PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Bike is TOO FAST

BlueHen
13th June 2006, 16:02
So this morning while riding into work I got clocked going 75 down an industrial highway where the speed limit is a ridiculous 35. When the cop pulled me over, I tried to explain that I really had no control over the matter, that this bike just needs to go a minimum of 70 or it gets very angy with me. :madtwo. He didn't get it, cut me a ticket for going 60, told me to contest it, and that we could work something out in court.

In all my years of riding Kawasakis, Suzukis and BMWs, I have never had a speeding problem. Is there something I can do to make my bike more like those so I can avoid these expensive (this :censor one's :censor $167:censor ) tickets?

leo
13th June 2006, 16:06
sorry about your ticket, but your story made me laugh.
i hate getting tickets.

NRHS Sales
13th June 2006, 16:08
If your ticket is only $167 for 25 over you are getting off lucky!

tcspannerwrench
13th June 2006, 16:09
i dont know if it is true but i have heard that bikes are hard to "clock" on radar maybe thats why he told you to contest it

LordVngr
13th June 2006, 16:16
Hmmm, I wouldnt have believed you either if I was the cop. You should have said something like But Officer, I just rebuilt my carb and was out test riding it. The Dam throttle cables got stuck. Better then telling him the bike Has to do at least 70. Funny story but sorry about the ticket.

LV

decrago
13th June 2006, 16:22
I got clocked for going 81 in a 55 and the cop that stopped me said that since I was sober, he wouldn't take me to jail because anything over 25 over and they take you to jail. You got lucky.

csaintg
13th June 2006, 16:23
The reason he told you to contest it is because he wasn't a d_ck. He probably rode himself, and didn't want to write you up even though you were going 25 over. Your story about not being able to control your own bike was total B_llsh_t, and he knew it! Take your lumps, pay your ticket, and watch your speed! Don't become one of those statistics that makes all of us bikers look like a_sholes like those street racers do!

BlueHen
13th June 2006, 16:39
Hey csaintg, I didn't really tell him the bike won't go less than 70 - that's just what I was thinking. In fact, I didn't say much of anything at all. I was the only vehicle on a four lane road in either direction along a deserted strip of refineries. There was no other moving object within a mile of me. I knew I was screwed from the start.:doh :doh :doh

Funny thing is, though, the ticket says he didn't use a radar gun. Under the speed timing device used section he wrote "self." Does this improve my chances?

raysheen
13th June 2006, 16:42
Funny thing is, though, the ticket says he didn't use a radar gun. Under the speed timing device used section he wrote "self." Does this improve my chances?
umm yeah...I'm no expert by any means...though there are other people here that will know more...but it sounds to me like he's trying to cut you a bit of a break :)

LordVngr
13th June 2006, 16:57
Hey csaintg, I didn't really tell him the bike won't go less than 70 - that's just what I was thinking. In fact, I didn't say much of anything at all. I was the only vehicle on a four lane road in either direction along a deserted strip of refineries. There was no other moving object within a mile of me. I knew I was screwed from the start.:doh :doh :doh

If you didnt say much of anything then go to court and give them some bs story about sticking throttle cables And take a reciept from someone on here or from somewhere showing work to carb. this might actually get you out of it.

When I was a kid I had a 68 firebird 400. It was wet out and a cop watched me Slide/fishtail around a corner ( I love that shit :shhhh ). Wrote me up for reckless driving. Took it to court and had a reciept for a rebuilt automatic transmission. Told the judge the bands in the tranny were slipping and I had to rebuild it.

It was Very Obvious the judge didnt believe me, even told me he tried the same thing when he was a kid BUT because I had a reciept he dismissed the case. It was funny. People were actually laughing as I walked out of the court room. Its worth a shot. beats 165.00 bucks and points and a increase in insurance.

If I was you I'd take the bike to the dealer and complain of sticking throttle and have them look at it. They wont find anything of course But will probably lube the cables and slide and give you a reciept for such work. Go to court with the reciept and tell the judge on the day in question you was out test riding the bike and the throttle stuck open. Dam near Killed you. Tell him you took it right back to the dealer and show him the reciept. Play your cards right and I can almost gurantee the judge will dismiss the case. Thats how I would handle that. My 2 cents...

LV

JohnT
13th June 2006, 17:03
And when that semi slowly pulled out of the parking lot, thinking it was safe to do so on that 35 mph industrial highway, and you slammed into the side of it, that would have been whose fault?

Sorry, just thinking about the Roethlisberger thread.

Samickguy15
13th June 2006, 17:03
He would have had to be pacing you, like in traffic for it to be "self". You could definately get out of the ticket, but slow it down next time. No use in having to take off work for court and all. It's amazing how much shit you can get out of with a receipt for something (throttle cable, exhaust patch, etc.)

raysheen
13th June 2006, 17:08
...give them some bs story...
beats 165.00 bucks and points and a increase in insurance. My 2 cents...

oh come on seriously??? I say either pay the fine or just go to court and work something out like the officer offered...giving a BS story will just look like a BS story...working something out will actually work AND you get to keep your integrity to boot while not lying to the judge...heck he admitted to speeding, I don't even see what there is to contest but maybe I'm just old fashioned :roflblack :laugh

klown
13th June 2006, 17:12
Is there something I can do to make my bike more like those so I can avoid these expensive (this :censor one's :censor $167:censor ) tickets?

You should get a 1200 to 883 conversion :smoke

alainmengoli
13th June 2006, 17:13
I'll swap you the parts :)

raysheen
13th June 2006, 17:14
You should get a 1200 to 883 conversion :smoke
it will never be a REAL 883 though :D ...it will always just be a conversion

decrago
13th June 2006, 17:19
I do believe they teach cops to visually determine the speed a vehicle is traveling. Every ticket I fought, which is approximately 10 (from when I was a kid) the magistrate always asked if the officer 'visually' clocked my speed also. Of course, they always did. I deserved every ticket I ever got except one, when a van hauled ass past me, doing the speed limit, and the cop pulled me over instead.

With that said, I got out of 3 tickets by the cop never showing up to fight it. You automatically win when that happens.

LordVngr
13th June 2006, 17:27
oh come on seriously??? I say either pay the fine or just go to court and work something out like the officer offered...giving a BS story will just look like a BS story...working something out will actually work AND you get to keep your integrity to boot while not lying to the judge...heck he admitted to speeding, I don't even see what there is to contest but maybe I'm just old fashioned :roflblack :laugh

All's I can tell you is a cop wrote me up for reckless driving when I was about 22 and I got the case dismissed because I had a reciept for a rebuilt tranny. telling them a Story is one thing. Having a Reciept from a legitimate business for work your complaining about goes a Long Way.

LV

Carl-04XL
13th June 2006, 17:43
I got one from CHP back in '77. Just got off work early (swing shift), and this was also the same day I completed the MSF Instructor course. :doh

Anyway, I had exited the USAF base and there wasn't another vehicle in sight in any direction. I got straightened out on the road and hit it. I must have gotten up to at least 85 before having to haul it down a little for a sweeping left curve. I goosed it coming out of the curve and again must have passed 80 before coming to a sharp righthander. Well there was a traffic light about 150 yards after that curve and it was red. While I was sitting there the CHP pulled up behind me and when the light turned green we both made a left and his lights came on. DAMN. The CHPy asked me if I knew how fast I was going. Not really knowing I said no. He said that he couldn't catch me, but was only going to write me for 10 over the posted limit of 45. I thanked him, took the ticket and paid the fine. Since the road I was pulled over on was also the exit from the main gate of the base, only several people I knew saw me... :doh

But, man that Suzy Titan could move. I even got a little airborn going over a raised section where RR tracks crossed the road.

The only time I've been 'legimately' pulled for speeding on a bike. Got a couple while in a cage though... :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

hybriDatsun350
13th June 2006, 17:53
I hate tickets, but I'v never seen somebody say that their sportster was too fast! I mean honestly, these things arent exactly race bikes haha. O well, I just say go to court and pay the ticket. I don't know what the law is in your state, but in California you are eligible for traffic school at the speed you were written up for.

CT1200
13th June 2006, 18:39
If it was a nice stright road the cops tend to time between land marks and can tell how fast your were going just by using a stopwatch. Now its no where an exact # but if you beat the time by a big margin you bet your getting pulled over. Town cops like to do this because they don't get to play with alot of the new toys that stateys get to test and beat the crap out of.

H@mbone!
13th June 2006, 18:49
Yeah I agree should of told them your cables got caught and keep speeding up couldn't do nothing about it. Used that excuse on my Firebird told them the floor mat stuck under the gas pedal and I couldn't slow it down. They believed me and let me off with a warning. Was doing like 85 in a 35.

BlueHen
13th June 2006, 19:28
Worst part about this is I have no idea how I'm going to explain to the wife that I still NEED the Stage 1 upgrade. Oh well, its sunny and 80 degrees today, so at least I have a nice SLOW ride home to look forward to.:tour

melcheld
13th June 2006, 19:52
I do believe they teach cops to visually determine the speed a vehicle is traveling. Every ticket I fought, which is approximately 10 (from when I was a kid) the magistrate always asked if the officer 'visually' clocked my speed also. Of course, they always did.

That is correct. An officer will pick two points on the road that have a known distance between them. When you cross point 1, he/she starts counting 1-one thousand, 2-one thousand, etc. Since Distance/Time=Speed, they can get a rough estimate of how fast you're traveling.

Anywho, I say a person is very lucky to get only a citation for doing 40mph over the posted limit (75 in a 35). That's over double! Most places I've lived, they take you to jail for reckless endangerment for that. Fight the ticket if you want, but don't use some BS story to do it.

Cheers,

Luke

bplinson
13th June 2006, 20:27
So this morning while riding into work I got clocked going 75 down an industrial highway where the speed limit is a ridiculous 35. When the cop pulled me over, I tried to explain that I really had no control over the matter, that this bike just needs to go a minimum of 70 or it gets very angy with me. :madtwo. He didn't get it, cut me a ticket for going 60, told me to contest it, and that we could work something out in court.

In all my years of riding Kawasakis, Suzukis and BMWs, I have never had a speeding problem. Is there something I can do to make my bike more like those so I can avoid these expensive (this :censor one's :censor $167:censor ) tickets?

You could buy MissyD's Sportster....from what I hear it hardly even starts! :banana

BWP 5p
13th June 2006, 20:40
it will never be a REAL 883 though :D ...it will always just be a conversion

NOOOOOOOOOOO :doh :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lurch77
14th June 2006, 06:54
I hate tickets, but I'v never seen somebody say that their sportster was too fast! I mean honestly, these things arent exactly race bikes haha.

Not a race bike, but that doesn't mean they are not fast. What are the stock numbers for the 1200? 0-60 in 4.6 seconds? That's Corvette territory. That makes us faster than probably 95% of the vehicles on the road. :smoke

csaintg
15th June 2006, 10:33
I'll buy MissyD's bike, I need a project for my kid. How much does she want for it? :tour

showmebandit
15th June 2006, 12:46
You were able to ride that fast OVER the limit...guess you should be able to pay the ticket....DOn't play if ya cant pay I say...

RIORoosen
15th June 2006, 13:58
When I lived in Boston, I was a frequent visitor at traffic court :doh and the usefull bits of info I can share with you are:

1. Contest every ticket!! The fact that you even show up, is reason enough for the traffic judge to reduce the financial penalty associated with the ticket.
You might not get out of the points, but at least you'll have some cash left over for the Stage 1 !! :roflblack

2. Show up for your hearing!! If you show up..see point 1. Plus, if the arresting officier is not there or your paperwork dissapears(which happens more often than you would think) the case gets dismised.

I would indeed try to get some kind of receipt to back up any and all claims you make to the judge...comes across as you having your sh*t together and not just the typical ...'it wasn't me'!!

Just my experience...:tour

Samickguy15
15th June 2006, 17:01
I have to agree with the following...

When I lived in Boston, I was a frequent visitor at traffic court :doh and the usefull bits of info I can share with you are:

1. Contest every ticket!! The fact that you even show up, is reason enough for the traffic judge to reduce the financial penalty associated with the ticket.
You might not get out of the points, but at least you'll have some cash left over for the Stage 1 !! :roflblack

2. Show up for your hearing!! If you show up..see point 1. Plus, if the arresting officier is not there or your paperwork dissapears(which happens more often than you would think) the case gets dismised.

I would indeed try to get some kind of receipt to back up any and all claims you make to the judge...comes across as you having your sh*t together and not just the typical ...'it wasn't me'!!

Just my experience...:tour