PDA

View Full Version : wiring

dmraco
24th May 2006, 14:41
Anyone wire a bike completely from scratch?? I will be wiring the ridid I am putting together and this is the one item that make me nervous. I was considering the products from WIRE PLUS. Anyone with experience in this field??

sportsterwheelies
24th May 2006, 15:15
Ive never done it before, but if you can follow a schematic its not bad at all. its just following a diagram and checking and rechecking

Gunfighter
24th May 2006, 15:42
Doing it now. The preman'd harness's are pretty close to original. and other than not taking enough notes around the circuit breakers, it's going in pretty easily.

chrishajer
24th May 2006, 15:46
I wired my bike completely from scratch, because I took off most of my switches, gauges, turn signals, horn and other fluff. I still ended up with way more wiring with the circuit breakers and electronic ignition than I expected, but there's still less than stock. For me, it made sense to wire from scratch.

Wire Plus makes some nice stuff. I did one custom bike that used their kits. IIRC, it was modular, like you would order lighting and electronic ignition or something, for whatever bike. They have a neat circuit breaker/ignition key switch box, which was the whole reason we went with it. On a rigid, you gotta find cool places to hide all the stuff.

--Chris

Nurple
24th May 2006, 15:51
I did a 100% wiring on my ride. No harness, stock or aftermarket. Just a sh*t load of wire, as many color codings as you can get, soldering set up and shrink wrap. I found a wirring diagram via the forum and jumped in. It looks like a huge undertaking, but honestly after the first few wires, it just feels natural.

A friend of mine who just rebulit an enduro, said he added one more step to the process for added weatherproofing, after soldering, before shrink wrap, he coated the connections with silicone glue. Sounds like a good idea, as it further prevents dirty connections.