PDA

View Full Version : New sigs = dead headlight, running lights and running taillight?

JC6715
15th May 2006, 16:10
I installed new single filament front and rear turn signals this weekend and they work great. However, the headlight, and running taillight are now not working. Got the volt meter out and the wires for the running lights from the original front turn signals, headlight, and running taillight aren't getting any juice.

The brake light still works, so it's not a bulb. The bulb on the headlight is still good. The bike starts and runs fine. Battery connections are clean and tight. The bike is new to me and haven't yet gotten a manual. Is there a fuse box hiding somewhere? Any body have any ideas?

Bike info - 2003 1200C

Thanks for the help!

Moved On
15th May 2006, 16:15
There are fuses behind the triangular panel next to the battery. Just pull on the panel and it will pop off (you DO NOT have to remove the screws!!!).

You've blown a fuse for the lights. It's a 15 amp spade type, same kind used in cars. The headlight and taillight are on a different fuse than the turn signals and brake light.

The front turn signal bulbs should be dual filament not single filament.

You can download a PDF file of the mainharness wiring that I drew up a couple years ago here: http://home.twcny.rr.com/embedded/docs/

Gazza

gusotto
15th May 2006, 16:19
I had the wiring harness slip out under my rear fender at twilight. As I rode along, I noticed the lights were gone. No running lights or headlights but my turn signals still worked. I thought about turning on the 4-way flashers but I was too far from home to get there without running in the dark. Bike ran ok.
Parked it, hauled it home and found my wiring problem.

It took out my fuse.

Evidently the turn signals are feed from another fuse.

Replaced the fuse, got my headlight and running lights back (after fixing the bare wires.)

Check the fuse module. One fuse may be blown.

P.S.
There are spare fuses under the fuse module, along with a plastic fuse puller. Replace your fuse and buy some more for next time.
I carry the extras with me. Better than sitting in the toolbox at home. They are small.....

JC6715
15th May 2006, 16:37
Are the fuses under some kind of cover behind the ignition module cover, cuz I pulled that off and didn't see any obvious fuses... Hopefully my frustration just blinded me a little... Thanks a lot for the wiring schematic, VERY helpful...

SkippyRay
15th May 2006, 16:39
Yes it is in the the plastic housing mounted to the back of the cover. Pull them out and check. :)

JC6715
15th May 2006, 16:45
Rock and Roll, thanks guys. I'll check tonight and let y'all know how it turns out...

Couldn't take it, ran home for lunch to check if it was just a fuse... It was! For a guy who isn't familiar with Sportsters, I'd have to say that is a pretty tricky spot for the fuse box. Everything is working good, for now.

Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated!