PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Motorcycle Jack & 883L

mark883
22nd November 2004, 14:00
Don't know if this is the right section or not, but for you 883 Low owners out there, beware, your bike's too low!

To get this thing underneath my Sporty, I had to put a 1" block underneath the kickstand, and remove the front metal wheels from the jack. This gave me just enough clearance to weasel the jack under my bike. (But another 1/2" would be great) However, without the front wheels on the jack, it makes moving the bike around on the jack very.....um.....difficult.

I figured for $80 on sale, it would be worth trying- not too badly built, if you can ignore the "built in china" label. :(

I'll probably keep the thing, because I'll use it mainly for washing & cleaning at this point.

chuckp
22nd November 2004, 14:26
Try putting a couple of pieces of plywood in front of your front and rear tires and rolling the bike up onto them. That should give you enough clearance for the jack. That's what I have to do to mine now that I've lowered it, works like a charm.

XLFREAK
22nd November 2004, 14:27
I have a custom with 412 shocks in the rear and a degree raked trees, the ground clearance is about 3 inches, less than the low. I have the same jack but instead of dismantling the jack I just drive the front tire on to a flat piece of wood about 1 and a half inches thick and slip the jack under the bike.

sean883
22nd November 2004, 14:37
I do just like the others, roll the bike up on some small blocks then slide the jack under.

mark883
22nd November 2004, 15:08
Hmmm. Prejack before jacking. Sounds like that will work. I had thought about that last night, but not having the appropriate pieces of wood, I didn't try it. Plus, that would make things easier and more convenient. Why would I want to do that? :)

thanks guys...

rottenralph
22nd November 2004, 15:33
I lay my pipestyle jack under the bike and lift. Done with prejacking and post jacking.

slolane
22nd November 2004, 15:37
I have a custom with 412 shocks in the rear and a degree raked trees, the ground clearance is about 3 inches, less than the low. I have the same jack but instead of dismantling the jack I just drive the front tire on to a flat piece of wood about 1 and a half inches thick and slip the jack under the bike.

Yup, good point. I just put my rear shocks on yesterday and discovered the same thing http://images5.theimagehosting.com/ThumbsUp.gif

XLFREAK
22nd November 2004, 15:50
Good thing we stopped you before you dug a trench in the garage for the jack.

Darhawk
22nd November 2004, 15:51
The motorcycle lifts on sale through the Sam's Clubs work great. A little pricey at $170, but when it comes to lifting the bike and working on it safely, it's worth it.

XLFREAK
22nd November 2004, 16:01
Woo Hoo, the UPS guy just paid me a visit and brought with him a proressive spring kit. I'm hoping I could get about an inch of ride height back with these babys, right now I can't even get over a speedbump, literally.

mark883
22nd November 2004, 16:47
Good thing we stopped you before you dug a trench in the garage for the jack.

Crap! I already jackhammered out the concrete. :cry1

Always wanted a drive-over bike jack anyways.

Darhawk
22nd November 2004, 17:26
Could always use it as a hot tub:D

twinsporty
22nd November 2004, 18:07
Or a place to bury all those other bikes that you might have laying around

Samueul
24th November 2004, 04:06
I just purchased the Torin(I think that's what it is called) jack from pepboys for like 60 buckes. Only thing I had to do was hammer down the front "pull" bracket on the jack. works great with my 883std.

cantolina
24th November 2004, 04:18
Don't know if this is the right section or not, but for you 883 Low owners out there, beware, your bike's too low!

To get this thing underneath my Sporty, I had to put a 1" block underneath the kickstand, and remove the front metal wheels from the jack. This gave me just enough clearance to weasel the jack under my bike. (But another 1/2" would be great) However, without the front wheels on the jack, it makes moving the bike around on the jack very.....um.....difficult.

I figured for $80 on sale, it would be worth trying- not too badly built, if you can ignore the "built in china" label. :(

I'll probably keep the thing, because I'll use it mainly for washing & cleaning at this point.

Sam's Club has a great bike lift for 40.00. Same one you get at TSC for 100.00....Interesting to know if any other Low owners have used this lift?...

radar
24th November 2004, 21:28
Where do those of you using the Craftsman lift set it under the bike? I just got one as an early Xmas gift, and tried it out in a couple of spots. Seems a little tippy front to back if you try to miss the stand, and wont line up under the frame cross channels. Do you use the front channel and the casting in the back? That seemed best to me.
Thanks, WT

FastFwd
24th November 2004, 21:57
I have a Harbor Freight ATV lift (59.99 + 5.99 for 1 yr warranty - I only pay ext'd warr for jacks) and had to put 1x2 blocks that were shorter than the lifting pads on top for pipe clearance. I position it at the front frame crossmember and wherever it hits on the back leaving the stand down out of the way. Fairly stable. I am satisfied with my modified "fitzall" lift.
BTW - don't leave your bike raised on a lift overnight unless you use the mechanical locking feature (I believe most, if not all, have one). Some leak down after awhile. ("I don't remember lowering it before I went in last night...hmmm.") Good thing I had the stand down. :o

thunderpaw
24th November 2004, 23:13
I have the Craftsman jack that I use on my 1200R. With the bike on the jiffy stand, I roll the jack under the frame from the opposite side until it touches the jiffy stand. I vary the fore/aft location depending on what I am trying to do...if I just need the front end up, I locate the right pad about an inch back from the bottom front of the frame. If I want the bike level, I place the right pad just to the right of the jiffy stand. I then grab the bike, pull it off the stand and start pumping. Works great...plus I can always leave the jiffy stand deployed in case I have one of those 'Homer' (D'oh!) moments. :D

Kim

sportsterrific
25th November 2004, 04:20
Stop laughing! What a cool idea! Chop a hole in your garage floor just big enough for the top of the jack to sit level with the floor. Do a neat job of it & it would be brilliant! You could park your car right over the jack with no storage hassles. Roll your bike in place when you need it and PRESTO, up she goes!
Seriously, anyone think of any drawbacks? Laugh behind my back if you must!

FastFwd
25th November 2004, 04:57
Trip hazard. 'Course I'm a clumsy bastard when I've had a few. :drinkup ;)

XLFREAK
25th November 2004, 05:16
Well, I want 50% on all the profits made on the sale of the subterranian floor jack.

Moved On
25th November 2004, 05:41
Where do those of you using the Craftsman lift set it under the bike?
I put mine here:
http://home.twcny.rr.com/embedded/pictures/craftsman2.jpg

I had a hell of a time getting around the jiffy stand until I finally got the angle grinder out and removed the braces circled below. It didn't seem to effect the strength of the stand any, and made it much easier (possible) to position.
http://home.twcny.rr.com/embedded/pictures/craftsman1.jpg

Gary