PDA

View Full Version : Installing Progressive 412's on a 1200C

dave
14th February 2005, 18:38
I know this issue has been covered, but I can't find the dang article.

What's the best way to remove the stock shocks and install the new ones? Just one at a time whilst resting on the jiffy stand? Obviously, I don't want the shocks be in tension or compression when I attempt this operation. I have a lift, but if I use it, I think the shock might be in tension.

And anybody know the size of of the Torx bolt on the shocks?

xaran
14th February 2005, 18:47
I changed mine on my lift. Back wheel off the ground. No problem as long as you do them one at a time.

Xaran

Speedy818
14th February 2005, 19:31
Well, when I did my 13.5" 412's, I found that they were slightly longer than stock, so the eyelet's didn't line up when I did the "one at a time thing. Raising and lowering the bike on the lift let me line them up right away. A lift is very useful and can be had for $50 if you find one on sale at Pep Boys or Sears. THere's directions for making a homemade "lift" that rotates a piece of lumber to get the bike off the ground, but I'm not sure if that's the best tool for this job.

Take all of the preload off of the shocks before working - you won't have a problem.

As far as the actual installation - I found the upper bolts very easy to get off, the lower ones, not so much. The belt drive side is very tight, you might want to take your muffler off to avoid scratching it. Those nuts/bolts are lock-tited on there and aren't going anywhere easily - make sure you have long socket wrenches & crescent wrenches to get a lot of torque on those puppies. Vise grips might not be a bad idea either. I don't remember the Torx size (45?), but it was included in my Torx socket set I got from Sears, so it shouldn't be a very uncommon size.

Go slow & give yourself plenty of time - it's no harder than a Stage I upgrade.

Speedy

Mechano
14th February 2005, 20:55
Well, when I did my 13.5" 412's, I found that they were slightly longer than stock, so the eyelet's didn't line up when I did the "one at a time thing.

Is 13.5" the right lenght of the shocks for a '04 XL1200C?

dave
14th February 2005, 21:14
Is 13.5" the right lenght of the shocks for a '04 XL1200C?

The "eye to eye" length on a stock 2004 1200C is 11.75". But you can install whatever length you want (within reason) with an aftermarket shock. I am going with a 12.5" 412 (3/4" longer than stock).

Speedy818
14th February 2005, 21:26
I put 13.5" on my 1200R - stock length 13.125".

Dave - if you're going longer, I definitely would do it on the jack, both shocks at once.

Take off both shocks. Put the bottom eyelets of the new shocks loosely onto the swingarm, then hold the top of the shock up by the socket in the fender as you jack the bike up further. Get the socket a little higher than you need to, then VERY slowly loosen the hydraulic release on the lift. As the lift comes down to the correct level, close the release tightly and install the top eyelet. You're set. Tighten top & bottom to spec & you're done.

SPeedy

dave
14th February 2005, 21:31
Thanks! Speedy! I'll do it that way...