PDA

View Full Version : Break-In speed(s) on '04-'05 ?

ed_in_az
15th February 2005, 23:48
I had planned to truck my '05 883 home when it arrives, like I did my '03 since the break-in speed limitation was 50mph or there abouts(on the '03). The salesman said the new Sportys are OK up to 70mph for the first 50 miles, then 80 after that. Is he right or not? What does the manual say?

Thanks,
Ed in Az

albe
15th February 2005, 23:59
Ed,

from the manual (for my '05)

1. while riding the first 50 miles avoid operating at steady engine speed for long distances. Keep the engine speed below 3000rpm in any gear (fun with no tack). Do not lug the engine in higher gears by running or accelerating at very low RPM. Do not exceed speed for each gear as noted in table 25 (0-50 miles = 1st-23, 2nd-33, 3rd-43, 4th-52, 5th-60), (50-500 miles = 1st-27, 2nd-38, 3rd-50, 4th-60, 5th-70).

2. Up to 500 miles, avoid operating at any steady speed for long distances. engine speed up to 3500 RPM in any gear is permissible. Do not exceed the speed noted above.

3. Avoid fast starts at wide-open thorttle. Drive slowly until the engine has warmed up.

4. Avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be broken-in by moderate use for the first 200 miles.

-----------------

I live in AZ as well...Bought my scoot from Arrowhead...told them I bought it for commuting to work on the FREEWAY. They said 65mph would be fine on the break-in as long as I varied my RPMs.

Good luck, and ENJOY.

GOTWA
16th February 2005, 00:03
Howdy Ed,

Just this past Friday I brought home a brand new 05 XL883. This is exactly what my salesman told me, "I don't care what the manual says or what you hear this is how to break in your bike. For the first 50 miles, nothing over 50mph or 2800rpm's. After that, nothing over 55mph or 3400rpm's for 500 miles. And try to alter the throttle a little so it doesn't run constant for too long. Now all that is pretty much standard HD talk and it is sound advice. But, don't get so over concerned about it that you lug the bike. Lugging it is the worst thing you can do. If you gotta get in it, get in it, just don't make it for long or too extreme."

While I'm new to owning a Harley, I'm not new to engines. That's a whole bunch of fresh metal moving at high speeds. Be nice to it.

I reckon I look at my bike like a woman. Sure you can go all out right off the bat but it will likely fade. But if you start slow, and take your time, and treat her right in the beginning, the rewards will be amazing down the road!

stevo
16th February 2005, 00:08
To add to what Albe said......

Stick within the ranges recomended by the manual but ya need to add a little touch to bed the rings in..

Take it up to about 50mph in top and crack the throttle to full and hold untill it gets to about 70mph and then back off the throttle to closed until it gets back to 50 and then cruise at that for a few more miles and repeat.....keep repeating this regularly....

This helps bed the rings in and reduces the chances of having blow-by problems....

I wouldn't be holding at 70 untill ya had a couple of hundred miles on it...stay off the freeway and take the back road...it's more fun anyway..and it's better for runnin the motor in.....you got some great backroads in AZ...

albe
16th February 2005, 00:17
you got some great backroads in AZ...

Not to hijack el' threado, but here's an AWESOME site for some nice days rides outta the phx area:

http://www.cyclerides.com/

I agree with staying off the freeway for awhile....staying within those RPM boundaries on the 101 will damned near get you killed.

TenSixx
16th February 2005, 01:01
It's funny cause I had the same questions for three dealers in my area when I got mine, and they all said "Ride it like you stole it" and the most sensible answer I got was to keep rpms down, vary speeds, and definatley don't bog it down. Seriously though the guys at the dealer really had that attitude of "ahhh, your not gonna hurt that bike" and told me just to ride it. Well, of course I babied it for 500 miles, varied the speeds the whole time, never over 70, and didn't let it bog down.

ed_in_az
16th February 2005, 04:41
Thanks guys, and Albe especially for "The Book" version. I'll be heading east from Superstition HD in A.J., so varying from 55-65mph, I should be OK. I'd really rather ride it home. It's about 50 miles. That would be the only time I'll get a chance to ride on the stock seat, just to know what it feels like(har, har, har), since my LePera is already in my garage, waiting. Thinking about it, I think the saleman did say 60-70mph for the first 50 miles, so he was pretty close to the book I guess. ...and yeah, Az has some great riding, I love it. I can't wait to get back on 2 wheels.

albe
17th February 2005, 00:29
Ride her home....Superstition in AJ shouldn't be too bad, eh?

nardo
17th February 2005, 02:09
Try this link www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm it has an interesting article about break in.

stevo
17th February 2005, 05:31
Try this link www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm it has an interesting article about break in.

Mr mototunes ideas are a little over simplistic.......

he's not takin a few other things into account, such as bottom ends

Ride the backroads... and ride it hard, when it's warm but don't flog it stupid from day one

GOTWA
17th February 2005, 15:26
Do you really need to seat the rings on the new bikes? Harley doesn't do that? Just curious because if they don't then they should definately make that clear. That's just a mildly important detail for the future of the engine. And it would also fly in the face of their own manual.

stevo
18th February 2005, 01:59
Do you really need to seat the rings on the new bikes? Harley doesn't do that? Just curious because if they don't then they should definately make that clear. That's just a mildly important detail for the future of the engine. And it would also fly in the face of their own manual.

How often do you here people complaining of oil blow by problems on Harleys????

Pretty often...

I've never had a an oil problem on any engine I've bedded the rings in my way........... and that's gettin up into the hundeds

thunderpaw
18th February 2005, 02:05
Mr mototunes ideas are a little over simplistic.......

Thanks for the validation. I agree with the concept...I feel most factory recommendations for break in are too conservative. I buy loading the rings, but not the bottom end.

Kim