PDA

View Full Version : carb leaking....help!

billas 100th
19th February 2005, 02:44
I have not run my bike for about a week now and when I finally decide to ride it. the fuel started to leak from somewhere in the carb. I had the petcock on the "off" and when I turned it to the "on" position it would flood a lot. I just took out the air filter and noticed that I have the CV type carb. Can anybody help me? :cry1

stevo
19th February 2005, 02:48
Take it for a quick run......it sounds like you have a bit of crud caught in the needle and seat...... a run may disloge it...

If it doesn't ya need to pull the carby off and clean it and also clean out the screen in the tank.....

Have a look thru the posts in this section...there's a few links to how to's

billas 100th
19th February 2005, 02:57
but the problem is when I turn the petcock to the "on" position the bike just dies out like it really floods a lot then when I turn it "off" it will run until the fuel runs out. :cry1

stevo
19th February 2005, 03:05
OK...ya gonna have to go in....brace yaself........

Buy some carby cleaner first......spraying that thru the different orifices of the carb helps a lot to clean out the crud..

DO you have a manual????????

It tells ya how in there or as I said read thru the threads in this section 'cos there's some links to some sites with "how to's"

Unfortunately.. I just do it as I've done that many, so it's difficult for me to guide ya thru all the basics as I miss a lot of steps.....

billas 100th
19th February 2005, 03:11
I'll try that now. Could it be that the float is not working? I have the manual but I have my bike at work. I asked my wife to drop-off the manual to me today. Fortunately I work for an Auto dealer so I have acces to carb cleaners.

stevo
19th February 2005, 03:20
If the float is stuck it will cause it....

But it's more likely to be a bit of shit stuck on the seat between the needle and seat.....ya may be lucky enough to get it by just taking the fuel hose off the carby and squirting a little carb cleaner in there with the long nozzle........
leave it evaporate for a while before ya try to start it tho.....

You can also come in from underneath by undoing the 4 screws that hold the float bowl on and squirt into the needle and seat with the nozzle of the carb cleaner.....this is pretty awkward tho..

If you do take the carb off then smear some silicone grease or O-ring lube on the carb to intake manifold seal before ya put it back on...

other than that follow the manual

billas 100th
19th February 2005, 04:05
Thanks stevo!