PDA

View Full Version : New style SE air cleaner and Slip-ons

sdinse
18th February 2005, 07:21
I'm not too sure how long ago the SE Air Cleaner was revised, but the cost is no longer around $64 like I've read in a lot of modding stories. The one I just ordered lists at around $110, discounted down to $88. What are the differences between the older version and the current one? Any performance difference? Will all the older jetting formulas still be accurrate with this new design? In other words, does the new flow as well as the old?

Also where is the best place to get jets for my stock CV? I haven't been able to locate just jets online, only much more expensive jetting kits. I'm planning on using the new SE air cleaner with some new Cycle Shack tapered slip-ons. That's another online shopping nightmare - is EVERYONE out of stock on these? :cry1

Comments?

Thanks,
Steve

gronk62
18th February 2005, 08:39
G'day Steve.
I have the SE air cleaner on my 04. Part # 29042-04.
At first I though it was ok but its been on my bike for about 9 months and 15,000 kms and I don't like it at all anymore. The paper filter has developed a lot of holes and the molded plastic backplate is warping.
I don't know what differences there is between the one I have and the "new revised" model but if they are still using the crappy paper filter then I would recommend getting a different product.

This is what I am replacing mine with...

http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/product_images/d/s/2/600pix/ds288880.jpg

and this air cleaner cover...

http://www.hmhd.com/hdimagesbig/29138-91.jpg

Here's a link to another thread discussing air cleaner options matey :) ....Air Cleaners (http://www.xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2887&page=1&pp=10)

gronk62
18th February 2005, 08:42
I just realised it's your first post here so Welcome to The XL Forum matey :)

sdinse
18th February 2005, 17:14
Thanks for the info. I was not aware that the SE filter used a paper element. I was under the impression that it had a reusable filter element similar to the K&N, but dry, not oiled. Hmmmmm . . . :rolleyes:

socal1200c
18th February 2005, 17:51
I don't know about the tapered ones but there are a few slash cut on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4528882199&category=35573

sdinse
18th February 2005, 20:02
Actually I just got an Email response from Jim's and he says that he has both tapered and slash cut in stock for $109. I'm placing my order today. WooHoo! :clap

xena
18th February 2005, 20:15
sdinse -
The SE air cleaner is a washable paper element. I too think it's a piece of crap. I've got about 2k miles on mine and it's got holes in the paper part of it. I'm switching over to the same setup as Turbota, which I'm sure you'll come across a thread with a pic of his setup if you stroll around enough. I don't know what the big differences are between the "old style" and this new style one, but again I think it's a piece of shit.
Good find on those mufflers. Hopefully the other guys who are looking to buy will see your post.

oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

vetteguy
18th February 2005, 22:40
Actually I just got an Email response from Jim's and he says that he has both tapered and slash cut in stock for $109. I'm placing my order today. WooHoo! :clap
Does he have a website? Thanks, Guy

xl1200r
19th February 2005, 00:27
The SE unit for the 04+ bikes are garbage. better than stock, ut not good - nothing like what they used to be like for the older bikes. I was also always under the impression that they were always around $100.

I went with the Pro-Series HyperCharger because I like the looks. Anything will flow better than the SE unit.

sdinse
19th February 2005, 01:53
VetteGuy:
Here is where I found the CS Slip-Ons http://www.jimscycleshop.com/index.html

As to the SE AC; all the articles I have read online seem to be unanimous that the SE flows as well if not better than almost any of the aftermarket ACs. Maybe that was true of the old unit at the time that was written, but a lot of time has passed since then. At least enough time for HD to redesign it. Whether the new one is better or worse remains to be seen.

Thanks everybody,
Steve

gronk62
19th February 2005, 08:57
Thanks for the info. I was not aware that the SE filter used a paper element. I was under the impression that it had a reusable filter element similar to the K&N, but dry, not oiled. Hmmmmm . . . :rolleyes:
Yes well its supposed to be reusable. :frownthre
Mine was ok for the first few thousand km's and I've washed it a cuppla times in warm soapy water like the instructions say but the paper they used is just not thick enough or robust enough to last very long. (Turbota made a comment on this last year and he was dead right!!)
Mine is gettin so full of holes now that it can't possibly be doin a very good job of filtering. So I stay away from dusty roads etc...until my new "big sucker" arrives. :)

rbuier
20th February 2005, 06:46
gronk62, when is your new a/c supposed to arrive?

gronk62
20th February 2005, 06:55
gronk62, when is your new a/c supposed to arrive?They are tellin me they should get a shippment of 'em at the end of Feb so I should recieve mine in the first week of march. But like what always happens, there'll prolly be some kinda delay.
I'll post a mini review once I have it installed on my bike.:)

traveler
20th February 2005, 17:30
I had a Hypercharger on my old bike, and it made a BIG difference. Comes with a K&N filter. Of course you will have to oil it, but it's not like you have to do it all of the time, maybe once a season AT MOST. Then again, I don't ride on dirt at all, so it never gets dirty. Jetting it will also be a little trial and error I'm afraid.

joe