PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Shovster engine up for sale...

snowman
26th August 2008, 17:00
Not wanting to but other issues and priorities are forcing me to put the shovelhead-sportster engine I have up for sale. Includes everything but the valvetrain, electronics and carb...:geek:geek:geek

If you are seriously interested, PM me...

milmat1
26th August 2008, 18:39
Sorry to hear you have to sell it !

I wish you luck !

RichLo
26th August 2008, 19:10
PM sent

its a shovel/sportster engine? does it bolt into an ironhead frame?

snowman
26th August 2008, 19:38
PM sent

its a shovel/sportster engine? does it bolt into an ironhead frame?

Should go in. They're 1980 cases...:geek:geek:geek

I sent you back a pm...

snowman
26th August 2008, 23:06
Want to offer it up here before I take it to eBay...:geek:geek:geek

russzx6
26th August 2008, 23:14
:frownone arrggghhh Russ, i was looking forward to hearing a video of the beast!!

snowman
26th August 2008, 23:43
:frownone arrggghhh Russ, i was looking forward to hearing a video of the beast!!

Yeah, me too!

I have the glide to rebuild and the bobber to finish. :wonderlan :wonderlan :wonderlan

How about you finishing it???:banana:banana:banana

russzx6
26th August 2008, 23:56
I'm closing in on my 77 fire up. . . plus it would cost a fortune to send to Oz!!!:frownthre

snowman
27th August 2008, 01:16
I'm closing in on my 77 fire up. . . plus it would cost a fortune to send to Oz!!!:frownthre

Coxbow says if I send it as a gift, it's cheaper...:banana:banana:banana

ericfreeman
27th August 2008, 01:20
How much are you wanting to get for it? And, how far did you get with the project after you acquired it?

Eric

snowman
27th August 2008, 01:30
How much are you wanting to get for it? And, how far did you get with the project after you acquired it?

Eric

Ended up using the frame on my bobber project. Ron Trock said the pieces I have from him go for about $1700, so I'm looking for $1500. Plus you get a set of modified 1980 cases with title, an S&S stroker kit and a new set of gears for the trans case...:smoke

ericfreeman
27th August 2008, 01:58
Any idea of how much work remains to be done to get the motor running? Specifically, is there a lot of custom machine work still to be done? This would make a nice winter project, depending.

Eric

mjbogrand
27th August 2008, 05:19
Maybe a dumb question,is this mating shovelhead jugs to sporty cases?

billeuze
27th August 2008, 05:25
What does, everything but valvetrain mean? is it just the pushrods and tapet blocks missing? Isn't there some case modification needed to change the angle on the tapets? I assume the heads and rocker covers are all still complete and set up as per original shovel, are they? How about cams?

snowman
27th August 2008, 14:11
What does, everything but valvetrain mean? is it just the pushrods and tapet blocks missing? Isn't there some case modification needed to change the angle on the tapets? I assume the heads and rocker covers are all still complete and set up as per original shovel, are they? How about cams?

Cases ARE ALREADY MACHINED!!!

Heads, barrels and rocker boxes are custom parts by Ron Trock to accomplish the task. There are no cams. lifters, valves or pushrods (use adjustables) included in what I have.

This engine takes the shovelhead top end Barrels, pistons, rods and flywheels and puts it in a set of sporty cases. All the SPECIAL STUFF I HAVE.

RichLo
27th August 2008, 18:03
minor question but for the valvetrain, where does the sportster end and shovel begin? (sporty lifters and shovel PRs?) is there any more custom work that needs to be done, or pretty much just assemble everything?

Do you have any pictures?

Im interested in it as a winter project also.

snowman
27th August 2008, 20:04
minor question but for the valvetrain, where does the sportster end and shovel begin? (sporty lifters and shovel PRs?) is there any more custom work that needs to be done, or pretty much just assemble everything?
Do you have any pictures?
Im interested in it as a winter project also.

Cams are sporty, pushrods need to be adjustable, rest of the valvetrain is shovel. I'm going to lay it all out tonite, shoot some fotos, then put them up for you to take a look.

snowman
27th August 2008, 23:42
I have fotos of all the parts for whoever is interested (pm me with your email).
I sent four sets out to the guys who pm'd me earlier...:banana:banana:banana

snowman
28th August 2008, 02:01
A few more details...:geek:geek:geek

The flywheels are 4 1/2" stroke and the pistons are 3 7/16" (new S&S parts) for a displacement of 83.5254492 Cubic Inches...:banana:banana:banana

RichLo
28th August 2008, 02:30
whats the compression?

ericfreeman
28th August 2008, 04:33
Will this engine fit in a stock Sportster frame?

Eric

billeuze
28th August 2008, 04:42
Will this engine fit in a stock Sportster frame?

Eric

well the bottom end should fit but the jugs are taller so will require a customized frame with a backbone a bit higher than stock, and of course the top motor mounts will have to be adapted because the heads will be spaced i bit further apart than a regular sporty

ericfreeman
28th August 2008, 05:10
well the bottom end should fit but the jugs are taller so will require a customized frame with a backbone a bit higher than stock, and of course the top motor mounts will have to be adapted because the heads will be spaced i bit further apart than a regular sporty

I was afraid the taller jugs and heads would require frame mods. Don't think I'm up for that since I already have two nice running Ironheads. Hope someone buys this engine and gets it running so we can hear about it.

Eric

snowman
28th August 2008, 13:05

I put the cases in the frame with a barrel and head on and they didn't look any higher than the 97 sporty motor I ended up mounting in the frame (paughco rigid)! If someone has the measurements from the bottom of the barrel to the top of the rocker box on a stock '80's ironhead, I'll set it up tonite and measure it out...:geek:geek:geek

billeuze
28th August 2008, 16:13
I put the cases in the frame with a barrel and head on and they didn't look any higher than the 97 sporty motor I ended up mounting in the frame (paughco rigid)! If someone has the measurements from the bottom of the barrel to the top of the rocker box on a stock '80's ironhead, I'll set it up tonite and measure it out...:geek:geek:geek

Hmm, isn't that interesting. 10-3/4 inches measured on the flat side of the rocker box, from the outside bottom corner of the barrel to the highest peak of the rocker box (from an '85 ironhead).

snowman
28th August 2008, 23:56
Looks like the shovster has a new home...:banana:banana:banana

Thanks for all the input & interest...:xlrocks