He also commented how the original V-Rod is basically a concept bike and HD has better things in store for it.

Scarecrow2311
14th February 2005, 17:51
I have yet to see one in persong but YA its a very cool..

I picked up a copy of Motorcycling MAg this weeak end with a Test ride / review of it..they loved it !! ( this is a main stream sport bike mag not a harley /chopper mag)

but its Def WAY outta my price range....V-Rod is the bike that got me BACK into the Dealership after not even thinking about buying one last year..while in there I saw the new 04 883C & the rest is history.....

UberXY
14th February 2005, 18:17
The V-Rod got me into a Harley dealer for the first time in my life. Basically, I was attracted to the Porsche engine, as I race Porsches. I did not like the styling at all, and had a great BMW R1100S at the time, so no sale. But they are moving in the right direction with the R.

Uber

missyd
14th February 2005, 18:45
VROD? I rather buy another GSXR than I would think about buying a VROD .... :yikes ;) :D

sportsterrific
14th February 2005, 18:53
Well considering I've had a GS1150EF, 2 GS 550's, and a GS 750 over the years & I am a big fan of Suzuki sportbikes (they do make the best sportbikes), I'd have to agree if you're looking for a pure sportbike. The V-rod is more a cafe racer style than a true sportbike, at only twice the price of a GSXR1000!
But I like it anyway. It's not the usual V-rod style. If you sit on one, you'll see what I mean.
I'll try to get a demo ride on one this spring.

Phil R
14th February 2005, 19:52
There is definitely a Street Rod in my future. But of course my Sporty stays!

Dragbike1k
14th February 2005, 22:55
They have just making a more expensive VMAX. I have to admit that I like it though.

SportsterSpive
19th February 2005, 05:09
I like it, just can't afford it. For that reason next bike will probably be a Buell XB9R.

--Sean

Phil R
23rd February 2005, 12:39
Got my first look at a Street Rod yesterday at my local dealer. It's an impressive looking hunk of machinery! I noticed that the mid controls are further back relative to the seat position than on my Sporty. Unfortunately, this would be a major problem for me as I'm short, 5"8", and can't plant my feet on the ground by reaching forward of or behind the pegs. The only position that works for me has my calves against the end of the pegs.... very uncomfortable. I can also see a problem with my pants/chaps hanging up on the pegs when going from peg to ground at a stop. I expect that this will be a problem for others as well.

DOHCFOX
17th October 2007, 04:27
The V-Rod got me into a Harley dealer for the first time in my life. Basically, I was attracted to the Porsche engine, as I race Porsches. I did not like the styling at all, and had a great BMW R1100S at the time, so no sale. But they are moving in the right direction with the R.

Uber

Porsche engine? I thought that Porsche Engineering in Detroit (at the time) only helped Harley engineer the heads and valve train? That said, it might be a little inaccurate to call the motor a Porsche engine. Can you provide any tech?

Thanks!

JT

SteveK
17th October 2007, 04:35
They dont make it anymore :(

Roadster_Rider
17th October 2007, 04:42
They dont make it anymore :(

That's some deep grave diggin!

John1200
18th October 2007, 00:13
Porsche engine? I thought that Porsche Engineering in Detroit (at the time) only helped Harley engineer the heads and valve train? That said, it might be a little inaccurate to call the motor a Porsche engine. Can you provide any tech?

Thanks!

JT

Porsche pretty much designed and built the engine prototypes. There was a program on the Discovery Channel four or five years ago. The prototypes were built and tested in Germany with a lot of testing on the Autobahn at sustained speed.

MA1
18th October 2007, 03:44
Thats not quite accurate. In 1997, HD shipped a VR-1000 engine to Porsche Engineering concepts, a division of Porsche that does contract/consulting engineering. HD and Porsche have had a relationship going back to the NOVA project. HD was hip deep in the Twin Cam project at this time as well. HD engineering also has several other projects in the pipeline that you'll be seeing in the next few years . . .

Ennyways, HD asked Porsche to help their engineers adapt the VR-1000 architecture for mass production. Buell was brought on board around this time, and it was he that suggested the bore and stroke combo that ended up with the 1130 displacement. (note that the new Buell engine is 1125cc. Buell likes this displacement)

Buell had hoped this engine could be used in his upcoming XB series of bikes, but HD wanted a heavier cased engine that could be bored and stroked in future expansions, giving a longer production life cycle. Buell would continue with modified X engines until more money could be freed up for the current Helicon project.