PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problems (no fire) from coil?

gnzlsg
13th June 2006, 16:15
How do you troubleshoot the ignition (2000 Sportster custom) without changing the module as first thing, bike cranks but no fire? Here are the facts there is no spark to plugs. Hereís whatís been replaced so far, plugs wires and coil, so the problem is before it reaches the coil. Is there any thing I can check before replacing module or is this the next step? What was also done was we unplugged the ignition wire harness before it ignition (I knew it would not start but I wanted to see symptoms) cranked just the same? Is maybe the problem before module? Iíve read that it could be the ignition sensor or the maybe cam shaft sensor?

chrishajer
13th June 2006, 17:19
I think I might have posted something in another thread related to this:

http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showpost.php?p=398343&postcount=7

I did not realize at the time that we were talking about two different bikes. Sorry.

The bike will crank until the battery is dead with no module in it. The starter circuit is not related. Do you have a service manual? There is a systematic approach to testing the ignition. Replacing the module is a quick way to see if that's the problem, but if you don't have a spare module to try, then it's an expensive way to troubleshoot.

--Chris

cantolina
13th June 2006, 17:54
How do you troubleshoot the ignition (2000 Sportster custom) without changing the module as first thing, bike cranks but no fire? Here are the facts there is no spark to plugs. Hereís whatís been replaced so far, plugs wires and coil, so the problem is before it reaches the coil. Is there any thing I can check before replacing module or is this the next step? What was also done was we unplugged the ignition wire harness before it ignition (I knew it would not start but I wanted to see symptoms) cranked just the same? Is maybe the problem before module? Iíve read that it could be the ignition sensor or the maybe cam shaft sensor?

Chris is right....

You have to put the cart before the horse... :)

The manual has the best method...

gnzlsg
13th June 2006, 21:21
This is helpful info, now where do I find this manual? I bought this bike used and i dont have any literature on it. I was on Ebay and I found a cd that reads:

2000-2003 Sportster Service & Parts Information CD
You are bidding on a CD with Service & Parts information for ALL Sportsters
from 2000 to 2003.

Find those part numbers for parts you need to find before asking that Parts Person.

Over 500 pages of Service and Parts informationon this CD.
Comes in PDF file format and Acrobat Reader 6.0 is included to view the files
CD is Searchable, Not just images!
Parts are shown in breakdown sequence showing Part Numbers,
Detailed Pictures and Diagrams and More for ALL Sportsters
from 2000 to 2003

Am I on the right track with this product?

chrishajer
13th June 2006, 22:01
That is a bootleg copy, not a legal copy. I can't vouch for the information there. I have no idea what the CD includes.

There are legitimate service manuals on eBay, just not on CD. There are Clymer's and the Official HD manual.

http://search.ebay.com/harley-service-manual_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQfposZ60546QQfromZ R10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZQ2d1QQs adisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZ unknown

The Service Manual is what you need (the Factory or the Clymer one, but I prefer the Factory one.) You can buy it from a dealer or the aftermarket. The part number is 99484-00A, 2000 XL Models Service Manual and it's $58 retail. There are vendors that sell parts at a discount, Zanotti's being one of them I've seen mentioned here. I've never bought anything from them, so I can't speak personally.

http://www.zanottimotor.com/PartsDept.html

I would not consider working on your bike without the Service Manual.

--Chris

JNS3242
13th June 2006, 22:42
I just went thru that on my 89 evo. Ended up being the module..

gnzlsg
14th June 2006, 17:28
I think it is the module the led doesnít light at all, either that or the problem is before the module; all experts suggest itís the module though.

chrishajer
14th June 2006, 17:31
Well, all experts can't be wrong, can they?

:p

I still think you need a manual. You can figure it out for yourself. Everything else is just a guess.

--Chris