PDA

View Full Version : First long ride test. Some good things - Some bad things

osgoor
12th June 2006, 14:22
Took my 04 1200R for my first long (for me) ride. Did a little over 300 miles.

The good: The bike ran great no problems. I just had the carb cleaned and
tweaked so wanted to test this.

The bad: After 200 miles my lower back was aching. If I sat up straighter it
helped but it's not a natural position.

After about the same mileage my butt hurt. I bought a Mustang Royal
2-up seat for just this issue and was dissapointed that my butt still
suffered.

Any thoughts on curing my two bad points?

snowman
12th June 2006, 14:30
Took my 04 1200R for my first long (for me) ride. Did a little over 300 miles.

The good: The bike ran great no problems. I just had the carb cleaned and
tweaked so wanted to test this.

The bad: After 200 miles my lower back was aching. If I sat up straighter it
helped but it's not a natural position.

After about the same mileage my butt hurt. I bought a Mustang Royal
2-up seat for just this issue and was dissapointed that my butt still
suffered.

Any thoughts on curing my two bad points?

First: congrats on your first long ride!!! Just got done with 1500 miles in four days myself:banana:banana:banana

Second is that your seat will take time to break in so give it the summer to get used to it and it used to you!!!

Third is you may want to check your handle bar position relative to your "upright" position. Maybe just a tweak back might solve the issue. Might need a new set that brings the controls futher back to you....:wonderlan:wonderlan:wonderlan

4banger
12th June 2006, 15:37
Maybe some forward pegs so you can stretch out and lean back a little.

Paulie420
12th June 2006, 16:26
Or, just for a change try putting you legs on the rear pegs for a few miles... just to change it up. Helped me out on the longer runs...

ZanexGt
12th June 2006, 16:38
Congrats on your first long ride! I did 300 miles last year on my completely stock 883C. That included a stock seat! Needless to say, I have since purchased a Mustang Wide Solo to make a more comfortable ride. After 300 miles on the stock seat, it was painful to sit on anything!

Carl-04XL
12th June 2006, 16:45
I agree. Try adjusting and/or relocating your bars and add highway pegs. If your legs are long enough, get forward controls, but keep the mid pegs.

And, let the seat break in. I've put 8700 miles on Lily since the summer of 04, all on a stock seat. Boy, that really makes the buns ache on my azz since I seem to have all my padding on the sides. :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack BUT, I got a Sundowner on 'Brown'. Should be here tomorrow if their estimate can be believed.

Jimbo999
12th June 2006, 17:02
I Always wear a back brace with suspenders on long rides.
Mine is velcro belted, Black and hardly noticeable.
The suspenders keep your back straight. Mine also has ribs
in the back and magnets ( mags do nothing )
Makes things a lot better. Especially the next day stiffness was reduced 75%.

osgoor
12th June 2006, 18:14
Thanks for the feedback so far... keep it coming. I should have mentioned that I do have highway pegs and use them occasionally. The AC cover (SE) sticks out enough to be irritating. I also bought a back brace recently and have used it once. I will try a few more times to see if it will help.

If I change bars from stock, what else do I need to change?

Y2K
12th June 2006, 19:05
Best fix I've found is a bigger bike :sofa
I have a Sporty and an E-Glide.
Love riding the Sporty but 300 miles in a day and I'd be beat up.
300 miles on the Glide isn't even a good warm up.
I'll do 700 miles before monkey but starts setting in and then be ready to do it again the next day.:smoke

Danny3nose
12th June 2006, 19:15
Thanks for the feedback so far... keep it coming. I should have mentioned that I do have highway pegs and use them occasionally. The AC cover (SE) sticks out enough to be irritating.

Check out NRHS.
http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partshurricaneflow.shtml#HurricaneFlow Air Cleaners for 2004-up Sportsters

The have an offset kit for the AC that might get it out of your way. And it's of way better quality than the SE version. Plus, they are supporting vendors here.